Hazard Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
SandpitMedic, I get what you're saying and I agree with some of it, but I wouldn't expect the world or even the country to think more highly of us beyond a couple of months when this is over. That's about how long the honeymoon seemed to last for EMS after 9/11, when I was working in NY. I'm not blaming anyone; the public has a right to value our contributions any way they want. It's just that they have short memories and usually don't need us. Plus, most of them don't even understand what we do, even now. I think we'll just revert to "the ambulance people" in their minds, and stay that way between global crises.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
SandpitMedic, I get what you're saying and I agree with some of it, but I wouldn't expect the world or even the country to think more highly of us beyond a couple of months when this is over. That's about how long the honeymoon seemed to last for EMS after 9/11, when I was working in NY. I'm not blaming anyone; the public has a right to value our contributions any way they want. It's just that they have short memories and usually don't need us. Plus, most of them don't even understand what we do, even now. I think we'll just revert to "the ambulance people" in their minds, and stay that way between global crises.
Perhaps. Time will tell.
We must certainly give it a go though.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m wondering what my personal “quit point” is with regards to pay, conditions and risk. Not going to lie, this “reused single use mask” thing and the whole back-talking “we do the best we can” thing Nomadic and a few others have done doesn’t seem terribly safe in the context of, say, Italy. “It’s the job” sort of rings hollow when those same voices say that proper suits and respirators are too expensive to stock.
I don't think you will ever understand that you do not get to decide exactly what being a paramedic looks like everyday. This job is not just going to conform to every ideal and mandate you have for it, whether you are right or not. There is a reason you get paid to do it, you're providing a service that someone else defined. All these brash posits of what you think is acceptable mean nothing if your employer, patients, and industry don't agree.

As an aside, I think my agency should be paying me more. The engine crews may as not well not respond right now as they are not coming anywhere near a remotely suspected patient unless they're dying. The ambulance paramedic is the one making contact every single call, which means all the transports and refusals. Normally the engines do the refusals and with the volume of non transport we're expecting, my workload is skyrocketing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also food for thought, Wildland Fire has hazard pay when on the line...

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Balderdash.
Also food for thought, Wildland Fire has hazard pay when on the line...

You mean, firefighters get paid extra when the duty is extra-hazardous? Like a sort of...”hazard pay”?
What a concept.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Balderdash.

You mean, firefighters get paid extra when the duty is extra-hazardous? Like a sort of...”hazard pay”?
What a concept.
Not everyone, but the feds do this. I have no idea why, it’s in the job description.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Amazon is hiring a ton, as well.

Having been to some of their warehouses, that is a job desrving of hazard pay.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Having been to some of their warehouses, that is a job desrving of hazard pay.
But it’s their job. I love this circular Nomadic logic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Maybe if I put it picture form, it'll be easier for you to understand.

gru meme.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Not everyone, but the feds do this. I have no idea why, it’s in the job description.
I’m wondering if, in regards to the federal FF’s, it’s because their line of work is both extremely physically demanding, and, seasonal.

And before there’s any finger pointing at how we’re all “in on it”, here’s the feds definition of hazard pay:

Again, it appears the U.S. government deems it necessary for certain federal employees ATM.

//shrugs// @RocketMedic find yourself a federal job. Maybe they employ gurney van drivers at the federal level😁

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I’m wondering if, in regards to the federal FF’s, it’s because their line of work is both extremely physically demanding, and, seasonal.

And before there’s any finger pointing at how we’re all “in on it”, here’s the feds definition of hazard pay:

Again, it appears the U.S. government deems it necessary for certain federal employees ATM.

//shrugs// @RocketMedic find yourself a federal job. Maybe they employ gurney van drivers at the federal level😁

It's always been my understanding that federal jobs have numerous of "extra pay" stipends such as hazard, location, education, etc, and that salaries listed not only don't include that, but don't reflect hours work. As an example, federal firefighters working a 24/48 have an hourly rate of whatever it is, and the salary listed on usajobs is based on that hourly rate times 2080 hours per year, not the 2900 hours actually worked, so their actual salary is much higher..

Monday

Forum Probie
Imo discussion on everything is better than no discussion...

But I'm with that camp figuring it's just normal hazards of the job.

And personally I wouldn't feel justified taking the extra cash. If I were in for cash and benefits as a major motivation I could have went into banking.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Something of note, just because we see business as usual, doesnt mean it is. Some insurance companies don't actually have people at work to process claims, which means no reimbursement at the moment. Which in turn means operations have to anticipate a shortage of cash on hand. Paying hazard pay right now would IMO be a poor business practice.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Something of note, just because we see business as usual, doesnt mean it is. Some insurance companies don't actually have people at work to process claims, which means no reimbursement at the moment. Which in turn means operations have to anticipate a shortage of cash on hand. Paying hazard pay right now would IMO be a poor business practice.
It would also be a poor business practice to send employees into dangerous situations without adequate PPE but here we are...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It would also be a poor business practice to send employees into dangerous situations without adequate PPE but here we are...
Im just making a general comment because I dont want to get involved in a pointless argument with you, but nothing is keeping you there. Youre free to leave whenever you like. I suspect you wont because you enjoy complaining.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Im just making a general comment because I dont want to get involved in a pointless argument with you, but nothing is keeping you there. Youre free to leave whenever you like. I suspect you wont because you enjoy complaining.
I genuinely enjoy what I do. Not sure if it’s long term viable or if I’ll survive this pandemic but reckon it’s fun until I grow up.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I genuinely enjoy what I do. Not sure if it’s long term viable or if I’ll survive this pandemic but reckon it’s fun until I grow up.
Well then, perhaps you are asking the wrong thing/s to the wrong individual/s.

Also, what’s your “grown up” threshold? Mine was 18. Best, first-adult decision I’ve made

Status
Not open for further replies.