Glasses vs. Contacts

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys, so I was wondering for those of you who have vision problems what do you prefer to wear? I use glasses right now, but I worry about adjusting them all the time out in the field.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wear both. Contacts for most shifts, but glasses if I'm feeling lazy. I dont notice myself adjusting them any more than my sunglasses when I'm wearing contacts

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I use both as well. I wear contacts during day shifts and at night until I go to bed. From that point on it's glasses. No biggie either way.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Glasses always fog up for me when wearing an N95 or face shield mask. Also annoying to have in the unlikely situation that you need to go "hands on" with somebody for whatever reason (psych, angry drunk, demented combative geriatrics, etc). But contacts are annoying to put in. I'm hoping to get laser eye surgery sometime in the next year. Realistically though either is fine.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Every time some random thing goes careening off of my glasses lens I'm glad I wear them. Every time they fog up, get prints, or rain on them, I despise wearing them.

Saving up for laser heat vision. I can always wear clear/tinted glasses afterward.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Every time some random thing goes careening off of my glasses lens I'm glad I wear them. Every time they fog up, get prints, or rain on them, I despise wearing them.

Saving up for laser heat vision. I can always wear clear/tinted glasses afterward.
I've always wanted laser vision
image.jpeg

daysquad

Forum Probie
Actually, it would really depend on your needs and preferences. I used to have contacts but not this time. By the way, I'm wearing eye glasses because I do have astigmatism and I'm advised by my optometrist that it would be better for me.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Currently I were both daily disposable contacts and eyeglasses. I find the combination to be generally agreeable most of the time. This is because I can simply toss my contacts when I am ready to go to bed and I can wear glasses the rest of the evening if I need to. What this also means is that if I am traveling somewhere I have to bring my contacts with me. This isn't much of a problem as I also don't need to bring all the other stuff too.

I used to use contact lenses that I could wear continuously for up to two weeks. Those generally worked well but I had to get rid of a couple of pairs a couple of times because of my infections. These lenses are a bit more expensive as you only get 12 lenses at a time for a six-month supply, each eye. What is nice is that you wake up and you can see well. Worst case usually is you put in a couple drops of saline if the lenses get a little dry or have a little debris on them.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I have extended wear contacts that I always wear.

I wear glasses when I want to give me eyes "a break" from the contacts, since they are so thick (extended wear).

For me, contacts work better in the field. I don't have to clean/adjust them.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I wear glasses, but that's just because I got annoyed with trying to put in contacts when I was younger (although I preferred them). At this point, I am just doing the corrective surgery, so I am not sure I see a reason to mess with contacts til then.

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Contacts most of the time, but I have a pair of glasses I always bring with me in case the contacts start bothering me, or if I work more than 14 hours I like to rest my eyes a little. I've thought about trying prescription sunglasses/eye pro for awhile, but they cost so much and I'm so very cheap.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Both as well. If I am working overnights, I will use contacts during the day and switch to glasses late at night.

Rin

Forum Captain
A few more things to consider: Contacts dry out in the winter when the heat's constantly blasting. Glasses bounce off my face while doing compressions.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
A few more things to consider: Contacts dry out in the winter when the heat's constantly blasting. Glasses bounce off my face while doing compressions.
that must look funny

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
It did result in me once tensely telling an EMT, "My glasses! Fix my glasses!" because I didn't want to interrupt compressions but they were about to fall into vomit. :eek:
get one of those adjustable croakies

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
Mostly contact lenses, daily throwaways. It's nice to have the option of wearing real sunglasses after years of transition glasses. Always keep spare contacts in the work bag. The volunteer crew could always tell when I showed up fresh from bed for a night call when I was wearing my specs.