Hall vs. MedResponse

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Furthermore, you're also taking away ALS resources from an already taxed system, so again, you better be confident in your decisions.

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
@VentMonkey, I wrap the time to hospital vs time to ALS into the "need ALS" equation.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wtferick

Forum Captain
I'll second that. By the way, did you end up making your way out here yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I did not. I stayed with the main company down here in LA/OC. Could not budge to move out there haha.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's my thoughts. Not every patient needs ALS you as an emt should be able to decide. Your cardiac patient by all means but if your literally 5 minutes away from an ED and ALS 10 take them. They are not getting any better. Not everything requires lights and sirens either. Try and out weigh the benefits. Not everyone needs fluids and or a cardiac work up. Like Ventmonkey said, an ED is a well oiled machine and if you think about it, were pretty limited in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
FWIW, these CARE people who came on after the EOA change didn't "experience" the relationship with fire AMR had then.

I only feel somewhat sorry for the AMR guys and gals who had no choice but to stick it out and are still there.

CARE is nothing what AMR was when I worked there, I had a blast. CARE? Not so much.

Reactions: NPO

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
FWIW, these CARE people who came on after the EOA change didn't "experience" the relationship with fire AMR had then.

I only feel somewhat sorry for the AMR guys and gals who had no choice but to stick it out and are still there.

CARE is nothing what AMR was when I worked there, I had a blast. CARE? Not so much.
Back in the day, sometimes a squad wouldn't show up or couldn't show up. Than you make with what you got.

wtferick

Forum Captain

Sorry for your bad experience.

I love it here.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sorry for your bad experience.

I love it here.
Oh, believe me, no need to apologize. What I meant was CARE is nothing like AMR, they promote two different models altogether. It is I who feels sorry for those who have no clue how fun those EOA's used to be, such as yourself.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Oh, believe me, no need to apologize. What I meant was CARE is nothing like AMR, they promote two different models altogether. It is I who feels sorry for those who have no clue how fun those EOA's used to be, such as yourself.
No worries. Most of the folks who came over years ago stated they hated AMR... so I don't know who to believe lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No worries. Most of the folks who came over years ago stated they hated AMR... so I don't know who to believe lol
It doesn't matter to me who you believe. To the op, welcome, yes it's different medicine. It isn't like SoCal, but remember there you may be a needle in a haystack; here, not so much. I don't know what your end goals are, but just know that administration watches everyone closer than they may think.

This is by no means a "scare tactic", it's just plain truth. Remember, they promote career-growth here, vs. SoCal where you can walk into any company, and they all but tell you "we know we're a stepping stone". Listen to the people who have good advice to offer, because there are plenty that don't. As stated before, there are good and paramedics and EMT's in any system; I have been in, and around several. You can PM me if you have any serious questions about this place. We all know each other (the "Kern County Cult" as my pal @CALEMT likes to call us), so it's fairly tight nit on here, but we're all pretty much willing to answer serious questions anyone has.

I will tell you what I will tell anyone that asks about this place, and what I have posted before. There are no secrets on how to keep your job, just do it, do it well, don't cause any headaches, and keep your nose clean. It's quite literally that simple. Good luck, and don't get caught in the comparing here to other systems, I guarantee California EMS in general could not hold a candle to pretty much all of Texas, and many parts of the East Coast (excluding NYC EMS/ FDNY, and/ or BEMS), cheers.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
(the "Kern County Cult" as my pal @CALEMT likes to call us)

For those that don't know, I use the Kern County Cult as friendly banter. Its by no means attacks on anyone. I just came up with it when I noticed on every SO CAL employment thread Hall always came up. The more "seasoned" members of this forum know that its all friendly banter. Just want to clarify to the new members or viewers that its all in good humor.

To the OP, I'm not a member of the Kern County Cult but you are employed with arguably the best private ambulance company in CA. I don't know much about Hall but what I've heard (rumors) is that they don't like to be looked at as a stepping stone for like a fire dept. for example. They prefer and are good at employee retention for a EMS career, not a fire career. Like others have said, I don't know your end goals. Just trying to give some friendly advice on what I've heard.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
For those that don't know, I use the Kern County Cult as friendly banter. Its by no means attacks on anyone. I just came up with it when I noticed on every SO CAL employment thread Hall always came up. The more "seasoned" members of this forum know that its all friendly banter. Just want to clarify to the new members or viewers that its all in good humor.
Every cult needs a leader, brother:).

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
I will tell you what I will tell anyone that asks about this place, and what I have posted before. There are no secrets on how to keep your job, just do it, do it well, don't cause any headaches, and keep your nose clean. It's quite literally that simple.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to start my EMS career in such an environment. When getting my cert, I was unsure where I was going to go with it but now I'm pretty set. I have yet to feel like I've worked a single day since I started so that's a good sign. Other than that, I appreciate your advice and am always open for more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm very grateful for the opportunity to start my EMS career in such an environment. When getting my cert, I was unsure where I was going to go with it but now I'm pretty set. I have yet to feel like I've worked a single day since I started so that's a good sign. Other than that, I appreciate your advice and am always open for more.
Well that's good to know. While I am a relatively new poster to this forum, I have worked in and around Southern California and here collectively for about a decade and a half with the EMS systems.

Each one has its goods, and bads. Undoubtedly Kern County and pretty much most of Central California is as good as it gets in this state in regards to EMS field work. My bro's in the I.E. have a pretty sweet set up, also.

As far as this company goes, I have been here going on 8 years, all as a paramedic, and they have thrown every opportunity at me that one could ask for based on merit, and hardwork, so when I say they take notice, they do.

Mr. H is the most genuinely down to earth business man I have ever worked for, and that is quite literally out of all of my employers, EMS, and others.

The reason people from Central California, including "The Cult" (that's for @CALEMT) are so quick to pop in on a California EMS thread is because in comparison within the state it is very hard to compare this place---and specifically company---to others.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but if you're fortunate to have started here, chances are you'll never have known how bad it is elsewhere...and that isn't a knock.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's good to know. While I am a relatively new poster to this forum, I have worked in and around Southern California and here collectively for about a decade and a half with the EMS systems.

Each one has its goods, and bads. Undoubtedly Kern County and pretty much most of Central California is as good as it gets in this state in regards to EMS field work. My bro's in the I.E. have a pretty sweet set up, also.

As far as this company goes, I have been here going on 8 years, all as a paramedic, and they have thrown every opportunity at me that one could ask for based on merit, and hardwork, so when I say they take notice, they do.

Mr. H is the most genuinely down to earth business man I have ever worked for, and that is quite literally out of all of my employers, EMS, and others.

The reason people from Central California, including "The Cult" (that's for @CALEMT) are so quick to pop in on a California EMS thread is because in comparison within the state it is very hard to compare this place---and specifically company---to others.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but if you're fortunate to have started here, chances are you'll never have known how bad it is elsewhere...and that isn't a knock.
I say everyone should experience the bad. That way you come out humble and knowing how blessed you are.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also worth mentioning are solid coastal systems such as AMR Santa Barbar, and San Luis Ambulance in SLO County to name a couple.

AMR Ventura is still pretty well regarded as far as I know, too.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I say everyone should experience the bad. That way you come out humble and knowing how blessed you are.

I like to cite my old crummy craptastic BLS IFT company working for a shady owner as my first EMT job. Whenever I feel like the evil empire sucks I just remember how bad it was at the old company (which REMS shut down). I mean I'm a part time employee that gets sick time, overtime, double time, holiday pay, and my paychecks arrive on time.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I like to cite my old crummy craptastic BLS IFT company working for a shady owner as my first EMT job. Whenever I feel like the evil empire sucks I just remember how bad it was at the old company (which REMS shut down). I mean I'm a part time employee that gets sick time, overtime, double time, holiday pay, and my paychecks arrive on time.
Eastern Europeans are FUN to work for! No belief in labor laws, OSHA regulations etc.