Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

LividityX

Forum Probie
Just passed NREMT Basic today at question #70

It was a long process to passing I came here last night and did some of the online quizzes and thought I would provide what helped me pass. BTW getting the last question right theory worked for me.

First and foremost...studying your book and knowing your material. I had AAOS 10th edition.

http://emt.emszone.com/ helped me out a bunch! this is a special thing that comes along with the 10th edition AAOS book and a review manual.

Just thought I would provide those information and continue studies to pass the test I know how it feels to fail, just get on your feet and keep on trucking.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
I also passed at 70.

I used the AAOS 10th edition, the green JB NREMT test prep and the JB online test prep. Just an FYI the green NREMT test prep book that is often offered with the AAOS 10th edition, has the exact same questions as the JB online test prep, only It offers a larger test bank of questions.

Some of the stuff I encountered.

I would be sure your comfortable with the rule of nines for both adults and pediatrics and know how to treat burns, know which oxygen delivery device yields the highest tidal volume (mouth to mask) and which device provides the highest concentration of O2 (Two Person BVM with supp. oxygen). Be sure your comfortable with the steps of CPR for infants and adults, as well as how to properly operate the AED. You will likely get a question that asks you what to do after the AED advises a shock, or says "No shock advised" or asks you what to do next in the process. Know how to differentiate between a patient who's experiencing an allergic reaction and one who is not. Know the physiologic effects Narcotics (heroin, Oxycontin, etc) as well as aspirin, etc, have on the body. Know how to distinguish hyperglycemia from hypoglycemia. Know the difference between angina, AMI and CHF. Know the different respiratory problems, COPD, Emphysema, etc. Know the proper way to control bleeding, etc. Re-read the chapter on Obstetrics and Neonatal care multiple times until you have it on lock down, know the different stages of pregnancy and complications that can arise.

Spend less time studying the trivial stuff like the chambers of the heart, mnemonics beyond sample, etc. I didn't encounter any questions on APGAR, or the GCS. Not to say there aren't any out there though.

Best of luck to all!

Dre

Forum Ride Along
Read the answers, then read the questions... Read the answers again and get rid of the two that doesn't work, if you haven't already. Read the question again, if you are unsure and pick from the two you have left. Just remember the order of how you would do patient care. If it has passed a step, it's most likely asking about the next step. Take a deep breath and stay focused!

I know I am years late with this. I hope the next person that reads this will understand.

code3suby

Forum Probie
I have my test scheduled for the 14th of this month in SF, and you guys are helping out quite a bit thanks for the information!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
nothing i used to study was even close to how the national test was. all i can say is most of the time if it asks what you would do next, go back to the initial assessment. most of my questions were asking me to diagnose a medical problem/condition which EMT's do not diagnose. just go back through your book and good luck.

Texas Blackbird

Forum Ride Along
No Easy Way

At least I couldn't find one. I bought two study guides. One was pretty decent, but a little too easy. The other was edited by doctors, and it showed. I felt like I was studying for my MD, not EMT. Believe it or not, there are questions that a Dr. will answer differently from a Paramedic, because the Dr. does not know how we process patients in the field.

Anyway, I found there are two types of material you have to study:

1) Book stuff: The layout of the heart, the signs of a diabetic emergency or stroke, etc.

2) The scenarios

IMO, there is no way around the book stuff other than to read and become very familiar with it. Notice I didn't say "memorize" because who can memorize all of that in a short amount of time? Impossible!

My class was kind enough to wait a good 3 months after the class before scheduling my clinicals, so when it was time for my test, I was less than fresh. I crammed for 72 hours straight, reading through my whole book in that 3 days (well most of it) and taking the practice tests in between sessions.

As for the scenarios, you have to break it down: 1 Trauma and 2 Medical. Go to step 2: mental status then step 3 based on the results of number 2, etc. You need to memorize the procedure. For each step along the way, there is only one right action. There are always priorities. I swear, I think if you just concentrate on airway, you will get 80% of the test right.

I am exaggerating, but you get the point. It always comes down to those basics, ABCs, then whatever the chart says you do. Memorize the method. You find a victim with significant MOI, what is the first thing you do? What always follows that, and the next thing, etc.

To me, the only questions that are really hard are the prioritization questions. I realize there is one best answer, but no matter how you do it, there is always too much room for interpretation. For instance, do you transport the person who fell 15' or the lady with the compound femur fracture thats swollen to hell and gone? If you picked the lady with the femur you're wrong, though that is what I picked. IMO, she could be going into shock and die, whereas the fall from 15' could have a broken ankle. Oh well.

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
I took it on the 6th this month, got my results today......And I was 100% sure I bombed it, walking out. Slept about 1.2 hours over last night. I had prepared myself, my wife, and my family for failure. I clicked on the web site and to my amazement there was a certification number and expiration date. Holy BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, I PASSED. I truly was sure I blew it. for the record I was stopped in the upper 70's on question count. For all those who want any advice on the actual questions (look up particular illnesss' on wikolpedia) I spent all last night going over questions I knew I missed and their deffinitions were far better than the ones my Brady book provided. They matched word for word to the test diffs' and sign,symptoms. And above all KEEP YOUR LOGIC SIMPLE. Start with the ABC's and work from that. And be carefull ,think all the answers thru. Don't assume anything. If they give circulation, and perfusion status, and then ask what you should do , think for a moment? what's missing? The airway. Good luck to everybody, and I have felt your pain, its nerve racking, and I hate the questions on the NREMT. They are designed to mess with your mind,,,,,Remember above all KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Zdaddy

Forum Ride Along
NREMT-B study guides...

Has anyone used the Yellow, EMT basic exams study guide book? By Mometrix media? Im using it now to study for my NREMT-B and was wondering if this is a good book..It doesnt go into much detail test the test does. Ive used others books inthe past and did not pass. thanks

Zee

Indyprostreet

Forum Ride Along
Testing

I went into the National test 1 month after completeing the State EMT test. I thought I was ready, I wasn't. I got stressed out after almost getting strip searched to go into the testing area. And then I just tanked the test. I ended up with senarios I was unfamiliar with. I will be better prepaired if I ever decide to test again.:unsure:

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
Belive this or not, I am thankful I wasn't on this site before I took my NREMT. Otherwise I would have pulled all my hair out stressing over "Other peoples stress". :unsure:

Cfii512

Forum Ride Along
Passed!!! :)

I PASSED!

Used a JBLearning website online test prep subscription. I felt the simulation questions were very realistic an helpful. Explanations were outstanding and very helpful. The one thing I would like added to the simulations would be citation of the references, with even more explanation. It was the best prep I found

www_jblearning_com/catalog/9780763757830/

Cfii512

byoung57

Forum Probie
I have no financial interest in this book, but "Success For The EMT Basic" is the only study resource I recommend for my students. It structures their questions similar to NREMT.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Chap

Forum Ride Along
EMT-B exam

I just took the exam, and despite taking 1 face/face class, which i did quite well in, then jblearning online, which was good, and a 1 week refresher course....I'm pretty sure I didn't pass. I had several questions over material that was never MENTIONED in any of the courses. I remember a few of the questions, and went back to the EMT book we used, "Emergency Care and Transportation..." and the question was never addressed in the book....it had to do with an ambulance being taken out of service. No where does it mention that in the text, just a definition of an ambulance, what most would have and a statement "each state establishes its own standards....but most used federal specs....." but it doesn't say what the specs ARE. No doubt I missed that question....

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Been there done that

I'm pretty sure I didn't pass. I had several questions over material that was never MENTIONED in any of the courses

That may just mean that the adaptive testing processes needed to pull questions from the level above yours to see where your learning curve ends.

My understanding is they start off easy, get harder and harder until you start missing some questions then it backs down and finds your "average" zone and compares that to the national standards....

You may have done what I did and just answered "too many" right.

How many questions did you get through?

shanederosier

Forum Ride Along
I used flash card it really helped me specially if you study your weak areas. Re read the sections that u were weak at then make flash cards and go with your gut feeling dont second guess yourself on your answers. The test is designed so you second guess yourself. Good luck