Glucose Flavors

Do you think there should be more flavors of Glucose available?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Tastes like crap anyway

• Answer not listed

• Total voters

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I got to thinking about this many times, but this morning more than ever. I had to used four tubes of lemon glucose on myself.. and boy does that stuff taste horrible. And the cherry is even worse, reminds me of glue.

I know there is Fruit Punch, Orange and Raspberry Glucose tablets; but they make me sick upon swallowing. yuckers.

So what I would like to see done is different flavors of Glucose gel made.. And if they can make medicine taste so good, why can't they make Glucose taste better?
You may think that the taste is immaterial. But the taste of something that viscous is usually all that keeps it from coming back up in large forceful gobs. :blink:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I don't think it's so much the taste as the texture that gets me. BTW, orange is the least-disgusting flavor in all forms of glucose. I don't think there's much hope for making it any better. I have never had a medicine that tasted even ok with a flavoring. In fact anything liquid makes me hurl so I always mixed it in chocolate ice cream.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
have persoanlly used it several times. no flavoring will make it better.

i have found the chewabel tabsles arent as bad as the gel...

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
When I was a kid I had all my antibiotics in that pink suspension form, and it tastes great... you know the bubble gum. Me as a little kid *shakes bottle, drinks whole bottle, hides bottle from mom*

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
well it's a 50-50 split so far... tho i have never NEEDED it, weird things happen when you are working a long transport shift... bets are made... a tube of glucose dissappears... a crew member is hyper for 3 weeks... :unsure:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Last week another BLS unit was posted at our post. After we came out after lunch they put something on our door handles. I assumed it was glucose so I thought I'd just lick it a bit and taste. My ambulance's doors are sanitary like that. :blink:

As I go to do it my partner starts freaking out. I stop. We get a message on our MDT... it was KY Jelly.

Good thing I didn't lick 'eh?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I can't believe you would lick something like that Matt. EWWW. Who knows, it could have been splooge.

Anyways, I don't think they'll ever make glucose yummy, but if they try, they should make it like grape-flavored Dimetapp. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Glad it was KY not snot or mucus...........

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If it's wet and sticky, and not yours, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jun 16 2005, 07:11 PM
If it's wet and sticky, and not yours, LEAVE IT ALONE!
I don't think I've ever heard better advice.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 16 2005, 07:23 AM
Last week another BLS unit was posted at our post. After we came out after lunch they put something on our door handles. I assumed it was glucose so I thought I'd just lick it a bit and taste. My ambulance's doors are sanitary like that. :blink:

As I go to do it my partner starts freaking out. I stop. We get a message on our MDT... it was KY Jelly.

Has anyone seen the new "warming touch" KY Jelly..... gets warm with friction / time.... Shouldn't we use that on our hypothermic patients???

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Jun 16 2005, 07:23 AM

Has anyone seen the new "warming touch" KY Jelly..... gets warm with friction / time.... Shouldn't we use that on our hypothermic patients??? [/b][/quote]
You actually have to blow on it... so I dunno how the pt's would feel about us covering them in sticky goo and then blowing on them. So far outside of the ambulance it has worked well. ;)

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM
Has anyone seen the new "warming touch" KY Jelly..... gets warm with friction / time.... Shouldn't we use that on our hypothermic patients???
Just what are you doing to your hypothermia patients? :lol:

----

Flavors... how about honey? Anyone familiar with the Honey-Bear-Procedure?

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Honey bear... haha. You know a contraindication of glucose is the inability to swallow, well apparently since honey isnt technically glucose your pt doesnt have to be able to swallow to give it. My mom told me she rolled up to an unconcious known diabetic and the LVNS were pouring honey in her mouth. NIIICE :rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit+Jun 17 2005, 11:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Summit @ Jun 17 2005, 11:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM
Just what are you doing to your hypothermia patients? :lol:
[/b][/quote]
Well.... if we need to put a nasal airway in.... shouldn't we use a product with an added benifit??? :lol: :p

Summit

Critical Crazy
The Honey Bear Procedure does involve honey bear at the resturaunt... but not so much the mouth. :lol:

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Summit@Jun 18 2005, 10:44 PM
The Honey Bear Procedure does involve honey bear at the resturaunt... but not so much the mouth. :lol:
wha wha what!?!?!?!

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Jun 17 2005, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Jun 16 2005, 07:23 AM

Has anyone seen the new "warming touch" KY Jelly..... gets warm with friction / time.... Shouldn't we use that on our hypothermic patients??? [/b][/quote]
We want to warm them up, not make them horny.

Besides, it doesn't work on most areas of skin.. or at least you can't feel it. Or so I hear.

:huh:

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
I think I would rather lick KY than Viscous Lidocane or Nitro. Paste which I have seen some really brain dead EMTs in our service use. I think they left there heads at home that day. And they wondered why they didnt feel so good after coating the steering wheel and door handles with nitro paste and using no gloves........Just wonder sometimes how some of them still have a job.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jun 19 2005, 10:59 AM
We want to warm them up, not make them horny.

Besides, it doesn't work on most areas of skin.. or at least you can't feel it. Or so I hear.

:huh:
I know you can feel it on the back of your hand, and other areas more sensitive than the back of your hand... I dunno about the rest of your body. :p