Hat's off to EMT-B's

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
What does aggressiveness remotely have to do with the level of quality a nurse provides?

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
The gray in my hair begs to differ

Jeep, the name oldschool got hung on me by a partner I had who was younger in years than the length of time I had been a emt. I did one of those "no tourniquet on a little old lady taking coumadin ivs" and he said I was so old school I probably remember when tourniquets were invented. He also witnessed the blown lightbulb in the laryngoscope intubation with the maglite held between my shoulder and ear. Told me, " I bet it was harder by candlelight." Smarta$$ kids. First ambulance I rode in had an eight-track player in the dash, and we only had one tape.

To me old school refers to the way I was trained, but says I've been here long enough to know things have to change. The senior paramedic who trained me, my emt and paramedic instructors, and most of my early supervisors have all RETIRED. They got their thirty and out, just like I will in 11 more years, Waaaaaa-hooooooooo!!!!!!!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
While it would be great to have all ALS 24/7 with a crew sitting at the station, not at home, that's still some way off. Kind of like the way the 911 system started out. It will happen but it just takes time.
Education should be appropriate to the level of certification desired. A MFR doesn't need to know acid/base balance. If I want to get a license to drive a moped, there is no reason for me to study for a CDL license. I don't need to know that you might need to downshift before you are going down a 6% grade at 80 mph. An EMT-B doesn't need to know the landmarks to perform a needle thoracotomy. An EMT-I doesn't need to know how to perform a pericardial centesis (sp?). An MFR needs to know what to do until the EMT-B arrives. The EMT-B needs to know everything required of a EMT-B in the National Curriculum to treat until an EMT-I or a EMT-P arrives or they get to the hospital and so on up the line. That's why there are different levels. Even if we had all ALS 24/7 there would probably be a need for the other levels.
That being said... shoot for training above your level. Everyone in the class might be smarter than you but you will probably learn more from that one class than they did.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
After more research I do stand corrected, you are correct there are still a very few diploma programs left. Most are attempting to be associated with at least an ADN program, mainly due to federal funding and ability of students obtaining student loans. It is considered a dying method, again due to few hospitals have the capabilities to teach full time.

I agree they are prepared for patient care (yes, I work with several and agree they are great at that level) over all they are not recruited for administrative duties and are still are considered for "technical nursing level". (That is a direct quote from AACN). This is not a slam.. just the hierarchy of nursing, which I am very familiar with on a national level.

One needs to be careful categorizing medical education and certification based upon local policy and employment in ones local market area. Each region has specific programs that are considered good and marketable, but one needs to be aware of the national trends, for future growth, and careers. For example many medics are now running to the Exclusiveor (NY Regents) for the RN, only to find out some states do not even recognize that as an approved nursing program (external degree).Some states do not recognize those that have attended that program. (When one applies for state license, you must present where you obtained your education). The same being on some Paramedic programs fail short on class and clinical hours in many states (for example my state requires Intubation for the EMT/I (85) and does not recognize the I/99). So my advice is to be very cautious on any educational programs.

If direct patient care is your main goal; that would be an excellent route and plan. However; if one is considering management, educational, or advance nurse levels in the future I highly recommend attending a formal BSN program to start with. The prestigous Magnet Status, and JCAHO all recommends percentage of administrative staff to have those credentials. As well advance level nursing must have at least that or equivelant level for entry requirements.

Old school.. you are still a young one...LOL I will have my 30 next year, my goal is to make the Registry print a 50 year certificate...LOL I received my 20 year several years ago... there are not many of us left huh? ...

Sorry for the rant...

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Ridryder and oldschool you are both just OLD!!!! I got 20 years in but only 6 as a medic. But I started at a young age. like 10 or so :D

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
OH I almost forgot you Fedmedic you are really OLD to. You were intubating when I was just a First Responder.

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
OH I almost forgot you Fedmedic you are really OLD to. You were intubating when I was just a First Responder.

Yeah, he teaches EMT now in the nursing home where he resides. He has really done alot there. He set up an in house first responder program. He has set up a program to educate the nurses on emergencys. I do miss him being able to ride the truck with us now though. He can't help it that he is old and gray now though! HA HA! Fed, you know we love ya suga!! HA HA HA HA HA H!!!!!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
He does look kinda funny with that back board on his wheel chair.

Everyone thinks he drives an ambulance but he really drives a wheel chair.

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
He does look kinda funny with that back board on his wheel chair.

Everyone thinks he drives an ambulance but he really drives a wheel chair.

Have you seen that new scooter power chair he got? It is cool! He has a drug box, IV supplies, and an AED on it too! tahehe!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Pops is going to be mad at us.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hey ! There is nothing wrong with a magnifying glass on a walker, it helps me find a vein...

R/r 911

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Hey ! There is nothing wrong with a magnifying glass on a walker, it helps me find a vein...

R/r 911

What style power chair do you have ryder? Fed's is pretty and black with heated leather seats! Real cool! Did I mention that he has a red strobe light on the front of it so he can get to the nursing home codes real fast! Oh, and a little squeaky horn!! it goes... booka booka!

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, yall are so funnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy!! Yall should go on the road and do a comedy tour.....not!!!

Remember, payback is hell!

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Yeah, yall are so funnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy!! Yall should go on the road and do a comedy tour.....not!!!

I'm frightened!!! Big time!!!! Smile suga, we just playin!

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain

Since I am so funny, get this one. I was riding down the road this past weekend and I saw Jeepmedic riding his 3 year old daughter's bike, which is pink, with a little purple basket on the front, and yes he has a state of the art booka booka horn too, fed! But my God! You should have seen his knees when he was peddleing, it looked like they were going to hit his face eveytime his knees went up. And did I mention that he had a McDonalds cap on? And he has a strobe light on the front! I believe he was trying his best to get to that dang fire call!!!

Jeep, I didn't want to leave you out! I still luz ya sugas! HA HA HA HAHA HAHA!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
just go get your diaper changed

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
How old are these "old" folks you're making fun of??!!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
She is just mad she is still in diapers. Lets see I remember $0.50 a gal. gas. and When I could buy a pack of smokes and a Dr. Pepper for a buck and still get change.

And hey trauma you forgot the Barbie Radio on the front.