Gun At Nursing Home

Sasha

Forum Chief
Last shift we picked up a patient from the nursing home who was a baker act. Why would a bedconfined man be a baker act? Because they found a gun in his room and he threatened to kill himself and others with it. His nephew brought it for him to commit suicide with.

Anyone ever run into something similar?

It was kind of funny though, a tech was walking us over to a different section of the ER (There are like four.) and asked "Is he still strapped?"

My partner says yeah, he's still strapped! and tech goes "WHAT?! WHAT!?! WHAT THE HELL MAN!?" and I am just shaking with giggles.

My partner didn't know when someone is "strapped" it slang for having the gun, he thought he was just asking if he was strapped to the stretcher.

I only know because I recently read an autobiography of an LA crip member, and now consider myself the street slang expert :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Nursing homes can take my gun from my cold dead hands... When I end up in a SNF, I will organize weekly trips to the trap range and find some way to shoot from my wheel chair...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Nursing homes can take my gun from my cold dead hands... When I end up in a SNF, I will organize weekly trips to the trap range and find some way to shoot from my wheel chair...
Better take the .410 because the 12ga will shatter your shoulder by then... :p

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
There's a county owned nh in my area that actually has a shooting range the cops used to use. Then they built a fancy one so they closed that one down, but it was there for a good 50 years

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Better take the .410 because the 12ga will shatter your shoulder by then... :p
....or flip the wheelchair over. Honestly, I'd like to see that. LOL

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
What is a "baker act", is that like when a person gets out some flour, butter, sugar, and mixing bowls and bakes a cake all while dancing to some Michael Jackson hits from the 1980s?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Florida Baker Act = California 5150 = Massachusettes Section 12 = Temporary Psych Hold.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Florida Baker Act = California 5150 = Massachusettes Section 12 = Temporary Psych Hold.

Ah. I'm not familiar with the state-specific terms, but I suppose "temporary psychiatric hold" would have been pretty self-explanatory to anyone.

I believe in Maryland we call these patients "EPs", short for "Emergency Petitions". At least, I heard that term in the inter-facility transport realm a lot; not sure yet if it's used as extensively in the pre-hospital realm here in MD.

skills82

Forum Crew Member

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hell I've always been of the opinion that everyone should be given a gun when they turn 80. Think what a polite world it would be. "pull those damn pants up youngster" "make me grandpa" "BANG"

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
My grandfather pulled a .38 revolver on a Nurse when she came in his room during the night to "check on them" his first night there, the staff got pretty pissed and took it from him the next morning.

He joked about having a shotgun loaded with buckshot somewhere in his place after the incident. Not sure whether he was joking or serious to be honest, it's probably the latter :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
sign1.jpg

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Just askin'

Did it occur to anyone reading this thread that there was a huge opportunity to learn from this human being? Or was it just enough that you appropriately restrained and transported, keeping your own butt intact?

Here was a person who was pretty clear on what he was in the midst of. He even went to the trouble of getting someone to smuggle a gun in to him. Who do you REALLY think he was going to pop? Aren't you curious?

I'd be interested to hear HOW the OP treated the patient; what was the real lesson to this call? How will it affect the way you deliver patient care in the future? Was it easy to just CYA and make a note that you might want to pack a gun yourself in the future for those unruly folk in the SNF's or did it add one more layer of understanding of compassion and how it affects the distressed?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Did it occur to anyone reading this thread that there was a huge opportunity to learn from this human being? Or was it just enough that you appropriately restrained and transported, keeping your own butt intact?

Here was a person who was pretty clear on what he was in the midst of. He even went to the trouble of getting someone to smuggle a gun in to him. Who do you REALLY think he was going to pop? Aren't you curious?

I'd be interested to hear HOW the OP treated the patient; what was the real lesson to this call? How will it affect the way you deliver patient care in the future? Was it easy to just CYA and make a note that you might want to pack a gun yourself in the future for those unruly folk in the SNF's or did it add one more layer of understanding of compassion and how it affects the distressed?

I'm compassionate until they threaten my safety. If you want to off yourself, its your life. Don't threaten to take mine, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

I'm compassionate until they threaten my safety. If you want to off yourself, its your life. Don't threaten to take mine, though.

...and that's where patient care ceases? He wasn't "strapped". There was no mention that the patient was actually threatening the OP. You've still got a patient, or has he now become your prisoner?

rforsythe

Forum Probie
...and that's where patient care ceases? He wasn't "strapped". There was no mention that the patient was actually threatening the OP. You've still got a patient, or has he now become your prisoner?

He had originally threatened "other people" and himself. IMO that makes him at minimum still a suicide risk, possibly one of those types that will leap from the back of the rig at 60mph or do something else stupid. Worst case he could injure or kill the EMT in the back in the process. I'd have "strapped" him down too, not out of a lack of compassion, but from an overabundance of it.

firetender

He had originally threatened "other people" and himself. IMO that makes him at minimum still a suicide risk, possibly one of those types that will leap from the back of the rig at 60mph or do something else stupid. Worst case he could injure or kill the EMT in the back in the process. I'd have "strapped" him down too, not out of a lack of compassion, but from an overabundance of it.

So it's clear, I would make sure the patient was secured/restrained. My thought was more on HOW you treated him as a human in distress. You can protect yourself and others (a prudent move in this case) and STILL assist the patient in attaining a better balance.