Getting injured

markymark

Forum Ride Along
I have used the search bar but couldnt find anything on this. I was wondering what happens if you get injured on the job. Lets say back injury or something that puts you out of work for awhile. Do you get paid at all during this time? Is each agency different when it comes to things like this? for instance, private vs fire based. Just curious as I couldnt find much about it. thanks!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As with any job, it is called Workers Comp.

You also have options typically to purchase Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability as extra benefits you have to pay for.

OP
OP
M

markymark

Forum Ride Along
Ok, thanks. Do most people do short or long term?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That all depends on you and whether you feel there is enough risk to justify it and how much you can afford to be taken out of your check.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I think most places I've been cover you for short-term and you have the option of adding long-term if you're, uh, older and wiser than I am.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you get hurt on the job but can work in an office capacity we get paid our normal hourly but only work office hours so 40 hours/week rather than our normal 48/week so you lose the OT.

If you can't work at all or if it was a non-work related injury you go first on short term disability which is up to 90 days. After that we have long term disability which is like 3-3.5 years, I can't remember how long exactly. Our STD is 66 2/3% of base salary so what you'd make working only what you're scheduled. Once you go on long term disability it becomes 66 2/3% of what you made for that month the previous year so if you consistently work OT that's included when they calculate the percentage.

It's long to be different depending on your agency and what company they contract for their benefits package.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you're injured on duty worker's comp handles all that. Once you can come back to light duty you work a 40 hour 9-5 work week. If you have short term disability insurance you can use that as well to make up for lost OT. We also allow non-duty related injured members to come back to light duty if need be. Short term disability and accident coverage (on and off duty) is provided by the company and comes out of your paycheck, you get to pick what sort of coverage you have. I have six months from the day I get hurt of close to full wages but I am worried about blowing a knee skiing or something like that.

Long term disability is provided through worker's comp, and I don't think anyone purchases separate insurance for that for an off duty occurrence.

Incidentally we switched from Aflac to Colonial today so I had to go deal with all of this as the first thing back from vaca...