Getting EMT-B cert for Firefighting?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You'd fit right in down at the 10 week patch factory school for Houston Fire Department Scaramedics.

Holy cow, what is with your infatuation with TEEX this past week?

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
I am utterly shocked that not a single person here mentioned the Explorers program.

I know it isn't a regional thing because all the departments back home in Ohio had one, and a fair number of the ones up here have them too.

You've gotten some great advice... get in good physical condition, work on skills that while not directly related to the EMS/Fire Service will come in handy (someone mentioned a CDL, working with heavy equipment, learning spanish.. all great ideas, all with applications to emergency response) and keep your nose clean. Those things are very important...

What might help you get a job sooner rather than later is getting involved in an explorers program. A lot of fire departments have one.. it is a program that allows teenagers to begin riding along and experiencing firsthand what emergency responders do. You receive training, often times are able to apply that training toward certification once you turn 18, and there is no better way to find out whether or not this is actually something you want to do.

After that, I wouldn't start with city fire departments. Look in large towns.. some places have departments that are a combination of volunteer service and paid personnel (that is the type of department I volunteer at) and if you are looking to make this a career, that is a great way to do it. Start as a volunteer, prove your commitment and dedication, and when job opportunities open up you will have a much better chance of being hired than someone straight off the street.

Also, some departments have a "live-in" program. They allow a group of people (selected through an application process much like applying for a job) to live in the fire department free of rent and utilities, in exchange for a certain number of shifts a week (usually fairly reasonable) and let me tell you the experience is valuable.

By the way.. to those naysayers out there who think firefighters should keep away from medical.. I started out as a firefighter... and I put every much as much effort, passion, and dedication into honing my skills as an EMT as I ever have in the fire service.

Yes... some people just should not touch medical... there are quite a number of medical people out there who aren't firefighters that I think are just too stupid for this profession... But some people really can be good at both, love doing both, and put their all into every aspect of emergency response.

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
MrBrown should stick to discussing issues in New Zealand! First off, here in the states working for a pvt Amb company is a stepping stone to future jobs, including FDs. I don't know anyone who is planning on being a career EMT with an Amb Co. making $11.75/hr?! Even the companies themselves will admit this to you. So his point to Anthony regarding his intentions is off base and invalid. Secondly, I don't work or live in Houston but I'll bet my license that their FD is not training medics in 10 weeks!!! Also, news flash!!! Here on the west coast, FDs are pretty much the only EMS game in town. EMS makes up about 80% of our calls. That being said, why would you not include pre-hospital medicine as a stepping stone to the Fire service? People should do some basic research before posting opinions that show their ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't mean to break this kid's hopes and dreams and sound like a tard but the fact that EMS can be [ab]used in this manner just drives me crazy!

Break his dreams? If he attains his goals he will be a firefighter paramedic in two years, retired at fifty with a pension around sixty grand and full benefits.

Or he could go your route and work at a private company until he is sixty eight, hope his 401k doesnt tank and wonder where the money to pay for his medications is going to coming from.

At least he will be able to say he didnt use EMS as a stepping stone. :rolleyes:

Please, you do whats best for you and your family. I would never judge a person for a decision they made securing their future.

Fire pays better until that changes expect more of the same and frankly I cant blame them

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Break his dreams? If he attains his goals he will be a firefighter paramedic in two years, retired at fifty with a pension around sixty grand and full benefits...

Fire pays better until that changes expect more of the same and frankly I cant blame them

Touche my friend.

*Brown bites his tongue

Ow my tongue!

OP
OP
FuManChu

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone. I didn't mean to start a disagreement or anything among members and I apologize. I just asked this question, because in a lot of the research I have done so far, a lot Fire Dept's require some EMT training, so I figured there would be some useful knowledge here. I did already ask some questions on a fire forum as well, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get some info from here.
Anyways, thanks for all the info! Sorry again for creating a small disagreement between a few of you.
Thanks
-Anthony

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
You don't need to apologise to anyone on this site. I will let you in on a little secret, a large number of these monkeys will never make it into the ER onto an ambulance and for sure not a fire truck because despite their rap they just don't have what it takes,period. If you dig around you will find who knows their stuff and who are just tools with nothing better to do than take sniper shots at new guys that need a little advice. I don't give a rats butt what their level of education there is no excuse for such behavior. I have never seen such rude and downright :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty attitudes as some on this site have but there are also some great people with great advice that will ALWAYS try and help you out (a couple posted on this thread, hint) so keep coming back and asking questions.

You may want to take a look at firehouse.com and firecareers.com,both are big fire and EMS sites and will be great resources for you in the future. Firecareers has a paid side for job notifications but the forums are all free and there are many full timers and command staff that will gladly answer a new guys questions. Its been a little slow over there but there is tons of information to be found. You will get strong solid advice from those who have been where you are.

Best advice get your EMT, a degree,fire academy and then your medic (if you have an interest in medicine),get into the best shape possible,learn how to take a fire service interview (crucial to your success) and test,test,test. The average age for new recruits is about 32 with many of our returning heroes getting first crack at the jobs but you have plenty of time. That's the basic formula,pretty simple.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Disagree. Skip fire academy. Get your EMT, get your medic, then have your future employer pay for your fire academy... many are willing to do that.

And don't be against the prospects of moving, because FF jobs in Cali might not be the easiest thing to get in to.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
there are a couple of things that will put you at the head of the pack.

1) Excellent physical condition.
2) Unquestionable ethics.
3) Paramedic Cert.

Most departments, throughout the interview process, will look for and find the guys that have a moral compass that points straight north, are down with keeping themselves in excellent shape and have the tenacity and wherewithal to put themselves through medic school. Those are candidates that fire departments want.

Of course, if you do have Firefighter I, that's a huge help. However, most larger departments will put you through their own academy.

you may want to look at: http://www.aspiringfirefighters.com/index.html and order the "Aspiring Fire Fighter's 2 Year Plan". Good advice on how to build yourself into the best candidate you can be.

Good luck.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Join the military.

This. While it's possible to become a FF via the civil service process without being a veteran, it is a lot harder.

In my state, if you are a veteran, you go directly to the top of the hiring list. In many other states, you get points on the exam. If you happen to be a veteran, you want to apply in a state like mine. If you happen to not be, you want to apply in some state where they only give 5 points. ;p

You should only join the military if you want to serve in that way. But, the collateral consequence of that service is that you may well find it much easier to get your dream job when you're done. (And, again depending on your state, may get creditable service towards your pension for your military time, plus an enhanced pension for veterans, etc.).

Something to consider.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Secondly, I don't work or live in Houston but I'll bet my license that their FD is not training medics in 10 weeks!!!

Certification, please. You don't have a license (I apologize if I was mistaken and you were referring to your driver's license as opposed to your EMT :rolleyes:). Yes - there is a big difference between licensure and certification. People should do some basic research on their own credentials before posting opinions that show their ignorance. ;)

Also, news flash!!! Here on the west coast, FDs are pretty much the only EMS game in town. EMS makes up about 80% of our calls. That being said, why would you not include pre-hospital medicine as a stepping stone to the Fire service? People should do some basic research before posting opinions that show their ignorance.

Your logic is a little skewed and you're not getting what the people you're arguing with are arguing for. The fact that currently the majority of calls a FD responds to are medical does NOT make it right, or the best way to do things. You'll find that most people on this forum think that having EMS as it's own entity is ideal - preferably operated by the government, a hospital, or some other non-profit health care organization.

I don't blame people who see that working as a paramedic in the fire service is much better than working for a private company. There are even studies showing that fire medics have significantly higher levels of job satisfaction, pay, benefits, etc than those in private services. That is why I gave advice to the OP. If I had the choice to work as a paramedic for a fire department or for one of the privates right now, I would choose the fire department with very, very, very few exceptions (ironically those exceptional services are not even private, they're hospital-based). Yes it needs to change but I do not expect people to take $12 an hour and crap benefits to work as good, well-educated, career paramedics in the meanwhile as some kind of futile protest.

I do take issue with the fact that the system as a whole encourages people who have no interest in EMS to participate in EMS. Firefighters who hate being EMTs but get the certification anyways just to get a job are pretty damn common, and it hurts a critical public health system as a result. It's like telling people "Well before you can become a cop, you have to be a nurse." So you end up with a bunch of people who dislike taking care of sick people and have no interest or motivation to excel at nursing working as nurses because they're so committed to being cops. And the freaking law enforcement community, which is inherently paramilitary and has nothing to do with health care, running a HEALTH CARE system.

People have referred to EMS as existing in a "black box" that is not subject to the scientific scrutiny that other medical fields were born out of. Hmmm... wonder why? Research is critical to medicine. It is not as critical to LE and Fire. If EMS were taken under the wing of medicine rather than organizations that were formed to deal with burning buildings... it would start seeing the benefits of evidence-based practice, higher educational standards, etc that are routine in other medical fields. I don't think your average firefighter, other than the few that are officers or have investigation, management, etc duties, needs a college degree or anything more than a HS diploma and plenty of on-the-job training. The policies and cultures of the fire service reflect this, and that's fine as long as they're just doing fire suppression & prevention and some technical rescue. I do think that your average EMS personnel needs a degree and a significant amount of formal education, as well as on-the-job training.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
MrBrown should stick to discussing issues in New Zealand! First off, here in the states working for a pvt Amb company is a stepping stone to future jobs, including FDs. I don't know anyone who is planning on being a career EMT with an Amb Co. making $11.75/hr?! Even the companies themselves will admit this to you. So his point to Anthony regarding his intentions is off base and invalid. Secondly, I don't work or live in Houston but I'll bet my license that their FD is not training medics in 10 weeks!!! Also, news flash!!! Here on the west coast, FDs are pretty much the only EMS game in town. EMS makes up about 80% of our calls. That being said, why would you not include pre-hospital medicine as a stepping stone to the Fire service? People should do some basic research before posting opinions that show their ignorance.
read
http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?pageid...=ESTI&Course=EMS135&templateid=14&navdiv=ESTI

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Disagree. Skip fire academy. Get your EMT, get your medic, then have your future employer pay for your fire academy... many are willing to do that.

And don't be against the prospects of moving, because FF jobs in Cali might not be the easiest thing to get in to.

Many departments in CA require a basic academy which includes FF1. Not all but many. Most academies have night and weekend classes which go well with other school and work schedules. Most if not all of the larger departments will run you through a recruit academy even if you have a firefighter 1 academy under your belt. The departments with the better reserve programs will want an academy recognized by the state. For a young guy some reserve time would be of great benefit when he starts interviewing.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I wanted to add that when it comes time to interview having an academy in your resume could be the difference when it comes time to extend conditional offers. Departments like to see that you have the skill,knowledge and level of physical ability that is gained when you complete an academy. Why should a department invest thousands on some poor boob with a medic cert that washes out halfway through the recruit academy. Gone are the days when having a medic cert and a pulse was your ticket onto the floor of most departments. With many departments facing huge budget deficits and the real possibility of closing stations an applicant especially a younger guy needs to have all the tools he can put in his box to remain competitive in a very tough job market.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And why waste thousands of dollars and a year on someone who drops out of medic school or fails the NREMT? ^_^

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If someone has FF1 but doesn't have medic and the FD sends them to medic school.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I strongly suggest going for the medic cert if of course one truly has an interest in being a FF/PM. There are plenty of departments out west that still hire FF/EMT's and many want an academy. I have never been in favor of getting your medic to get on the floor and like I said these days its not the ticket it once was. I think we agree on what should be done but we disagree on the order in which to go about becoming as competitive as possible in the state of CA. Degree,academy and medic,reserve or volunteer time,getting into and staying in peak physical condition,learn how to take a fire service interview and test,test.test. Sound a little better?

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
People need to keep in mind the drastic differences between jurisdictions and states regarding the EMS structure. As I stated earlier in this post, on the west coast, EMS (other than transport) is handled universally by F.D. using a tiered system of BLS and ALS, and occasionally ILS care levels. Depending on where you live, it is ludicrous to blindly give advice to someone telling them not to muck up the Fire service by getting their EMT cert. I'm aware of the belief system that many have of wanting EMS and Fire to be separate. That being said, having lived in So Cal and Western WA (both with Fire Based EMS) I have no question it is the best way to run EMS. It is Cleary the most inexpensive and provides continuity and lack of duplication of resources. I have a friend who is a FF (won't mention where) who is responsible for suppression/rescue only. You know what he does for the most part on a typical 24? Sleeps, watches TV and plays Xbox... yeah, yeah they drill a bit too. My point is, why have a crew sitting in a station sitting around waiting for Fires and rescues while 80% of the calls coming in are EMS related? For those who say that FFs provide sub-par medical service, I'd tell you it’s a stereotype. Maybe 25 years ago, when the trends started changing there were some "Truck Monkeys" who weren't happy with having do the EMS thing. Those days are over. Today's FFS (at least out west) embrace EMS as just as much of their job as suppression.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So instead of cutting back funding for a rarely used function and putting that money into a dedicated EMS group, you'd rather force people to do something they don't want to? Mmmkkay.

You living in only Fire based EMS areas makes you think fire based is the best. That's kind of skewed.

I live in DFW, one of the most populous metropolises in the world, and we have all 3 types of EMS in this area. Obviously I'd have more exposure than you at the different systems and how they work, correct?