Heart ripped out of body by deceleration/ crash

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I know a fire chief and he told me this story about a guy on a motorcycle that was running from the police. Motorcycle man was going 100, maybe more, turned to flick the pursuing cop off and then didn't see a minivan (or such) and slammed into a car.

They pick up all the pieces they could find, then word gets down from the ME that they didn't get the guy's heart.

They said they picked up all the pieces they could and it has to have been there. But I guess it wasn't. So they went to wherever the car had been towed to and in the far side post of the van or such, his heart was there

Someone else told me that he was just pulling my leg and there's no way your heart can rip out of your chest. Book says aortic dissection or such causes 1/3 of the deaths in lateral crashes, but I don't know about the heart leaving the body entirely.

I believe him. He seemed genuine. But then again, but I have been known to believe things that aren't true because I guess I'm gullible, inclined to believe someone if I don't have contrary evidence.

So, fact or fiction? Am I the joke this time?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
ehhh sounds questionable, but trauma can do weird stuff. the body would have to open due to the trauma, the ribcage separate, all the tissues layers separate, and then all the vasculature would have to be sheared off the heart.

So it is possible? I guess.....

would I believe it? not without pictures.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
So, the heart exits the chest of motorcycle guy at 100 mph, through ribs and clothing, gets planted in metal and remains recognizable?

I'm checking to see if we have a protocol for that...

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
So, the heart exits the chest of motorcycle guy at 100 mph, through ribs and clothing, gets planted in metal and remains recognizable?

I imagine it wasn't very intact. But heck if I know how mushy it was.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Notify the coroner and go back in service?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Years and years ago, on one of those Liveleak type sites, I did see footage a bystander took in the aftermath of a bicycle vs auto (may have been motorcycle vs auto, I forget), that showed the guys heart out by itself on the pavement still twitching.

I suppose it could have been faked, it's been so long I doubt I can dig up said video, that and I dont need the search histories and the FBI wiretap lol

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Years and years ago, on one of those Liveleak type sites, I did see footage a bystander took in the aftermath of a bicycle vs auto (may have been motorcycle vs auto, I forget), that showed the guys heart out by itself on the pavement still twitching.

I suppose it could have been faked, it's been so long I doubt I can dig up said video, that and I dont need the search histories and the FBI wiretap lol
I know the one you refer to.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Check organ donor status and tell rookie to retrieve 10ft life line

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I once had a dude get stabbed with an ice pick in the heart. Insertion site right on V5, penetrated the right ventricle. Probably would have helped a bit if Eager Beaver Bystander Mall Cop hadn’t pulled it out to do CPR...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I’ve seen similar. Motorcycle at high speed vs minivan turning left. Dudes chest wide open, heart on his abd. Someone had covered him with a beach towel. When I saw it I was like.... whoa... and I told fire to let go of c-spine. True story.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
When I had just started as a RT, one of the hospitals I worked at was next to where Canada's largest airshow took place. A British Nimrod recon plane had recently crashed (1995) with no survivors. The ICU doc later explained that his buddy was involved with the investigation and examination of the bodies that were recovered. One of the crew had been decapitated and they couldn't find the head. X-rays revealed that the impact had driven it straight down into the body cavity.

FWIW, I also met a guy who was nailed by a line drive in baseball, hitting the side of his knee. The impact shot his patella out the other side.