Gold Cross Ambulance Strike

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The area is still being covered by other companies (my company included). Out there they do need things to change. A/C not working in units and stations, no raises in 6+ years, no benefits (or very bad ones), and minimum wage pay.

terrible one

Always wandering
$9/hr for paramedics, not surprised when you have an area as saturated as SoCal with providers. These days people are willing to work for next to nothing in hopes of getting a FD job. No thanks.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
I heard about that pay rate. Emts near me make about the same or even slightly more.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Now Redlands AMR is talking about going on strike. Last I heard EMTs were trying to push for $15 an hour.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
Emts around here generally make 9-10$ p/h , not sure about medics. I do know when rural/metro had the strike over In new york for like a day, we where being sent over to work that week.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
^^^ Yup, and were quickly sent home. ;)

I -am- happy that ended quickly, there's no way that few providers could cover this area.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Last edited by a moderator:

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
I have to applaud the people who were on strike for creating a 'voice' for fellow EMTs and medics. The response provided by the operations manager in the video was very unprofessional; whom placed accusations and reluctance to resolve issues his employees were facing. I do not believe the general public recognize how poor most of our working conditions are and if we continue to allow for-profit companies to neglect their employees, we will inhibit EMS to professionalize. It is about time people stepped up to the plate!

BLZ54

Forum Ride Along
This strike is becoming more ridiculous as it keeps going on. If any of you have seen the comments on social media sites by the union president, throwing around the F-word like crazy toward company representatives, you'll understand that things are getting out of hand. These workers have mouths to feed and the union president is manipulating them into thinking they're fighting for some higher cause when it's really the well-being of the community that they should be focusing on.

When those who are on strike finally have to resort to work are threatened and slandered by their former peers, what is the real purpose of this strike anyway? It's not uncommon for some medics to be making $60-70k per year with a base pay rate in the $10 range and yet they have the nerve to demand more money. Many people seem to forget how quickly overtime multipliers and chart completion bonuses add up in this industry. Mind you, this for individuals with a 1 year degree, not even an associates degree.

In the end, it's important to understand all of the facts and circumstances that are not being mentioned before listening to the mindless banter of those who are on strike and have no regard for serving their community as they vowed to do.

terrible one

Always wandering
What's the base pay for FD and PD in the area? I imagine its higher than $9/10hr. Do those professions require a 2 or 4 year degree?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
This strike is becoming more ridiculous as it keeps going on. If any of you have seen the comments on social media sites by the union president, throwing around the F-word like crazy toward company representatives, you'll understand that things are getting out of hand. These workers have mouths to feed and the union president is manipulating them into thinking they're fighting for some higher cause when it's really the well-being of the community that they should be focusing on.

When those who are on strike finally have to resort to work are threatened and slandered by their former peers, what is the real purpose of this strike anyway? It's not uncommon for some medics to be making $60-70k per year with a base pay rate in the $10 range and yet they have the nerve to demand more money. Many people seem to forget how quickly overtime multipliers and chart completion bonuses add up in this industry. Mind you, this for individuals with a 1 year degree, not even an associates degree.

In the end, it's important to understand all of the facts and circumstances that are not being mentioned before listening to the mindless banter of those who are on strike and have no regard for serving their community as they vowed to do.

Id strike or move too if I made my lavish pay on 96 hour weeks in trucks with no A/C and an employer stupid enough to publicly say "that's Ford's problem, not ours."

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Id strike or move too if I made my lavish pay on 96 hour weeks in trucks with no A/C and an employer stupid enough to publicly say "that's Ford's problem, not ours."

Not to mention cost of living. It's at least twice what it is in my area, and the area I'm moving, but they make the same or less than EMTs and medics in those areas.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Not to mention, the coverings units tires that just happened to become slashed...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well that's not good..

Ive heard its much worse than that... rumor has it that the strikers are interfering with the 911 calls and are inhibiting the ambulance crews of doing their jobs while on scene of those calls. Rumors of course... I don't know if there is any hint of truth in that.