Generational Gaps

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
(Split due to length)

I'm not familiar with jumping runs, though.

Or if the history or theme of most of the posts by @DragonClaw did not warrant such a reply.

I’m not trying to hide or deny imperfections brought about by any age gaps, simply trying to understand them.

Having a daughter who will officially be a teen this year herself was enough to pique my curiosity and begin this discussion thread.

Clearly there’s disconnect. Emotions get involved, and then it becomes personal.
That does nothing for the masses. And that is why I finally replied the way that I did. I speak for me here, no one else.

From what I’ve seen here, most of it has been attempts to help that have all but been thwarted by ego alone.

Again, nothing new to this generation, or even to a person’s youth, but at some point the youth we’ve all once had gives way to a choice in life. And yes, that choice is inevitably theirs to make.

But continuing to showcase how someone feels validated has never done much (IMO) for them in the long run in terms of making them a mature, well-adjusted adult that I can think of. Instant gratification? Yes. Long-term value? Eh, that point I’d argue.

For the record, I am not discounting anyone’s opinions or personal experiences as invalid.

Nor do I, or do I think any good-natured person on this forum doesn’t have the best intentions in helping the new people here along.

Sometimes they just can’t help themselves, but lack of humility is not the solution.

The history? Of what? This thread? My life?

Regarding the two partners that I didn't like working with because their demeanors, I had every right to say what I said. If you see something, say something. If not, you're no better than the man who passed by the injured person but didn't stop to help because he was afraid he'd be targeted too.

It's like you've lost the resolve to do your best, but still keep the keyboard warrior status fresh.

"simply trying to understand them."

No. You're not.

You're trying to tell people how they should feel. How they're not justified. How they're too new and too green for their opinion to matter.

You're not. You're trying to be validated in how you see things. That it is people who are "kids" who just won't listen. They keep talking back and ignoring you as if you've said nothing of value. Maybe you feel as if you've wasted your time and breath and hate how people keep talking back. You've *already* told then how it is, but they just refuse it. Seems pointless, huh?

"From what I’ve seen here, most of it has been attempts to help that have all but been thwarted by ego alone."

"Let me learn about the younger people"
"Runs over them to tell them to move"

Yeah, ego did get in the way. You literally asked for this but when it came to the table you didn't recognize it and said "I didn't order this" and sent it back. But again and again it comes back from the kitchen leading to you still not understanding.

"But continuing to showcase how someone feels validated has never done much (IMO) for them in the long run in terms of making them a mature, well-adjusted adult that I can think of. Instant gratification? Yes. Long-term value? Eh, that point I’d argue."

Oh. Dad...? Is that you?

I'm not in the army, I don't need feelings issued to me to have them. Among my bosses and peers, I'm considered a serious, driven yet passionate person who is calm and logical.

But you throw various things at me as if that makes me any less of a valid person worthy of respect.

And it doesn't. You can't take what I won't let you.

And I'm not your daughter.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
FD2DE00D-BA38-4E14-B01B-0B6C2BAE7A76.gif

@DragonClaw I’m not comparing you specifically to my little ones. Please know that now, keep it light, and not take everything so personal.

Or don’t, really, I don’t care.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Finally. The truth

Good to see that you feel accomplished [emoji1303] You’ve done everything you could to get to this point, adamantly (you like that word) rejecting our every attempt to reason with, or help you. You’re right, you aren’t our kid hence us not caring anymore.

Never forget that we’re all mad here and you’re the only Torch of Sanity.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
@DragonClaw

My attempts to discuss your experiences so that you may learn from them and from us have given you the latitude to pick apart bits and pieces and blow them up to meet your agenda. As someone already mentioned in this thread, you are missing the forrest for the trees. In fact, I think you are REFUSING to see the forest so that you can tell the tree that it's wrong.

Allow me to be blunt: If you act at work the way you are acting on this thread, it is no wonder why you are struggling with negative attitudes around you and people who are unwilling to help you.

With that, I am done responding to you. I realize that you aren't in the state of mind to hear this input and will likely lash out again at me, but I hope that someday you can look back at your posts here as well as the posts of people who have lived through your experiences and reflect on how much you have grown between now and then.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Guess I’ll just go ahead and add this topic to religion and politics as “things not to discuss while at work.”

I did chuckle at the Inigo Montoya quote. Undoubtedly my favorite character of that movie.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The irony of this forum.

I mean, I guess we're done here. We both seem to think the others won't listen and are adamantly refusing the truth.

But we both think we're validated enough to not budge. That our position is strong and right to be defended.

I guess that's all that's it's going to be when we think like this.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I feel pushed aside and invalidated. Some people here would rather believe I've exaggerated than what I said is true.
The reason you feel that way is because that’s exactly what is happening.

Maybe it’s time to accept that you aren’t going to kept the feedback that you were looking for, and just let it go.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The reason you feel that way is because that’s exactly what is happening.

Maybe it’s time to accept that you aren’t going to kept the feedback that you were looking for, and just let it go.

Yeah....

😅

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hmm, I don’t think everyone defines validation the same. I thought I’d seen what I would have considered plenty of that on here. So the “let it go” comment came from me after that.

I’ve done nothing to insult you as a provider, or person directly. “Keyboard warrior”, lol that’s a new one. Assuming you know my work ethics? That’s making things way more personal and specific and quite frankly irrelevant.

The last rant you fired off directed at me was actually in reply to @DrParasite, not you. But, out of respect (or so I thought) I tagged you in for insights...not insults.

Am I hurt? Nah, it is what it is.

@FiremanMike hit it on the head with his last post. And no, it isn’t an “us vs. them” world in my mind, but these are people who have been doing things longer, better, and with more education than even myself.

Work-wise I find that invaluable. Life-wise? Eh, I get it, that ain’t what this forum is truly about.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Hmm, I don’t think everyone defines validation the same. I thought I’d seen what I would have considered plenty of that on here. So the “let it go” comment came from me after that.

I’ve done nothing to insult you as a provider, or person directly. “Keyboard warrior”, lol that’s a new one. Assuming you know my work ethics? That’s making things way more personal and specific and quite frankly irrelevant.

The last rant you fired off directed at me was actually in reply to @DrParasite, not you. But, out of respect (or so I thought) I tagged you in for insights...not insults.

Am I hurt? Nah, it is what it is.

@FiremanMike hit it on the head with his last post. And no, it isn’t an “us vs. them” world in my mind, but these are people who have been doing things longer, better, and with more education than even myself.

As a note, keyboard warrior has nothing to do with your work ethic.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
As a note, keyboard warrior has nothing to do with your work ethic.
Yes, I know. I actually like the title.

I can eat crow with the best of them, however, do prefer mine doused in Tapatio.

I believed I did refer to you as a narcissist, I can understand how that’s offend anyone. For that I will apologize.

But it was meant to be less insulting and more an honest opinion on what I’ve seen from your posts.

Something to consider: none of your replies really offended me to the point of anger or true emotions. I’d bet the same could be said for a few others on here.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My recommendation to @DragonClaw is to just stop talking in this thread. Not because you are wrong, but because we are beyond the point of diminishing returns on this thread. You aren't gaining anything, and neither is anyone else. its become an exercise in futility.

Some people in EMS suck, some people should have been let go long ago, and some experienced veterans should have had their attitudes adjusted years ago... But they (and others) feel they are entitled to act that way because they have been there for so long, and now they won't change. Go to paramedic school, become an FTO, and show the next generation that you won't act like those two individuals. Don't tell them that you are better, show them. Keep doing what you are doing, what your supervisors and management expect you to do, and remember, at the end of the day, you can put work behind you and go home.

This should not be a hill you are willing to die on....

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
My avatar is actually a no-BS LITERAL keyboard warrior!

“Let me see your war face!”
———————————————————

@DrParasite, are you playing devil’s advocate here by saying that our allusions to use ones mouth less than their ears and eyes when they are new are ill advised?

Last edited:

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
One thing I've seen change with time is the acceptance of mental health struggles as valid and serious

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser