Getting the most out of private ems

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
Alright. I've been working for a private company for a while now. It's been about a year and ive hit a wall. I am feverishly trying to hang in there and make the most of it but private ems has chewed me up and spat me out.

Before the keyboard warriors attack just read ahead.

I know private ambulance companies are not glamorous. It's a lot of transports and dialysis. But me being as stubborn as I am I refuse to let this burn me out. Ive been trying my hardest to make the most of this experience and learn as much as I can from my medic partners and my Co workers. But as I've said I've hit a brick wall and can't seem to climb over. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can improve my learning experience?

I never wanted to be some hero or trauma junkie. I got in this field to help people in some way and contribute to my fellow man.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Not trying to be an ***... Switch departments? get out of private EMS? You can't be stubborn and not let it get to you, if its getting to you its getting to you, you cant change it.

OP
OP
A

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
I gotta wonder why I bother posting on here

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

There's no set answer. If what your doing isent working you need to change. The only other possible answer is become an aemt or medic. Maybe that can change it. And if not maybe a new career field? Forcing yourself to do something only makes it worse, just being straight up, take the advice or not thats on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sadly, it's just kind of a slog. If you don't like doing basic doctors runs, dialysis and BLS IFT, it will chew you up and spit you out.

What have you been doing to make it more bearable?

Honestly, the world of private EMS, when you're a basic and doing interfacility, is kind of the same thing as being an Uber driver. I found the best way to keep from getting burnt out was to become a paramedic and move out and up.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

1) You're a Basic
2) You work for a private, for-profit outfit

Your options are extremely limited. Here they are:

1) Plan a few years ahead and start investing in education, so you can move away from what you're doing.
2) Change systems,
3) Change careers.

What you're doing right now is called 'tilting at windmills'. Maybe you've read the book, but in case you didn't - it's from Cervantes' 'Don Quixote'. Since it's one of the world's literature classics, it's highly recommended; but I digress. What I am - and others here are - trying to tell you is that you can't change the world from where you're right now. I understand how frustrating it may seem, but headbutting a brick wall will only make your head bleed. Don't run into obstacles, work your way around them.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Personally, just being an EMT shouldn't be a career. You should use it as a stepping stone to move up in the health care chain. An EMT cert that can be obtained in 2 months is really nothing, find something you want to absolutely do in health care and go back to school.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2137.JPG
Personally, just being an EMT shouldn't be a career. You should use it as a stepping stone to move up in the health care chain. An EMT cert that can be obtained in 2 months is really nothing, find something you want to absolutely do in health care and go back to school.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Sooo..... what have you to say to the 30 year EMT at a private service? I know plenty of them from all different systems and areas. They actually live pretty comfortable, well taken care of and enjoy what they do. A wise man once told me, if you love what you do its not work.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sooo..... what have you to say to the 30 year EMT at a private service? I know plenty of them from all different systems and areas. They actually live pretty comfortable, well taken care of and enjoy what they do. A wise man once told me, if you love what you do its not work.

I think it's all subjective. Everyone who's been doing this line of work long enough knows "that one EMT"...the "lifer" as we affectionately would call them.

To me what I had always found interesting when talking with these vets, was, their work hardly seemed to define them.

Many had families to support, bills to pay, college tuitions to fund, etc., but to them this was a way to selflessly pay for such luxuries for their loved ones.

I often wonder why this is such a big deal to people, as if a paramedics training is really so much better. More advanced? Sure. Somehow much more "noble" of a "career choice"? Hardly.

If you enjoy what you do, and do it for a long time with pride, and joy, then that is all that matters at the end of the day when you have to go home to your family.

Op, you're young, you have your whole life ahead of you. I am venturing to guess that many of my co-workers who stuck out being an EMT-Basic for so long didn't plan on it, and many would love a do-over, but they're content with what they have in life so who really cares?

What others are trying to tell you, is that you're still young enough to set goals up for yourself and give yourself avenues, though arguably one is never too old to change career paths.

They're offering you solid advice now while you can still make the choices many had wish they had made.

I personally have a lot of respect for anyone who sticks something out for selfless reasons, even if it may not be their "dream job" every day of their lives.

One last thing:
When did paramedics stop being EMT-paramedics?...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@VentMonkey could not be more right. The common ground that people are saying is if you truly love it, it's not a job. But in order for you to truly love it, you shouldn't be "forcing yourself" to do that job.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
A couple of years ago, when National Registry changed it.
Lol, fair enough. My point being, my scope includes everything that it did when I started as a basic, and without a solid fundamental of what it is EMT's vs. an "NR-P" does and doesn't do, the advanced skills and training become moot.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

My old partner was a 10 year AEMT. He was maxed out on our old pay scale before they restructured it to give raises earlier but capped it so if he would've gone to medic school and promoted he would've taken a 10k a year pay cut then when maxed out after 5 years of being a medic would've basically made the same amount of money he did as an AEMT. Wasn't worth it to him to promote.

It was always entertaining to tell students my AEMT partner made nearly the same annual salary that I did as a Paramedic FTO. Didn't bother me though because he was better to work with than many of the Medics I worked with and ultimately I could still overrule him ;)

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant

If being a basic is what they enjoy, more power to them. Just like somebody being a CNA for 30 years. A lot of people use that as a stepping stone to become an RN. Personally though, I wouldn't want to be a glorified taxi driver for the rest of my life.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When the pt signs my laptop, I often say "we're just like UPS... but for people"

Similar saying here. "Sign for your package here, please."- me to random ED RN.