Getting EMT-B cert for Firefighting?

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Hi all.
I am new to this forum, and I am new to the whole EMT thing as well.
I am a junior in high school, and have about a year left before I graduate.
Im not planning on going to college to get a degree, but I am thinking about pursuing a career in Emergency medicine and Firefighting.
I just have a few questions. How long are the courses usually for becoming an EMT-B. Also, I am not the greatest at math, would that hurt me at EMT training?
My idea after high school is, get EMT-B certified, work on a BLS ambulance for a little bit, then apply for a Firefighting position.
What do you think? I know some departments require more than that, but with some of the research I did, I might be ok. But if you have any suggestions im all ears.
Basically Im just asking for some guidance and tips for becoming an EMT-B to Firefighter.
Thanks a lot everyone.
-Anthony

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
EMT-B training, done through a community college, is a semester in length, typically 2 nights a week.

There is very little math involved in EMT-B programs. If you decide to up your certification to the Paramedic level, there IS more math.

Without knowing where you live, we can't comment on your plan. Some FDs will hire you without EMT, some will hire you with it, and some will not hire you unless you're a paramedic.

OP
OP
FuManChu

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Without knowing where you live, we can't comment on your plan. Some FDs will hire you without EMT, some will hire you with it, and some will not hire you unless you're a paramedic.

I am living in California.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EMTs in CA are a penny a dozen. Hope you have something good to offer to an FD

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Do you think courses in Fire Science would help a lot?

Would I have time fore these courses while working as an EMT?

It might, but I know some FD candidates in ABQ NM that were getting turned down even with an AAS in Fire Science or a bachelors because they were EMTs.

And working as an EMT might give you time for school if you don't have to work 6 days a week to make a decent wage

Rsion4191

Forum Probie
Well , seeing as you're in California . I know of a program here in Southern California that was a month long , five days a week 4PM-10PM . It's up to you whether you'd like to go to school THAT MUCH & whether it would fit into your schedule . If you'd like to look it up , check out CIEMT.com . Another thing , not much math is used in BLS . Biggest math I've really used is weighing a dialysis patient & subtracting the gurney weight . As for Fire , good luck with just an EMT-B Cert . I'm only a year older than you & even then , I still need A LOT more than just a cert to go into fire .

OP
OP
FuManChu

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Well , seeing as you're in California . I know of a program here in Southern California that was a month long , five days a week 4PM-10PM . It's up to you whether you'd like to go to school THAT MUCH & whether it would fit into your schedule . If you'd like to look it up , check out CIEMT.com . Another thing , not much math is used in BLS . Biggest math I've really used is weighing a dialysis patient & subtracting the gurney weight . As for Fire , good luck with just an EMT-B Cert . I'm only a year older than you & even then , I still need A LOT more than just a cert to go into fire .

Thanks for that info. what other things should I have to get into fire? Fire science courses? go to the fire academy?

Whittier

Forum Probie
Thanks for that info. what other things should I have to get into fire? Fire science courses? go to the fire academy?

Basically, get everything you possibly can to raise yourself above all the others... and there are A LOT of others. Even then... heh... not easy. If it's what you want though, don't let that discourage you.

Take a look here for some good information:

http://www.fireprep.com/how_to_best_prepare_yourself_t.html

AnthonyTheEmt

Forum Lieutenant
Hey man, just wanted to say welcome to the site. My name is Anthony too (not all of us can be so blessed). Anyways, im in california and also going for fire. Most places in CA require a minimum of a pre-service academy, and at the very minimum, EMT, and CPAT. My suggestion is get your EMT, get some experience, get your AS degree in Fire Science, and if you are feeling up to it, go for your medic. Also, where in California are you? There are some good programs up in the bay area of Nor Cal.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
He's asking on a medical forum about Fire Dept advice...

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
jtpaint

Hi all.
I am new to this forum, and I am new to the whole EMT thing as well.
I am a junior in high school, and have about a year left before I graduate.
Im not planning on going to college to get a degree, but I am thinking about pursuing a career in Emergency medicine and Firefighting.
I just have a few questions. How long are the courses usually for becoming an EMT-B. Also, I am not the greatest at math, would that hurt me at EMT training?
My idea after high school is, get EMT-B certified, work on a BLS ambulance for a little bit, then apply for a Firefighting position.
What do you think? I know some departments require more than that, but with some of the research I did, I might be ok. But if you have any suggestions im all ears.
Basically Im just asking for some guidance and tips for becoming an EMT-B to Firefighter.
Thanks a lot everyone.
-Anthony

Really, I was under the assumption that fire departments still played a role in EMS in this country.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
True, but Brown is a lucky one in that he's from a country where hosemonkeys don't play a part in EMS. For the most part I have been up front and honest about opinions on his best bets at joining an FD

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
They do, but honestly the best place to get info on how to get in to the fire service isn't on a forum where the majority of posters AREN'T FFs. It' dbe smarter and faster to go to a fire service oriented site where you will have more FFs, or at the very least, more people with experience in getting hired in the fire service.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I have to admit I always find EMS vs firefighter tension amusing. I dont really have a dog in this fight, but its still fun to watch.

OP
OP
FuManChu

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Basically, get everything you possibly can to raise yourself above all the others... and there are A LOT of others. Even then... heh... not easy. If it's what you want though, don't let that discourage you.

Take a look here for some good information:

http://www.fireprep.com/how_to_best_prepare_yourself_t.html

haha, believe it or not, I already have that link bookmarked on my browser. I checked it out earlier today.
other than getting EMT-B certified, I think I will take some fire technology/science classes, and maybe go to a fire academy.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
True, but Brown is a lucky one in that he's from a country where hosemonkeys don't play a part in EMS. For the most part I have been up front and honest about opinions on his best bets at joining an FD

That is your opinion.

I know plenty of degreed "hose monkey" paramedics, that are an asset to the EMS profession and havent seen the inside of a fire truck in twenty- years.

I dont hold any grudges as to where they decide to seek employment.

Why should they agree to lousy pay, lousy benefits and no retirement because the majority of stand alone EMS systems dont feel the need to pay and care for their employees?

My opinion is I dont care what color the truck is you show up in as long as your competent to handle your business.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown did not intended to ruffle feathers but stands by his unpalatable comments.

If you think I am harsh, those who are Firefigher/Paramedics and roll up to a call with two fire trucks and barell through the door in all thier getup when six guys end up standing around doing nothing with ther hands in thier pockets while one takes a blood pressure and the other attempts to turn oxygen on should come down here.

get EMT-B certified, work on a BLS ambulance for a little bit, then apply for a Firefighting position.

I've been to jobs where you can tell who I am with just doesn't care or worked with people who have the "this job will look good on my resume and that's all the effort I am going to give" attitude. It is sooo obvious by the way the Officer speaks, how they act, what they say and the *****ing they do.

Please do not use prehospital medicine as a stepping stone to the Fire Service.

You'd fit right in down at the 10 week patch factory school for Houston Fire Department Scaramedics.

I don't mean to break this kid's hopes and dreams and sound like a tard but the fact that EMS can be [ab]used in this manner just drives me crazy!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Get in excellent shape. Then get in better shape.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to have to admit to in a lie detector test. No drugs whatsoever, no underage drinking, no stealing for sure. Don't do anything illegal (even if you won't get caught by the cops... lie detector tests will catch you) or morally questionable. Keep your credit report clean and pretty. Yes, they can and will look at your credit.

Volunteer at a fire dept. to gain experience.

Go to college. Don't just take fire science classes. Get a degree. Get your paramedic.

Learn Spanish. Learn a trade that has nothing to do with firefighting or EMS... if you can get your CDL... great... working as an arborist, heavy equipment operator... stuff like that... for some reason Fire Depts eat that stuff up.

You won't get hired until you're at least 21. It will probably take several years after that.

Apply for jobs even when you don't think you'll get them. Learning to apply and test for fire jobs is a skill in itself. Many departments administer written exams early in their hiring process. These cover basic writing, reading, math, vocabulary, problem solving, etc. Make sure you're up to speed. If you don't get a high enough score, you will be cut out of the race very early on. Yes, you do need math. Not so much for actually working as a firefighter, but for getting hired.

Find mentors. Make as many connections as possible.

Join the military.

The sooner you realize that there are usually thousands of qualified (nevermind the unqualifed ones) applicants for a fire position, and that the departments truly have the pick of the litter, the sooner you will realize why you have to work very hard for several years to even be considered.

Last edited by a moderator: