Generational Gaps

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I'm obviously not old enough to have picked up on what it was like before, but from what people have said, there was a lot of stigma or complete misunderstanding of what was going on. There's definitely still stigma and tons of misunderstanding that we have to overcome, but I think the more common mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety are much more accepted and bipolar is getting there slowly. Still have a long ways to go with schizophrenia, DID, and personality disorders, to name a few.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
One thing I've seen change with time is the acceptance of mental health struggles as valid and serious

It's a double edged sword though. We've also made some very pathological psychiatric disease and inappropriate social behavior as 'normal' too.

Seirende

It's a double edged sword though. We've also made some very pathological psychiatric disease and inappropriate social behavior as 'normal' too.

Examples?

Peak

Most of your axis 2 disorders and manifestations of somatoform disorders as things we need to accept instead of treating the mental illness.

As far as the social bit, have you dealt with the general public? Agression towards calm people who have not wronged you, the acceptance of mediocrity (professionally, socially, financially), the constant perception that the individual is more important that anyone else, lack of responsibility, over dependance on others.

Seirende

Most of your axis 2 disorders and manifestations of somatoform disorders as things we need to accept instead of treating the mental illness.

As far as the social bit, have you dealt with the general public? Agression towards calm people who have not wronged you, the acceptance of mediocrity (professionally, socially, financially), the constant perception that the individual is more important that anyone else, lack of responsibility, over dependance on others.

You're using an older edition of the DSM if you're still referring to axes. I personally only know two people who have shared their diagnosis of a personality disorder with me and neither of them acted like it was a something to just accept, although to a certain point you DO have to accept it as what you're working with so that you can be proactive instead of in denial.

I deal with hundreds of members of the general public on a daily basis at my job and I definitely see a lot of inconsiderate people, but they come from all generations.

Peak

You're using an older edition of the DSM if you're still referring to axes. I personally only know two people who have shared their diagnosis of a personality disorder with me and neither of them acted like it was a something to just accept, although to a certain point you DO have to accept it as what you're working with so that you can be proactive instead of in denial.

I deal with hundreds of members of the general public on a daily basis at my job and I definitely see a lot of inconsiderate people, but they come from all generations.

Axis is still a standard in psychiatric management.

FYI, the DSM is not a holy text. Many psych professionals do not agree with the DSM V over the IV R

Seirende

FYI, the DSM is not a holy text. Many psych professionals do not agree with the DSM V over the IV R

As long as we're not going back to the DSM I, amirite?

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don’t know what any of this means, but it’s ultimately generational progress, understanding, and respect...kewl.

Peak

As long as we're not going back to the DSM I, amirite?

Unlike prior DSM versions V was developed largely in secret, it turned out that many of the contributors had financial ties to outside entities. It also wasn't forthcoming on where most of the data was actually derived from leading many distrustful of the guidance.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Can they bill if they don’t diagnose utilizing the DSM V?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Unlike prior DSM versions V was developed largely in secret, it turned out that many of the contributors had financial ties to outside entities. It also wasn't forthcoming on where most of the data was actually derived from leading many distrustful of the guidance.

Makes sense. There are some useful changes in the V, but from what I’ve seen they renamed a lot of stuff for no apparent reason, and oversimplified a lot as well (sub types of schizophrenia, for instance).

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Good to know @Peak. We were taught to utilize the DSM V in our behavioral medicine courses, and to use it in our diagnostic tool box. I hadn’t realized there was such controversy surrounding it, but supposedly a VI is in the works.
(I have no desire to go into psych as a PA, but that was part of our training).

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I’m triggered!

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got off shift this morning, see a car circling my neighborhood probably for the better half of 1-2 hours. Get ready for my run, leave, see the same car driving around. Turn the corner and it’s parked.

I stopped and asked the driver, “Do you live around here?...” Was a younger gal, said she was arguing with her GF, but that she did live around my neighborhood. I’d never seen her or the vehicle. So I asked if I could get a pic of her plates. #Triggered...

She tried peeling out on me, but I still got the pic. At which point she began filming me(?) running away and continuing with my jog.

All the while she was ranting something; dunno, couldn’t hear her through my AirPods. Waved and said, “We don’t need this in our neighborhood...”

Mind you, in my late teens/ early 20’s I too was a handful. Maybe I am out of touch, idk. Just found it somewhat ironic and pertinent here.

I mean, my wife’s car was broken into in front of our house years ago. Sorry if I want something better for us and our kids (shrugging)?...

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I feel like internet access and electronic gadgets should be age locked. Wouldn’t help 100% but at least reduce today’s horror show.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Got off shift this morning, see a car circling my neighborhood probably for the better half of 1-2 hours. Get ready for my run, leave, see the same car driving around. Turn the corner and it’s parked.

I stopped and asked the driver, “Do you live around here?...” Was a younger gal, said she was arguing with her GF, but that she did live around my neighborhood. I’d never seen her or the vehicle. So I asked if I could get a pic of her plates. #Triggered...

She tried peeling out on me, but I still got the pic. At which point she began filming me(?) running away and continuing with my jog.

All the while she was ranting something; dunno, couldn’t hear her through my AirPods. Waved and said, “We don’t need this in our neighborhood...”

Mind you, in my late teens/ early 20’s I too was a handful. Maybe I am out of touch, idk. Just found it somewhat ironic and pertinent here.

I mean, my wife’s car was broken into in front of our house years ago. Sorry if I want something better for us and our kids (shrugging)?...

She was looking for crime opportunities by reconning your hood. Keep the pics or forward them to the PD as a suspicious circumstance.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
She was looking for crime opportunities by reconning your hood. Keep the pics or forward them to the PD as a suspicious circumstance.
Yup. Kept them. Also, FWIW, wasn’t a gen-gap thing IMO. More of a “bad egg” situation. Thanks.