Glove Poll

Just wondering- How many of you wear gloves...

• Total voters

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering how many/when you wear gloves on your calls.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I wear gloves on any call that goes from the resident home, nursing home, 10-50, or any other place to the hospital

I however don't usually wear gloves for transport from our hospital to a larger facility unless the need arrises, pt. pukes, blood from cut, or other bodily fluids. And also when securing the chopper pad and transporting the pt back to the chopper pad as we aren't the direct care givers.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I always wear gloves when making patient contact. If I get sick, I'm not the only one who is affected - my patients, my fiance, my family... they will all suffer if I am sick so why take chances. On a similar note, my fiance now wears gloves on every patient contact too because he doesn't want to chance making me sick.

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
over the years I have always worn gloves on EVERY call. Had a few Pts tell me they feel no reason for me to wear gloves with them at all. I explain that "I wear them, in case I have any cuts, abrasions, a cold etc, so they get it from me." That usually works with them & they are more comfortable then with me & the gloves.

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
i agree pt contact = gloves, the first time you think you dont need them you will its part of life...and i have a bad bad bad habit of biting nail and the like so no telling when i have a small cut on my fingers....

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I wear gloves on every call. Every time I lift the stretcher the gloves come off, and then I put a new pair on.

It's funny when I think about all the ways I could be spreading germs though. The back doors to the ambulance, using my pen with my gloves on, and I'm sure many other ways.

It's just not worth it to me to get sick over something as simple as wearing gloves and washing my hands.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by MMiz@Dec 4 2005, 10:54 PM
I wear gloves on every call. Every time I lift the stretcher the gloves come off, and then I put a new pair on.

It's funny when I think about all the ways I could be spreading germs though. The back doors to the ambulance, using my pen with my gloves on, and I'm sure many other ways.

It's just not worth it to me to get sick over something as simple as wearing gloves and washing my hands.
Same here :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 4 2005, 05:23 PM
I always wear gloves when making patient contact. If I get sick, I'm not the only one who is affected - my patients, my fiance, my family... they will all suffer if I am sick so why take chances. On a similar note, my fiance now wears gloves on every patient contact too because he doesn't want to chance making me sick.
So is that how you know he REALLY loves you??? :eek: :lol: :lol:

I wear gloves "going in" to most every call. Once I've packaged the patient and go to lift the strecher, the gloves come off. When I get the patient in the truck... if they aren't a "skell" and don't have any Blood or OPIM that I could easily come in contatct with (not vomiting, bleeding, etc)... I will take their B/P and continue my assessment with gloves off. When I go to start an IV, gloves go on, they come off once it is secured (partially because I've got messy IV skills :lol: ) I then put a fresh pair on if needed.

I got mocked in clinical for wearing 2 or 3 pair of gloves on a call, or not wearing gloves to take a B/P. I did pick up on the trick of having gloves on before getting out of the truck... great for those "nasty" places.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Dec 5 2005, 08:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Dec 5 2005, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Dec 4 2005, 05:23 PM
So is that how you know he REALLY loves you??? :eek: :lol: :lol:

I wear gloves "going in" to most every call. Once I've packaged the patient and go to lift the strecher, the gloves come off. When I get the patient in the truck... if they aren't a "skell" and don't have any Blood or OPIM that I could easily come in contatct with (not vomiting, bleeding, etc)... I will take their B/P and continue my assessment with gloves off. When I go to start an IV, gloves go on, they come off once it is secured (partially because I've got messy IV skills :lol: ) I then put a fresh pair on if needed.

I got mocked in clinical for wearing 2 or 3 pair of gloves on a call, or not wearing gloves to take a B/P. I did pick up on the trick of having gloves on before getting out of the truck... great for those "nasty" places.

Jon [/b][/quote]
2 or 3 pairs at the same time? :blink:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Yeah they actually suggested this in my class, so you don't have to change gloves you just peel the top layer off and your ready to go with fresh gloves. Pretty good idea I thought.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Wingnut@Dec 6 2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah they actually suggested this in my class, so you don't have to change gloves you just peel the top layer off and your ready to go with fresh gloves. Pretty good idea I thought.
I wear 1 pair at a time, usually.

Occasionally, I'll double glove, but usually only for "really nasty" calls... like LeRoy the Skell, or trauma codes

Then I can take 1 pair off once it is dirty, and I don't have to worry about putting another pair on right away.

Jon

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
I normally gown up for the granny runs....... kidding. I do wear gloves for everything though. There is no point in chancing contact with hepatitis or other nasty pathogens. You are not only risking your life, but also your job and the well-being of your spouse and children by bringing home those nasties. It is irresponsible to not take reasonable precautions.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Reasonable percautions are washing your hands and work areas regularly.

Wear gloves when the potential for infection exists.

Don't touch doors, phones, radios, etc with gloves on. DON'T DRIVE WITH GLOVES ON. Even if they are clean gloves, you MUST consider them dirty.

This was a discussion I had at clinical with my preceptors. I've been through the super "train the trainer" infection control course. This is a topic I have some expertise in.

Too many folks in the field think gloves prevent disieases. Gloves don't. Handwashing does. Washing hands often, and keeping your work area clean (no cross-contamination to phones, radios, handles etc.) is the best way to stay healthy.

This was an idea in one of the EMS magizines:
Have a "Scuz Pen" - keep it in your shirt pocket, sleeve pocket, wherever works for you. Use it only with gloves on, and also use it to have patients sign things. Replace it frequently (cheap drugstore pens work great).

Don't chew on your pens. Espicially not your "scuz pen."

Jon

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
The scuz pen should stay in the clipboard, not your pocket. Never keep anything that can be cross contaminated on your person.
You are right about handwashing *shudder*, but handwashing is secondary to gloves since it is possible to become infected with certain things before you get to the foam or gel. Change gloves at each task change (writing, patient contact, driving, etc.), gloves are cheap!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by hfdff422@Dec 6 2005, 02:08 PM
The scuz pen should stay in the clipboard, not your pocket. Never keep anything that can be cross contaminated on your person.
You are right about handwashing *shudder*, but handwashing is secondary to gloves since it is possible to become infected with certain things before you get to the foam or gel. Change gloves at each task change (writing, patient contact, driving, etc.), gloves are cheap!
Right on. and the clipboard is a great place for it.

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Dec 7 2005, 10:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Dec 7 2005, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hfdff422@Dec 6 2005, 02:08 PM
Right on. and the clipboard is a great place for it. [/b][/quote]
You are just happy that I broke rules 1-20 and said "you are right"

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, its really not fair to lie to the poor boy. It just gets his hopes up and then we are forced to squash them.

As for breaking the rules....your punishment is to go out back and lash yourself 50 times with the pair of dirty gloves you next take off....

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Dec 7 2005, 11:38 AM
You know, its really not fair to lie to the poor boy. It just gets his hopes up and then we are forced to squash them.

As for breaking the rules....your punishment is to go out back and lash yourself 50 times with the pair of dirty gloves you next take off....
I'll make sure I blow off any runs above the granny bus level until then- yeah right.

TalkEMS

Forum Ride Along
I do recall the first day of basic class and something along the lines "BSI - SCENE SAFETY" being said over and over again. Why not glove up?

Matt

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate wearing gloves in the winter, makes my hands more cold than if I had none on at all. :angry: