good movies about EMS

haywood415

Forum Probie
any good movies out there about EMS crews? theres plenty about firefighters, most of them horribly inaccurate but what about EMS? feel free to add firefighting movies too, cause theyre still entertaining

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I can't really think of anything EMS based, but "Ladder 49" is pretty damn good.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Mother Jugs and Speed.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Bringing out the dead is a great one. While there are plenty of mediphoric liberties, the general depiction of someone going through a burn out phase is pretty good. Never heard of broken vessels, will have to check that one out

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
I have this movie called Skid marks on my netflix instant que. I'm curious but scared at the same time.

otherwise, I can't think of any good ones other then "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry", although it's not exactly even Fire fighting, but still the only one off the top of my head.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have this movie called Skid marks on my netflix instant que. I'm curious but scared at the same time.

otherwise, I can't think of any good ones other then "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry", although it's not exactly even Fire fighting, but still the only one off the top of my head.

Skid marks makes a complete mockery of EMS. It was a spoof not anything like reality.

Oh and to see how many services still run just watch the old TV series Emergency.

OP
OP
haywood415

haywood415

Forum Probie
good stuff guys. Ladder 49 is one of my favorites. i'll have to check out Bringing Out The Dead.

isnt Netflix great?

OP
OP
haywood415

haywood415

Forum Probie
wow, so i just looked at Skid Marks on Netflix, it looks like a terrible National Lampoon movie. think i'll skip that one.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
As I said, never seen it, but was both curious but scared to at the same time.

Worse comes to worse, I just wasted a que slot and my time from watching it.

I'll find out later, might have to power up my 360 and stream it.

I'll check into the other stuff myself as well

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
There's this movie...

that about 2,100 people have seen. It was the World Premiere, Opening Night Film of the 1994 Santa Barbara International Film Festival. (Yes, klieg lights, Limos, Studio Heads, emerging and half-dead movie stars, International Press, the whole nine yards!) It was called Healer; a story about a reluctant medic who must choose between becoming a Flesh Mechanic or being a human being in the back of an ambulance; a topic no one had covered before, and has not since. The movie was stillborn, bankrupted a couple of people and got buried somewhere.

I not only wrote it, but was part of every level of production. I trained the actors in it and I'll modestly say, were you to watch it, I'll betcha 20 bucks you wouldn't think these were actors trying to act like medics! On the strength of the script I involved a whole California town in backing the story, and that included being given a completely equipped paramedic unit for the shoot, taking over the ER of the local hospital for one full day, and getting to use one whole floor of the hospital as well as a whole Nursing Home -- all FREE!

The best and worst year of my life! And, no, I never got paid for it. I have a cap somewhere I think and a couple VHS copies. Exploring the subject never left me.

So...in a couple months I'll have published a non-fiction book Moments in the Death of a Flesh Mechanic...a healer's rebirth which takes the movie's themes even deeper. I'll make the formal announcement soon.

Why do I brag about something no one can get? Because the second I can, I'm going to transfer that movie to digital and get you guys access to it. Please keep on my butt!

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
that about 2,100 people have seen. It was the World Premiere, Opening Night Film of the 1994 Santa Barbara International Film Festival. (Yes, klieg lights, Limos, Studio Heads, emerging and half-dead movie stars, International Press, the whole nine yards!) It was called Healer; a story about a reluctant medic who must choose between becoming a Flesh Mechanic or being a human being in the back of an ambulance; a topic no one had covered before, and has not since. The movie was stillborn, bankrupted a couple of people and got buried somewhere.

I not only wrote it, but was part of every level of production. I trained the actors in it and I'll modestly say, were you to watch it, I'll betcha 20 bucks you wouldn't think these were actors trying to act like medics! On the strength of the script I involved a whole California town in backing the story, and that included being given a completely equipped paramedic unit for the shoot, taking over the ER of the local hospital for one full day, and getting to use one whole floor of the hospital as well as a whole Nursing Home -- all FREE!

The best and worst year of my life! And, no, I never got paid for it. I have a cap somewhere I think and a couple VHS copies. Exploring the subject never left me.

So...in a couple months I'll have published a non-fiction book Moments in the Death of a Flesh Mechanic...a healer's rebirth which takes the movie's themes even deeper. I'll make the formal announcement soon.

Why do I brag about something no one can get? Because the second I can, I'm going to transfer that movie to digital and get you guys access to it. Please keep on my butt!

I dibs first copy.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain

I would love to read it when you get it published. Its great when people are able to share their experiences like that, with the general public, and provide a completely different view of what we really do for people who dont know.

On a side note, you wont see very many accurate good portrayals of EMS providers in Hollywood. If they were to do a movie or a show about what we really do, it would flop... face it.. taking a nursing home patient to the ER who fell a week ago for a hip fracture or picking up a lady who calls for a cough x 1 week and her doctor is closed because its sunday... doesnt exactly ooze excitement and drama...

It usually ends up being something along the lines of the tv show Trauma, which is excitement, guts, glory and sex. Thats what gets people's attention these days..

Same thing goes with firefighting movies, you dont ever see a movie featuring firefighters doing station duties and running a few medical calls, cooking dinner, watching tv and then going to bed.. its all explosions and crazy housefires and insane rescues.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
wow, so i just looked at Skid Marks on Netflix, it looks like a terrible National Lampoon movie. think i'll skip that one.

Watch it! It's funny! And it's a pretty accurate portrayal of how most EMT-Basic's are!!! And they make fun of us!

"So what can you do?" "Uhm,? Have some O2!"

bkelly

Forum Ride Along
Skidmarks is stupid. Don't waste your time. I think the 20th american pie would probably be better than skidmarks. Bringing out the dead is awesome!

OP
OP
haywood415

haywood415

Forum Probie
i got Bringing Out The Dead and Broken Vessels in my Netflix queue. Ill post back after I watch 'em.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Smoke Jumpers and Fireproof

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard