Hall vs. MedResponse

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Could not have made a better choice than to go with Hall. I always thought I had a good grasp on things until I ran my first Code 3 call on a BLS unit with no ALS backup available.
Welcome to metro Bakersfield.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Captains log #119 11/23/2016 18:16
Yet another member of the Kern Co cult... they're massing at an alarming rate...

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Captains log #119 11/23/2016 18:16
Yet another member of the Kern Co cult... they're massing at an alarming rate...
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ambuwatcher

Forum Crew Member
Update for anyone who cares:

Could not have made a better choice than to go with Hall. I always thought I had a good grasp on things until I ran my first Code 3 call on a BLS unit with no ALS backup available. People are willing to teach if you're willing to learn and there's a comradery that I have been wanting for a very long time. Hope you guys are staying safe out there!

Great choice! Congrats!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
BUT BUT..... YOU COULD OF BEEN DOING DIALYSIS AND DISCHARGES! lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
BUT BUT..... YOU COULD OF BEEN DOING DISCHARGES
Uhhh, we do discharges, they're called transfers, and keep the lights on.

Also, before there was a plethora of EMT's and when we still had our MTS (medivan) division which stopped running right around ~1900 hours, there were but 1-2 BLS night cars, sooo guess who was taking these folks back home??o_O

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Uhhh, we do discharges, they're called transfers, and keep the lights on.

Also, before there was a plethora of EMT's and when we still had our MTS (medivan) division which stopped running right around ~1900 hours, there were but 1-2 BLS night cars, sooo guess who was taking these folks back home??o_O
You know what I mean, the discharges where they don't require an ambulance.

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
You know what I mean, the discharges where they don't require an ambulance.

Yah, and I could have been fire's personal ***** but I'll just leave that to someone more worthy. :rolleyes:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yah, and I could have been fire's personal ***** but I'll just leave that to someone more worthy. :rolleyes:
And I will be the first to tell you we're all one team here, so no one is ANYONE'S personal anything.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't find it too exciting for a BLS unit going lights and sirens to a call. It's the norm in alot of places. None the less I can see your excitement being stuck in a limited environment for so long. But please do remember to keep it professional.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Update for anyone who cares:

Could not have made a better choice than to go with Hall. I always thought I had a good grasp on things until I ran my first Code 3 call on a BLS unit with no ALS backup available. People are willing to teach if you're willing to learn and there's a comradery that I have been wanting for a very long time. Hope you guys are staying safe out there!
Welcome. Ive been at Hall for a few years but recently traded in my grey card for a shine new blue paramedic one. Glad to have you aboard at Hall. You'll have to message me to let me know who you are.

I encourage BLS first responses. In fact, last week I asked dispatch to first respond a BLS unit to a call I was enroute to because they were closer and it was a critical call.
The outcome of a first response goes one of two ways:
1) You don't need ALS, we are kept available and you get experience of a call.
2) It's a true ALS call and you get to do an assessment on an ALS patient. If the patient is critical I can take you with me en route to the hospital and you learn even more.

Also, don't be afraid to call ALS if you think you need us. I know some medics will give you sh**, but I never will. If the patient needs ALS, they need ALS. Even if they don't, I'd rather talk to you later and help you rather than belittle you on scene.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wtferick

Forum Captain
Welcome. Ive been at Hall for a few years but recently traded in my grey card for a shine new blue paramedic one. Glad to have you aboard at Hall. You'll have to message me to let me know who you are.

I encourage BLS first responses. In fact, last week I asked dispatch to first respond a BLS unit to a call I was enroute to because they were closer and it was a critical call.
The outcome of a first response goes one of two ways:
1) You don't need ALS, we are kept available and you get experience of a call.
2) It's a true ALS call and you get to do an assessment on an ALS patient. If the patient is critical I can take you with me en route to the hospital and you learn even more.

Also, don't be afraid to call ALS if you think you need us. I know some medics will give you sh**, but I never will. If the patient needs ALS, they need ALS. Even if they don't, I'd rather talk to you later and help you rather than belittle you on scene.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
The medics we all need!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The medics we all need!
No idea what this is supposed to mean, there are good and bad medics in every system...every system.

As far as the calling for back up? I tend to agree if you truly need ALS, you need ALS. Now, here's my personal spin (not the company's by any means):

There are times when it makes much more sense to drive to to ED than wait for the "closest" ALS unit to arrive. You see, it all goes back to common sense. Does it make sense to keep waiting and waiting and waiting because the closest ALS unit can do "ALS stuff" for a whopping 5 minute transport (guess what that isn't much more than the BLS unit), are any of the measures said unit would potentially provide going to be life saving outside of what the ED can do? Name one thing we can do better than a well-oiled ED?

Again, I am not saying there aren't times when ALS back up isn't warranted, there most certainly is, but you need to use bettee judgment, critical thinking skills, and be able to stand your ground against fire if/ when you decide to transport BLS (chances are your supes would back you so long as the ALS unit isn't round tha ko-nuh).

You see, for me, a good solid EMT will kick down a good assessment with excellent rationale as to why they did what they did, and stand their ground even with the ALS provider; time and place appropriate of course. I have rolled up to BLS providers twiddling their thumbs which is better than fire's BLS response how? Not to mention 2 ambulances "racing" to them same call that may quite possibly cross paths...literally. This is all just food for thought of course.

If the call is "critical" I have yet to see any reason to have two ambulances and a fire truck all respond when the FD and an ALS unit can suffice, afterall aren't we always harping on "them boys down south" for the overkill in response, and how EMS in the U.S. is almost universally this way with no cold hard facts for improving outcomes with this delivery model?

If you want to "see critical calls, and cool stuff" then work ALS, or maybe look at some of the patients that fall through the cracks of the wonderfully flawed EMD system and get downgraded to you guys (e.g., full on RVI downgraded as a "sick/ ill person"), but please try and put your thinking caps on when utilizing other resources. It will much appreciated by your peers, and superiors.