Here's a thinker.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Reason for NaCl and not Ringers Lactate?
Sorry for asking but I'm still studying.

Regards
S
Probably because ambulances carrying LR seem to be few and far between I'd guess.

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
Here in South Africa RL is used for most patients. 200ml NaCL is used in patients that require drugs but not a vast amount of fluids.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Do we know her blood type? If not then see if anyone nearby by an O- and get them to start a STAT transfusion. The ER can wait.
You're matching and carrying blood products on a BLS ambulance. okay.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I'm certain that was in jest

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh totally we do. We're also just certified as Medical First Responders, not EMTs. We also do C-Sections in the ambulance.
pssh. Call us when you're scope catches up to the latest brain surgeries ;P

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-11-20-06-55.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-20-06-55.png
    638.8 KB · Views: 233

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
pssh. Call us when you're scope catches up to the latest brain surgeries ;P

Our medical director (who is the local mortician and is highly educated with an Associates Degree in Mortuary Studies) just isn't that progressive. We asked him if we could do neurosurgery by taking the 30 minute ConEd course but he said "no". Can you believe that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our medical director (who is the local mortician and is highly educated with an Associates Degree in Mortuary Studies) just isn't that progressive. We asked him if we could do neurosurgery by taking the 30 minute ConEd course but he said "no". Can you believe that?
So if you kill patients that means a boost for him?

Summit

Critical Crazy

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Sounds like a behavioral issue. Was she tachy when you guys got there? She would have to be profoundly hypotensive to be completely unresponsive. You are not going to bleed out because you had a few wisdom teeth pulled! Also consider that many people vagal when they see their own blood. That could account for fluctuating blood pressures.
The hospital considered an odd reaction to her conscious sedation meds? I suppose that's possible, but it just seems really unlikely that she would have effects for that long. Perhaps the hospital also thought it was a behavioral issue but had to admit her to an ICU bed because of her "unresponsive" episodes.

OP
OP
NTXFF

NTXFF

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a behavioral issue. Was she tachy when you guys got there? She would have to be profoundly hypotensive to be completely unresponsive. You are not going to bleed out because you had a few wisdom teeth pulled! Also consider that many people vagal when they see their own blood. That could account for fluctuating blood pressures.
The hospital considered an odd reaction to her conscious sedation meds? I suppose that's possible, but it just seems really unlikely that she would have effects for that long. Perhaps the hospital also thought it was a behavioral issue but had to admit her to an ICU bed because of her "unresponsive" episodes.
It wasn't behavioral. She had an adverse reaction to the antibiotic and propofal. She's still in the hospital but has been downgraded to a PCU bed. It was one of those ones where not much made sense. I also wasn't lead on this particular call, just taken as a third rider as I was riding the engine. I enjoyed the responses on here though. Some made me laugh and some made we wonder what we could of done differently! Thanks for everyone's responses. As far as tachy she was bouncing between brady and tachy to the point where we had I wanna say 10 different strips by the time we got to the hospital. Her body and vitals were all over the place. She stayed in ICU on a ventilator for 6 days after not being intubated for 3.