Hat's off to EMT-B's

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I just thought it would be nice to recognize our EMT-B's for the great job they do everyday. I myself am an ALS provider, but I have been down your road, and I know what you go through and take off of ALS providers alot of times. You don't get the credit you deserve! Thank you so much for always being there to help us, to save us in that truck, and for trying to be the very best that you can be!

Again! My hats off to you for everything you do!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Wait a second, I thought you hated us! Did you get into the spiked eggnog again? :p

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
it is finally nice to be appreciated. als around me think well, we call most of them paragods and to them we are nothing and can do nothing but vitals. i am an emt-b but i also am a medtech in the air force so i know how to do medic stuff and some of my medics know that and let me help if they can't get a stick or something but we have medics that are complete jerks to emt-s. so i thank you for your comment it is very much appreiciated. :p

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Truama never said that she hated EMT-B's Read some of her other post.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
By the way what is a Hatr's? :D

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
interesting way around a locked thread folks....

let's look at how ems is set up, shall we? everyone is aware of the continuity of care right? in a (redundant) nutshell this essentially means there is a line of communication from the trenches/troops on up.

what does a good bls'er do? s/he effectively communicates well with the recieving als'er, which follows on up through the hiearchy all the way to the Doc.

as each trasnfere occurs, this is the resonsibility of the lesser trained element, yet for a good continued relationship it should not be a one way deal, should it?

again, a good bls'er is apt to have some clue as to what level(s) of care are to occur, or be needed next (most of you are keen to this on dispatch alone)
this subsequently falls on the next ems'er in line to impart to his/her subordinates.

in other words, everyone in ems had their hand held at one point or another, we were offered explainations and rationales for that chain that we are

those who seek to break said chain not only do an injustice to the whole of what we are, they compromise patient care in doing so

~S~

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Heck no I don't hate EMT-B's. I spend most of my time taking up for ya'll. Read some of my posts. I think you all do one H*ll of a job! I have no problem taking a stand for people who are out there giving thier time to help people when there are alot of other things they could be doing with thier time. There is nothing wrong with EMT-B's for the most part. Those who want to be the best at what they do have my hat's off.

Don't even give place to those paragod's out there who want to put you down all the time. Let me tell you a little story about EMT-B level. There are alot of things that you CAN handle without even calling on us for anything. What makes the difference in a good and bad provider at any level of training is knowing when you are at your limit in treatment and when to continue on at your level with that patient. I have no problem with taking anything down the road to the ER in my truck. I also know when I am up against the wall and need more on my truck. I recently heard from a very good paramedic (hat's off to you and you know who you are) that people call flights in because they are scared to care for the patient. While that may be true to alot of providers... that is definatly not the case with me. When I call a flight in, it is because I know that is the very best for my patient. I know that the recieving facility where I would normally take my patient is not equiped to handle the underlying problem with that patient. That makes a good provider.

Yes, EMT-B's can be agressive! I know. I was agressive as sh*t when I was an EMT-B. I am highly agressive now. Some have said I am too aggresive or cocky. Nope, I'm not cocky, I just have learned to recognize what needs to be done, and I stay ahead of the game. That's what every level needs to do. If you think you will need ALS, call them. You can always turn them around. If you are ALS, and you think you will need to start a line, start it before it get's to that point.

Now, I have worked for a combination of agancy's over the years. I have worked under 3 different protocols in 12 years. I have worked for that busy 20 calls in at 24 hour shift agancy. That made me learn how quickly you had to get everything done... so it made me even more aggresive. I could have everything done and drugs onboard within 10 min. You have to be able to recognize the red flaggs. EMT-B's are good at recognizing those flags. I have volunteered for a squad that was full of Medics who had the "I'm better than you" mentality. In that agency, is where most would feel like they were on egg shells, that is the exact agency that I tried to shine the most in. I put my patient's first above anything else. There is nothing better than to have a bad patient going down hill quick and have at good EMT-B setting across from me in that truck. I am like prizenmedik, I'd rather have a good EMT-B in my truck with a bad patient, than to have the highest trained paramedic with a big head in my truck. When it gets down to it, when you are zoned in on that patient condition, the last thing you need in your truck is ego. I now work for a slower paced agancy where our transport time has been as much as 45 min. from the scene to the closest recieving facility. The least eta we have is aprox. 25 min. That type transport times seporate the men from the boys (or women from the girls). Guess what? In that department, we only have 1 paramedic, 4 EMT-Enhanced, 2 EMT-I's and about 10 EMT-B's and about 6 or seven drivers only with no certifications. When I work, I am lucky to get just a driver. The EMT-B's there have learned to be the best they can be. Alot of times, they are not going to get anything any higher after hours when all of us are off work. Let me tell you, for the most part, they kick azz!!!

There is nothing I like to see any more than to see a fresh new EMT-B, or even a student get in the back with me on a bad call and see them hungry to do and learn!!! Let me tell you! I will teach them and help them as much as I can. I will NEVER say anything against them for trying. Hey! It's the best that that county will get after hours! Why not encourage them and help them be the best at thier level!!! After all, we are in this for the patients, not ourselves! Atleast that's why I am in it!

I will say this in closing. EMT-B's, always hold your head up! Don't let those medics see ya sweat!!! Learn and do all you can at your level. If you don't want to go further, then be the best you can be at your level. If you want to go to higher level, then take your time. Learn all you can at each level. BE THE BEST!! I have only seen one Paramedic over the last 12 years who went from 0-to hero and made it work. Guess who it was? PRIZENMEDIC! He is one of the very best paramedic's I know! One of the other very best medics I ever had the priveledge of knowing and working with is FEDMEDIC! JEEPMEDIC is awesome too! We all came from the same original group. They will always stand up for you guys! They along with myself know that we could not be what we are without ya'll!

Maybe prizenmedic has not made such a great impression on some people, and maybe Fedmedic and Jeepmedic have pissed some people off, but I share the same mentality as them, I'm sure they will agree when I say "Hat's off to EMT-B's"! They and myself will always stand up for you guys, because we have not forgotten where we come from!

Now EMT-B's, get out there and make it count! Make your mark! Thank you so much for all you do everyday! Don't let anyone discourage you!!! You are our backbone!!!

I would also like to add one other thing. We who are paid in this field sometimes over look the volunteers for what they sacrafice (I'm not the best speller lol), but I was watching the movie Pearl Harbor, and I remember one comment made on that movie that stand true and stuck with me... "There is nothing greater than the heart of a volunteer"! That is so true. Thanks again for all you do everday when you could be doing something else with your time! You are always there when we need you! God Bless you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

paraprincess

Forum Probie
:p some of my best partners have been emt-b's.. i have respect for everyone in our line of work.. its too bad we can't all stick together and have it for each other because lots of outsiders sure dont have respect.. i.e. when they call us ambulance drivers..or when they dont realize why we look so down and tired after some bad shifts..
anyway thanks to everyone in EMS especially the basics because thats where it all starts and its where we all started! .. BLS b4 anything else
:usa: as a team we can do it all!!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
an apt post via an ems'er who came up through the ranks trauma1534

bravo!

people here do realize that ALS is a coveted and scarce resource in many parts of the rural contingent, yes?

in said areas, it is up to the basics to sell the powers that be on ALS

so you see, recognition is everything from every point of view in ems

~S~

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Heck no I don't hate EMT-B's. I spend most of my time taking up for ya'll. Read some of my posts. I think you all do one H*ll of a job! I have no problem taking a stand for people who are out there giving thier time to help people when there are alot of other things they could be doing with thier time. There is nothing wrong with EMT-B's for the most part. Those who want to be the best at what they do have my hat's off.

Don't even give place to those paragod's out there who want to put you down all the time. Let me tell you a little story about EMT-B level. There are alot of things that you CAN handle without even calling on us for anything. What makes the difference in a good and bad provider at any level of training is knowing when you are at your limit in treatment and when to continue on at your level with that patient. I have no problem with taking anything down the road to the ER in my truck. I also know when I am up against the wall and need more on my truck. I recently heard from a very good paramedic (hat's off to you and you know who you are) that people call flights in because they are scared to care for the patient. While that may be true to alot of providers... that is definatly not the case with me. When I call a flight in, it is because I know that is the very best for my patient. I know that the recieving facility where I would normally take my patient is not equiped to handle the underlying problem with that patient. That makes a good provider.

Yes, EMT-B's can be agressive! I know. I was agressive as sh*t when I was an EMT-B. I am highly agressive now. Some have said I am too aggresive or cocky. Nope, I'm not cocky, I just have learned to recognize what needs to be done, and I stay ahead of the game. That's what every level needs to do. If you think you will need ALS, call them. You can always turn them around. If you are ALS, and you think you will need to start a line, start it before it get's to that point.

Now, I have worked for a combination of agancy's over the years. I have worked under 3 different protocols in 12 years. I have worked for that busy 20 calls in at 24 hour shift agancy. That made me learn how quickly you had to get everything done... so it made me even more aggresive. I could have everything done and drugs onboard within 10 min. You have to be able to recognize the red flaggs. EMT-B's are good at recognizing those flags. I have volunteered for a squad that was full of Medics who had the "I'm better than you" mentality. In that agency, is where most would feel like they were on egg shells, that is the exact agency that I tried to shine the most in. I put my patient's first above anything else. There is nothing better than to have a bad patient going down hill quick and have at good EMT-B setting across from me in that truck. I am like prizenmedik, I'd rather have a good EMT-B in my truck with a bad patient, than to have the highest trained paramedic with a big head in my truck. When it gets down to it, when you are zoned in on that patient condition, the last thing you need in your truck is ego. I now work for a slower paced agancy where our transport time has been as much as 45 min. from the scene to the closest recieving facility. The least eta we have is aprox. 25 min. That type transport times seporate the men from the boys (or women from the girls). Guess what? In that department, we only have 1 paramedic, 4 EMT-Enhanced, 2 EMT-I's and about 10 EMT-B's and about 6 or seven drivers only with no certifications. When I work, I am lucky to get just a driver. The EMT-B's there have learned to be the best they can be. Alot of times, they are not going to get anything any higher after hours when all of us are off work. Let me tell you, for the most part, they kick azz!!!

There is nothing I like to see any more than to see a fresh new EMT-B, or even a student get in the back with me on a bad call and see them hungry to do and learn!!! Let me tell you! I will teach them and help them as much as I can. I will NEVER say anything against them for trying. Hey! It's the best that that county will get after hours! Why not encourage them and help them be the best at thier level!!! After all, we are in this for the patients, not ourselves! Atleast that's why I am in it!

I will say this in closing. EMT-B's, always hold your head up! Don't let those medics see ya sweat!!! Learn and do all you can at your level. If you don't want to go further, then be the best you can be at your level. If you want to go to higher level, then take your time. Learn all you can at each level. BE THE BEST!! I have only seen one Paramedic over the last 12 years who went from 0-to hero and made it work. Guess who it was? PRIZENMEDIC! He is one of the very best paramedic's I know! One of the other very best medics I ever had the priveledge of knowing and working with is FEDMEDIC! JEEPMEDIC is awesome too! We all came from the same original group. They will always stand up for you guys! They along with myself know that we could not be what we are without ya'll!

Maybe prizenmedic has not made such a great impression on some people, and maybe Fedmedic and Jeepmedic have pissed some people off, but I share the same mentality as them, I'm sure they will agree when I say "Hat's off to EMT-B's"! They and myself will always stand up for you guys, because we have not forgotten where we come from!

Now EMT-B's, get out there and make it count! Make your mark! Thank you so much for all you do everyday! Don't let anyone discourage you!!! You are our backbone!!!

I would also like to add one other thing. We who are paid in this field sometimes over look the volunteers for what they sacrafice (I'm not the best speller lol), but I was watching the movie Pearl Harbor, and I remember one comment made on that movie that stand true and stuck with me... "There is nothing greater than the heart of a volunteer"! That is so true. Thanks again for all you do everday when you could be doing something else with your time! You are always there when we need you! God Bless you!!!

Very well said young Padawan

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
:p some of my best partners have been emt-b's.. i have respect for everyone in our line of work.. its too bad we can't all stick together and have it for each other because lots of outsiders sure dont have respect.. i.e. when they call us ambulance drivers..or when they dont realize why we look so down and tired after some bad shifts..
anyway thanks to everyone in EMS especially the basics because thats where it all starts and its where we all started! .. BLS b4 anything else
:usa: as a team we can do it all!!

Well said!!! Thank you for holding these guys up! They need all the encouragement they can get. I'm surprized some of them havn't gotten tired of the negative attitude's of the higher ranks and just quit. Trust me, they have been beat down pretty bad! Let's all try to keep thier spirits up! They obviously love what they do or they would be doing something for more money. Thanks again!!! Keep it comming!

Summit

Critical Crazy
10 bucks says you didn't read my whole post in it's intirety! LOL

what i read was good... but it was just too long and my vision started to get blurry ;)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
You owe me ten bucks.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Make it a Big Kids meal. :p

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Do you want a toy for a boy or girl?

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Girl Brianne has got to have somethng to play with.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
it was just too long and my vision started to get blurry ;)

It needs to be short. She knows I have ADD. I did read it all. It just took a while. Had to go back several times.