Have you ever put a mask on because it was smelly?

Have you ever put a mask on just because something smelled bad?

• yes

• no

• I lost my sense of smell a long time ago

• nothing bothers me anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a partner who put the pt on 4 l/n of O2 via NC, and sat in the airway chair behind her and had a NRB on at 12 l/m. He said it helped him. I opened the back door of the ambulance, saw that and was able to duck around the corner before I started laughing: But I had to go get the ramps for the cot (bari cot, 750lb pt) so it didn't look bad

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
This is why i have a half face respirator with an organic vapor cartridge, $20 at Home depot

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Just saying, masks are standard PPE in come countries, particular in Asia.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a partner who put the pt on 4 l/n of O2 via NC, and sat in the airway chair behind her and had a NRB on at 12 l/m. He said it helped him.

Now that's funny.

My beef with these good smelling remedies is that it then ruins that good smell, at least for me. For instance, the air freshener we use in the ED is crazy effective, it has never failed me. It doesn't smell "good", but it neutralizes the bad smell. However, whenever I smell it now adays, I know it is just masking a bad smell, so mentally I may as well be smelling something bad. So if I put, say, cherry chapstick under my nose, I would soon grow to hate that smell, and certainly never use it as chapstick. It's an association game.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
When you've got an overwhelming funk to deal with, I learned to put a couple of drops of essential oil in a neb filled with saline and let it blow it's goodness into the room (or ambulance).

Thanks to the nurses at St Francis in Federal Way Washington for that nugget. It's a lifesaver.