Help with fitness

AND1

Forum Probie
Hello lady's and gents. I recently was in the fire academy down here in south florida. I did well on my pat. 3:43 first time. But as far as running i'm not doing so well. I was told to change my class so that i won't fail out. I don't know what to do to be abel to run two miles. Without being out of breath. So i'm asking for some pointers from others. Any ideas would help so i can make it to the march class.

spikestac211

Forum Probie
Practice! Lots of it. There are tons of methods online to best maximize your training (Run a certain miles on one day, a different number the next, mixing sprinting and jogging, etc)... I can't get into those too much.

Get good running shoes that fit YOUR feet, hydrate lots, and remember mind over matter. Your mind gives up much sooner than your body does.

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
duplicate..........oops

Last edited by a moderator:

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
Hello lady's and gents. I recently was in the fire academy down here in south florida. I did well on my pat. 3:43 first time. But as far as running i'm not doing so well. I was told to change my class so that i won't fail out. I don't know what to do to be abel to run two miles. Without being out of breath. So i'm asking for some pointers from others. Any ideas would help so i can make it to the march class.

1. Buy a pedometer

2. Buy a stop watch

3. Buy a properly fitting comfortable pair of running shoes

4. Run for 2minutes at a comfortable pace then walk for 3minutes (1cycle=5minutes). Complete 6 cycles so that your total activity time is 30 minutes. As your fitness improves, and it will if you do this AT LEAST 3 times a week your running portion will lengthen and your walking/recovery period will shorten and you are now running continuously for thirty minutes.

5. Now start using the pedometer on your runs so you know how far you are going in the 30 minutes.

6. Once you know the distance, forget running for thirty minutes. Start running your course faster - shoot to make improvements of 10-30s per run. The increase in intensity (by running faster) will greatly improve your work capacity and ability to tolerate what gets thrown at you at the academy.

7. Keep a training log (so you always press forward and don't stagnate) and keep us updated on your progress.

8. After step 6 let the board know you have accomplished the first part so that speed work can be added to your regime.

9. Remember: you are capable of much greater performance than what you think. Its going to be uncomfortable, embrace it, don't fear it. When the training gets uncomfortable, that is when the body makes the greatest adaptations.

10. It doesn't hurt to check in with your doc to make sure there are not any hidden predispositions that could trip you up

have fun

airraid

Forum Ride Along

Please tell me you don't smoke.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Make sure your diet is sufficient for your needs also. If you don't give your body the fuel and recovery it needs you will have a much harder time.

What is the PAT down there?

OP
OP
A

AND1

Forum Probie
The pat is 3 flights of stairs, pull up a hose, keiser sled, a hose drag for 100 feet., and a dummy 175 for 100 ft. I did good 3:43 and they give us 7 min. Then on the last day to pass you have to do all that in gear in under 5 min. I did all the other training good, just haven't ran in a long time. Also i didn't run before i went into the academy. Cause all academy's train different. The one i was suppose to go to they only build you up to run 1 mile. That's i.r.sc. I believe from what other students told me. But at coral springs fire academy, it's like a military training. Not a bad thing cause we can all use discipline. So i just got to ready my self for them.. Thanks for all you help guys.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Hopefully you don't chew/dip either.

NC_EMT

Forum Probie
I definitely agree with the mind over matter statement. When I first enlisted in the Navy I was a pack a day smoker. Our first PRT was 60 sit-ups and 50 push-ups I believe, and 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes. I failed miserably on the run. A week later I put my mind to it (along with popping 1600mg Ibuprofen about an hour before) I whipped that A**.

OP
OP
A

AND1

Forum Probie
i definitely agree with the mind over matter statement. When i first enlisted in the navy i was a pack a day smoker. Our first prt was 60 sit-ups and 50 push-ups i believe, and 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes. I failed miserably on the run. A week later i put my mind to it (along with popping 1600mg ibuprofen about an hour before) i whipped that a**.

what does the 1600 mg of ibuprofen do ?

tjbroussard

Forum Crew Member
1600 mg?

Might want to check that dose first IMHO. Lot's of potential issues with Ibuprofen at that range.

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
Might want to check that dose first IMHO. Lot's of potential issues with Ibuprofen at that range.

Agreed. Popping NSAIDs to mask pain and exercise induced inflammation isn't exactly the brightest move in terms of long term health. This is especially true with shin splints as it can develop into something very nasty if left unchecked but is entirely within your scope to fix if addressed early and appropriately. Get to the root of the problem don't just treat the symptoms.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed. Popping NSAIDs to mask pain and exercise induced inflammation isn't exactly the brightest move in terms of long term health. This is especially true with shin splints as it can develop into something very nasty if left unchecked but is entirely within your scope to fix if addressed early and appropriately. Get to the root of the problem don't just treat the symptoms.
Wait a minute...didn't you do some exercise Q&A for EMS personnel awhile back? What were the results?

OP
OP
A

AND1

Forum Probie
Well i'm on my second day of spin class, plus going jogging a little at a time. I appreciate all of you guys help. Will keep you posted as my results progress.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Do what those on the job do:
http://www.firegroundfitness.com/

I learned a lot from this site while I was training for my CPAT, and I absolutely blew it away:
http://rosstraining.com/blog/

Also if you can do the 100 burpee challenge in under 7:00 (legit burpees, not a weak 2" of air) you can pretty much conquer the world. 10:00 should be a good starting point for the academy.

Circuits of DB/KB swings will condition you for running, although you'll need to condition your shins for 5 mile + runs.

Burpees, burpees, and more burpees. You'll be c**k diesel in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:

z_14k

Forum Ride Along
crossfit is by far one of THE best health and fitness medicines out there..if you really want to stay in shape, crossfit workouts are the best