Have you ever put a mask on because it was smelly?

Have you ever put a mask on just because something smelled bad?

• yes

• no

• I lost my sense of smell a long time ago

• nothing bothers me anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.

EMT533

The Rookie
I haven't worked in the field yet, but I have heard some stories about some not so great smells. I'm just curious if any of you have ever put one on and said it was for "your protection" or it was "protocol".

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
(1) It doesn't help, at all, ever.

(2) You make the patient that much more self-conscious

The substances that we inhale and smell will not be stopped by a simple surgical mask. An N95 may seem like it is helping, but it is meant for protection against liquids and aerosols, not straight gaseous substance. If you don't smell a gas with your mask on, it is because you aren't breathing.

You get used to it real quick. I'll tell you what, the smell of Grandma's I've-been-on-the-ground-for-3-days urine puts hair on your *** and makes your soul tear up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The masks we wear do not help at all with smells

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
(3) You will look unforgivably dumb in the process.

Grimes has it right. N95 masks don't stop smells.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
(1) It doesn't help, at all, ever.

(2) You make the patient that much more self-conscious

The substances that we inhale and smell will not be stopped by a simple surgical mask. An N95 may seem like it is helping, but it is meant for protection against liquids and aerosols, not straight gaseous substance. If you don't smell a gas with your mask on, it is because you aren't breathing.

You get used to it real quick. I'll tell you what, the smell of Grandma's I've-been-on-the-ground-for-3-days urine puts hair on your *** and makes your soul tear up.

*drops food back on plate* .....I hate you guys. Lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Used it one time. I put hand sanitizer in it (I was new). I didn't smell anything for a week after that. Except the patient, I kept smelling her. Needed a shovel to clear a path to her there was so much trash and other ehem, things.

OP
OP
EMT533

EMT533

The Rookie
Grims you're great!
"You get used to it real quick. I'll tell you what, the smell of Grandma's I've-been-on-the-ground-for-3-days urine puts hair on your *** and makes your soul tear up."

Oh my gosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMT533

EMT533

The Rookie
Used it one time. I put hand sanitizer in it (I was new). I didn't smell anything for a week after that. Except the patient, I kept smelling her. Needed a shovel to clear a path to her there was so much trash and other ehem, things.
Hey that's one way to clear your sinus's!

canardroti

Forum Probie
lol...been wondering about that. I've never used a mask but now I'm glad to know they don't help with the smell.
Maybe if you put some vicks in it..hey that reminds me of some good old parties.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't do the Vics vapour rub thing either. Eucalyptus and stale urine is much worse than just stale urine and your sinuses are wide open to let it in. Breathing through your mouth doesn't necessarily help either, then you taste it. Honestly the thing I've found works best for my more pungent patients is:
1) Bundle them on the stretcher tightly in nice clean linen with one of our plastic disposable sheets around the outside. Turn exhaust fan and heat/AC on high and keep the air moving.
2) Sometimes it's just easier and better for the patient to help them bathe (or at least clean-up a bit) and change before transport. (Not a lot of homeless in my area, usually elderly folks who've been on the floor)

Ruamkatanyu

Forum Probie
I was watching a show covering Boston Fire they got dispatched to a probable decomposing body in a room and before entering the complex one of the guys grabbed his scba.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I once bothered wearing a surgical mask with a squirt of hospital-grade air freshener on the exterior. Worked great. But most times I don't have advanced warning.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I have a small container of vicks, after that wears out I just endure it. You wanted EMS? Get some!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I sometimes wear an N95 mask. I guess it is a placebo, but I feel like it helps with the smell.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
When I was doing clinicals one of my favorite EMTs that I rode with taught me an awesome trick, to buy Carmax lip balm and pretend you're putting it on (so patient doesn't notice what you're doing), only rub it under your nose. I've used that trick several times when picking up homeless people or going into rather smelly houses.

One of my ER clinical shifts we have a horrific GI bleed. I was fine with the smell at the beginning of the shift and being in the room. Then at one point we went downstairs to retrieve a rectal Foley from supplies and decided to stop at the cafeteria to eat lunch. When we returned to the room, the smell made my stomach turn. The ER resident had me take a N95, wipe a disinfectant wipe on the inside, and put it on. It didn't completely get rid of the smell, but it at least made it tolerable so I wouldn't vomit. It did, however, cause me to get weird looks from the nurses, that and the fact I had a gown on (we learned patient was Aids positive).