Guidance

jalonso1023

Forum Ride Along
I am 17 and about to graduate high school. The only thing I am faced with the decision of what to do now, I love the medical field but I'm not sure if what I should do whether I should go straight to a pre-med program, or do something cheaper and faster like EMS or surgical tech. Really, I just need help.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
If med school is your goal, don't settle. EMT isn't a bad college gig, that I can speak from experience. Otherwise, if you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. Once you get to college you may find that your interest change, there are a lot of roads to go down in the medical field. EMT is an easy way to get exposure to some of them though and make more money than flipping burgers while you're at it.

OP
OP
J

jalonso1023

Forum Ride Along
Thanks a ton. In the end I feel like EMT is just more suited to what I want. Thanks again.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
...or do something cheaper and faster

I am going to give you and anyone else who cares a VERY valuable and free lesson to apply to nearly everything in life.

There is a triad which must be applied to most everything and it holds true in nearly all I have found. Out of these THREE things, you can ONLY have TWO at any given time.

CHEAP
FAST
QUALITY

Cheap + Fast does NOT get Quality
Quality + Fast is NOT Cheap
Cheap + Quality is NOT Fast

You are 17 and have your entire life in front of you, including deciding what type of education and then subsequent career you want. Which path are you going to take? Cheap and Fast?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to give you the same advice I got at your age because it worked for me: Get a college degree in something. Once you have that, you can try whatever career you wish, knowing you'll have a lifelong backup plan that gives you an advantage with many employers in many industries. If you wish to pursue EMS, fine. That degree won't ever be a disadvantage. Later in your career, it might help you get a higher-paying position within EMS, if you choose to stay.