Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

mkayk55

Forum Ride Along
passing exams

2 things - 1) have faith in yourself. If you change an answer, make sure you found the correct information in another question. Be 100% sure you need to change an answer. Most of the time your brain will take a 'shortcut' for you and if you overthink it and change an answer, 60% of the time we change them from right to wrong.

2) Well rested, had something to eat (not 18 cups of coffee).

okay 3 things. Throw out the two dumbest answers. Usually there are 2 fairly good answers and 2 really bad answers. Mentally cross off the 2 answers it could not be (Take 1/2 credit for what you DO know). Of the other two, decent answers, if one does not jump out at you then take the most clear, most detailed of the two. Usually you'll come out on top.

Good Luck! Best bang for your buck is review old tests and quizzes. Even if your training program will not let you take them off the premises they will usually let you sit down in a conference room and go over them and turn them back in. If you have old workbooks you've filled out, read through them. Don't go back and try to re-read all your textbooks, you'll go nuts.
Mary,
instructor, examiner
EMT-P program Cleveland Clinic Foundation

highflowdiesel

Forum Ride Along
failed 3x need "24hr refresher"-??

I failed the NREMT 3x, the site says I need a 24hr refresher I do not know where and how to do the refresher, do I go to a class? can I do it online? how would the site know if I did it or not? Im located in Charleston SC.

Thanks

Porky1

Forum Probie
National Registry is very strong on critical thinking. In other words applying what you learned. Unfortunately as an instructor many take the easy way out and develop knowledge level questions which are very easy to write. My suggestion is find study guides that take you through critical thinking. Platinum Education Group is a good source for online critical thinking tests. Jones and Bartlett has a good one and there is one by Dr. Jeff Lindsey (something called flash cards but not sure). Don't be in a big hurry to repeat the test until you feel confident about scenarios and application.

Porky1

Forum Probie
Highflow--
National Registry will not let you take it again until you document that you had 24 hours of refresher training. A refresher course is the easy way but you can take refresher training in the 24 hours of subject matter that NR lists on their website under registration. Healthstream.com has some online training. Hope I helped a little.

toady

Forum Ride Along
I failed the NREMT 3x, the site says I need a 24hr refresher I do not know where and how to do the refresher, do I go to a class? can I do it online? how would the site know if I did it or not? Im located in Charleston SC.

Thanks

Yea we're in the same boat ... i just found out today that i will be doing a refresher course as well. I had above passing in all the sections except OB/Pediatric, which really made my day at work rough. We'll see how things goes for the both of us.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Highflow--
National Registry will not let you take it again until you document that you had 24 hours of refresher training. A refresher course is the easy way but you can take refresher training in the 24 hours of subject matter that NR lists on their website under registration. Healthstream.com has some online training. Hope I helped a little.

Refresher hours + lab/clinical assessment. 24 hours for basic, 36 for Intermediate and 48 hours for Paramedic level.

R/r 911

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
confidence

somehow, when i took my registry on the third attempt, i went in with the, i dont care if i pass or not attitude, i didnt get worked up, didnt get frozen on questions, and answered. idk if this will help but, maybe relax

ctdummy

Forum Ride Along
I failed twice and it bummed me out. I am horrible at taking tests especially ones on the computer. I passed my state fire exam fine but EMT is beating me up. I am willing to take a refresher before the next exam but should I just wait and take this one without it?

The first time I took it was about 2 months after the class and I figured I remembered all that I needed but I was wrong. The sencond time I studied a good deal from a book a friend gave me but it was out dated I think. This time I am going to buy a proper book probably from Brady.

Also, does anyone know of any refresher courses in FL? Hopefully near Central FL? I can take one online but I do better in person!

Thanks for any advice and or help!

JOSH

Forum Probie
Need your help and suggestions

Hi folks, i'm new at this so bear with me. I need some of yall's help if ya got any and your suggestions on the nremt.I have already tookin the class and my skills and tookin the nremt 3x and tired wedsites and some books. One of the books is a brady book and it's called success for the emt and it helps some. so I just want to know whats yall's thoughts and ideas on the nremt.

Last edited by a moderator:

highflowdiesel

Forum Ride Along
Ya man im in the same boat I have that book but try I am trying a diff. approach.. Kinda like sports you have to study pratice what you are going to be doin, so the test is on the computer I am goin to put the books dwn and take as many pratice tests as possible and for the ones I do get wrong I will then hit the books and study that particular subject.. cause there is so much information on one test ..as far as do I like it no I do not like the test at all I am a horrible test taker but cant really come up with an excuse everyone has to do it so get on it dont freak out when u get there and remember you are goin for EMT-B not paramedic ...BSI, ABC's dnt read to far into the question and focus

patrickturner89

Forum Ride Along
NREMT

i HAVE TAKEN THIS TEST 3 TIMES AND NOW NEED REMEDIAL TRAINING.Any thoughts as to where I might get this training. I passed with an A in my class, but for some reason this is killing me.HELP

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I believe if you fail the NREMT CBT three times, you must complete a full EMT class again before retaking the exam. It is clear, despite the fact you may have gotten an A in the class you were not prepared for the NR exam. Take a peek around here for some discussion of different ways to study.
Good Luck!

patrickturner89

Forum Ride Along
NREMT

Thanks dude. The NREMT told me i needed 24hr of remedial training before i could test again, do you know where i can get that?My instructors were pretty lax in preparing us for the NREMT, several people in my class have not passed yet either.Im not blaming my instructors they only taught the curriculum that the were given.

JOSH

Forum Probie
My instructor and I are good friends and he has help me some. I took the 24hr remedail
that ya'll r talkin about. this will make u feel better .He told me that he knew some of the students that have graduate from nurseing school couldn't even pass the nremt.

writchey

Forum Probie
A site that might help

I just passed my NREMT Paramedic a couple of months ago and found this site to be very helpful. It is outstanding site and I found it to be excellent at identifying my weakness's. You can take practive NR Type exams and quizes on all some are all of the areas of study as well. i.e Cardio, Airway etc.

I passed the first time and the I understand that Basic is a bear of a test as well. IT WAS HARD!!!

http://www.emt-national-training.com

Hope this helps..NREMT-Paramedic :rolleyes:

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know how when this was posted, and so I don't really know if you need this info or if you already have it, but when I took the NREMT boards several years ago I studied the mess out of Brady's EMT-B National Standards. I passed my first time, and if I recall it only took about 40 minutes. The book was very helpful and I hope, if you haven't already, it helps you pass the exam. The book, I think, is about $20 at Barnes and Noble book Stores.

Hope this helps you.

ma70star

Forum Ride Along
MOSBY EMT green cover (2005) just don't study the BLS section becasue it was printed before AMHA changed the CPR guidelines. Also the rule of nines in children and infants is wrong. Other than that I studied with that book only for about a month after I finished the class and passed the test first try. All it really takes is confidence in knowing your right, study everyday and study hard before the test (i studied for like 6 hours the night before and would study an average of 2-4 hours a day before that). Other than that if you did well in class you will do fine on the test just DON'T OVER THINK YOU ANSWERES. If you don't know the answere work it out (think of condrications, what the bodies doing, what it needs to do) this way you can work out the question and get the right answere.

Gieves

Forum Ride Along
My Two Cents

Heyo- I'm outrageously bad at taking standardized testing. Infact, I failed the NREMT 2 times before the 3rd time where I passed at 70 Questions. (The correlation between questions and passing has been still made unclear but I believe I was on boarder line of passing both times until the 3rd time). Not really any secret but I did about 1,500 questions from http://www.emt-national-training.com and understood the concept of the questions as well as knew the American heart association guidelines by heart. Both helped me immensely and I hope it helps those who have gone through the EMT book in class 3 or 4 times with still no luck or are missing that one element. Best of luck- Aloha