Harris County Emergency Corp

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
A few photos of Harris County Emergency Corp trucks. Very cool and distinctive looking black trucks. For more photos check out their website here http://www.hcec.com/.

IMG_20120419_154639.jpg

IMG_20120419_154605.jpg

IMG_20120419_154822.jpg

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Is Texas the only state that allows blue lights on fire/ems?

Trucks look damn nice! Would love to see a pix of it lit up at night!

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Not sure about the blue lights but I'll see what I can do about getting a photo of it lit up. :) Sorry the pics are so big I'm still getting the hang of this apparently.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I have to say it. That thing looks bad@ss

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Is Texas the only state that allows blue lights on fire/ems?

Trucks look damn nice! Would love to see a pix of it lit up at night!

Lot's of blue lights to the rear on ambulances in Massachusetts. Blue lights errywhere in Colorado.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Lot's of blue lights to the rear on ambulances in Massachusetts. Blue lights errywhere in Colorado.

Ehh... in MA fire-based services (and some third services) put ONE blue light on the rear of their apparatus, but I never seen more than one. I challenge you to find ANY private ambulances with blues in MA. Blue lights are limited to police, in general.

Note: the exception is MSP's two ambulances http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZgdwuxH1Ow
which are technically police vehicles, NOT ambulances...

Other states (NJ comes to mind) allow volunteers to have blue lights on their POVs...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A few photos of Harris County Emergency Corp trucks. Very cool and distinctive looking black trucks. For more photos check out their website here http://www.hcec.com/.

Do ambulances not need to read "AMBULANCE" or "RESCUE" in letters of a certain size? I hadn't realized it before today, but it seems outside of my microcosm, it isn't required...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Do ambulances not need to read "AMBULANCE" or "RESCUE" in letters of a certain size? I hadn't realized it before today, but it seems outside of my microcosm, it isn't required...

Just looked at KKK-A-1822F and it says that "Ambulance" has to be printed on the left and right side, as well as on the hood, I think.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
While the trucks do look sharp, how do they rate with safety/visibility?

As ugly as they are, I am a huge fan of the orange/purple checkerboard as it breaks up the visual field quite intrusively.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

While the trucks do look sharp, how do they rate with safety/visibility?

As ugly as they are, I am a huge fan of the orange/purple checkerboard as it breaks up the visual field quite intrusively.

Excellent point, black isn't the greatest color for visibility although I seem to recall some studies that said fire engine red is no better than black in regards to low light visibility.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Excellent point, black isn't the greatest color for visibility although I seem to recall some studies that said fire engine red is no better than black in regards to low light visibility.

Here's the best scheme for high visibility, the flames clearly draw attention. :rofl:

Ambulance-Fire--sm.jpg

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Here's the best scheme for high visibility, the flames clearly draw attention. :rofl:

Ambulance-Fire--sm.jpg

That's exactly what it felt like in the back of the truck today.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

That's exactly what it felt like in the back of the truck today.

It just occurred to me that someone through a cup in that basket.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ehh... in MA fire-based services (and some third services) put ONE blue light on the rear of their apparatus, but I never seen more than one. I challenge you to find ANY private ambulances with blues in MA. Blue lights are limited to police, in general.

Note: the exception is MSP's two ambulances http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZgdwuxH1Ow
which are technically police vehicles, NOT ambulances...

Other states (NJ comes to mind) allow volunteers to have blue lights on their POVs...

Never seen a private ambulance with blue lights for whatever reason. I know my town's fire ambulance has two blue lights to the rear, as do a few neighboring towns. Now if I could find pictures...

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Never seen a private ambulance with blue lights for whatever reason. I know my town's fire ambulance has two blue lights to the rear, as do a few neighboring towns. Now if I could find pictures...

I'm still beating the bushes trying to get West U for a tour.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm still beating the bushes trying to get West U for a tour.

That is a sharp looking truck you posted. Say what everyone will about fire-based EMS, they have getting great equipment down to a science.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
That is a sharp looking truck you posted. Say what everyone will about fire-based EMS, they have getting great equipment down to a science.

Except HCEC isn't fire based....

Third service Emergency Services District.