"GRAY DEATH"

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,
Recently, throughout my area we have been coming across a new drug that is being called "gray death." It's a synthetic drug that's a mix of fetanyl, heroin and a few other designer drugs.
Anyone else heard of this or have any insight on this?

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
Never heard of it. Do you have W-18 in your area? It's suposidly 100x more potent than fentanyl. Perhaps it's the same thing going by another name.

Summit

Critical Crazy
With these hyperpotent synthetics where minute amounts can cause severe provider effects through inhalation, via mucous membranes, or transcutaneously, hopefully your services are advising caution to include carrying extra narcan and consideration for extended precautions: gloves, gown, mask, eye-pro

OP
OP
soflomedic14

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
Never heard of it. Do you have W-18 in your area? It's suposidly 100x more potent than fentanyl. Perhaps it's the same thing going by another name.
I've heard of that but luckily I have not come across that yet. It could be the same thing.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't heard of anything like that where I have been, but I've heard other places getting rounds of it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've heard of it but we don't have it in our area. We really only deal with meth out here. Haven't given Narcan in well over a year.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
It's in PA. An officer wound up in the ICU after getting it on his hands while searching a vehicle. Impressive amounts of Narcan are used to reverse its effects too. There have been several PSAs on local news channels from police and fire departments regarding it as well.

OP
OP
soflomedic14

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
Wow, that's awful. Narcan is one hell of a drug thats for sure. But this just shows why PPE is SO important

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Makes me glad my area prefers kush, pcp, or wet instead of opiates

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Makes me glad my area prefers kush, pcp, or wet instead of opiates
I'll take a bad opiate OD over a PCP OD any day of the week. with the opiod, the worst case scenario is the person is going to die due to respiratory arrest.

with PCP , the worse case scenario is the person will go crazy, injuring several cops who are trying to restrain him, and if they fail, he will beat me to death with whatever he can get his hands on. and then he might die.

Harleyjon

Forum Probie
Heard of it on the news but haven't seen anything like that around here. I read somewhere, I believe it was on some forum somewhere, that some of these type overdose cases were requiring something like 8mg narcan to get any response. We only carry 4mg in our drug bags.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'll take a bad opiate OD over a PCP OD any day of the week. with the opiod, the worst case scenario is the person is going to die due to respiratory arrest.

with PCP , the worse case scenario is the person will go crazy, injuring several cops who are trying to restrain him, and if they fail, he will beat me to death with whatever he can get his hands on. and then he might die.
Wish I could like this status more than once.

jayrutjr

Forum Ride Along
Our dept had a in-service about Gray death and the Car-Fentanyl about 2 months ago! this stuff is very cheap and very potent.
I am using narcan at least once a shift. This is every 3 days so i can only imagine if i worked every day.
There is a chinese xanax thats been circulating in our area that they are putting opiates in and people are falling out like heroin users!
Its crazy!

jwk

Forum Captain
Carfentanyl?
Most of these overdoses are from carfentanil or carfentanil/heroin/other drug combinations, not fentanyl. It has legit uses in large animals, because it is so potent. There are a number of other fentanyl derivatives in common medical use, including sufentanil and alfentanil. Like many drugs, there are lots of various formulations and combinations developed along the way during the R&D process. Some work, some don't, and some are downright nasty.

http://wildpharm.com/medications/zoo-animals/item/34-carfentanil-citrate-cii-5ml-3mgml.html

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most of these overdoses are from carfentanil or carfentanil/heroin/other drug combinations, not fentanyl. It has legit uses in large animals, because it is so potent. There are a number of other fentanyl derivatives in common medical use, including sufentanil and alfentanil. Like many drugs, there are lots of various formulations and combinations developed along the way during the R&D process. Some work, some don't, and some are downright nasty.

http://wildpharm.com/medications/zoo-animals/item/34-carfentanil-citrate-cii-5ml-3mgml.html
You should post here more, JWK

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey all,
Recently, throughout my area we have been coming across a new drug that is being called "gray death." It's a synthetic drug that's a mix of fetanyl, heroin and a few other designer drugs.
Anyone else heard of this or have any insight on this?

We are dealing with it around the Baltimore/D.C. Metro area.... all depends on how aggressive the medic is when trying to resuscitate. Typically if it's suspected to be something other then straight opioids or heroin we will start with 4mg Narcan followed by another 4mg. Some providers will give more then that, and transport to hospital. After 8mg I pack up shop if we haven't made improvements. We can terminate after 15 mins.