helicopter landing zone

ericcoch

Forum Probie
anyone have any links or info on setting up a landing zone (lighting,size, making wind, hazards, etc.). My town is looking at picking a few sites and I am looking for general requirements/ rules of thumb.

thanks

tydek07

Forum Captain
anyone have any links or info on setting up a landing zone (lighting,size, making wind, hazards, etc.). My town is looking at picking a few sites and I am looking for general requirements/ rules of thumb.

thanks

Hey, I did some searching on the internet and found this site...

http://www.careflite.org/wFirstResponders/landingzone.aspx

Just google "helicopter landing zone" and you will get site after site after site.

Take Care,

tydek07

Forum Captain
Oh, remember to NEVER point headlights in the direction the helicopter is coming in from... It could temp. blind the pilot.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Pointing lights in an X shape with teh cross in the middle of the landing zone though is good to help illuminate it.

The only time you should ever have headlights up toward the sky is to help illuminate wires or a pole and only if they request that you do that.

FF894

Forum Captain
What program would service you? I would contact them as they may have specific requirements and will help you choose the best areas.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I do. I was researching a CERT article.

Tydek07 has it right, but you need to winnow.
Contact your state and local authorities and the service you want to work with, meet with them. Internet data will give you a little idea, but actual contact with your authroities will do you best.
Ask someone else who has one in your vicinity?

As far as imnprovising, send me an email or IM if you are still in need.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There are many things to consider when choosing a permanent site such as protected property rights of neighbors, zoning present and future of the property and neighboring, various ordiances that some may not be aware of, approach safety such as for obstacles, visibility, fog area, deceiving lights etc. Those that fail to research thoroughly may later run into serious problems. Even major trauma centers have difficulty with all the regulations and some are denied a LZ nearby.

If you rservice does not have a flight program, contact the ones that will be using the LZ and get the necessary information about the regulating agencies from them as well as some input on what they look at for a good LZ. Safety is a big issue.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would coordinate with your local civil air patrol. They helped us set up ours. Even gave us a pilot and a plane to take photos of the sites for our LZ book.

grumpy1

Rotor RN
Most flight services conduct formal LZ classes for the organizations covered in their respective areas. Like others have said contact the service direct and they will assist in setting something up.

Most LZ need to be relatively free of obstructions and at least 70X70 during the day and up to 100X100 at night

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Most flight services conduct formal LZ classes for the organizations covered in their respective areas. Like others have said contact the service direct and they will assist in setting something up.

Most LZ need to be relatively free of obstructions and at least 70X70 during the day and up to 100X100 at night

"At least" is right. It depends on the size of the aircraft they use along with their respective policies and procedures. That is why you need to contact all of the air services that fly into your area. What works fine for one service might not be good enough for another one and vise versa.