Gay in EMS?

upstateemt

Forum Crew Member

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok.... Politics in EMS is a whole separate discussion.

malukapi

Forum Probie
Ok, here is my outing...I am a german lesbian nurse and EMT-B....

Last edited by a moderator:

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I am Gay and an EMT. I am generally assumed to be straight, and unless the subject comes up naturally I do not mention it. For example, I am not going to just mention being gay out of the blue, but would not pretend otherwise if someone was discussing their relationship and asked me if I had a girlfriend etc

Anyhow, I have encountered some very homophobic and sexist attitudes so far, but not what I think of as true hatred or bigotry. Usually it is meant to be humerous. I try just to focus on doing my job.

The thing is, I am not that touchy but sometimes do feel a little hurt when the assumption is made, even in jest, that being Gay makes you weak and silly. I also hope that the people making these jokes will show due professionalism in the field. Some jokes and comments I have heard about people with aids, and transgedered people are quite horrific.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I am fine with gays and lesbian people doing anything, as long as they do it well.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like others have said, it shouldn't matter, just as long as they do their job.

Myself, personally, I'm gay, most people don't know, and I don't flaunt it; no reason to.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I consider myself fairly conservative (well, in the words of one of my favorite talk show hosts, "more conservative than liberal, more libertarian than conservative, and more cynical and skeptical than anything else"), but I couldn't care less who my partner wants to boink at night. It's simply none of my business and I don't consider it an issue.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
When we are in uniform.... we are 1 color: BLUE.

Actually, when I'm in uniform, I'm black and tan ^_^

On topic... who cares? I sure don't. They can be straight, gay, bi, or into donkey shows... as long as they do their job properly, it's a non-factor.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ugh, this thread makes me upset. People are people, as the song goes. It is like starting a thread about red heads in EMS....

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Non-issue. Next.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Ugh, this thread makes me upset. People are people, as the song goes. It is like starting a thread about red heads in EMS....

How DO you feel about redheads? Personally gingers freak me out and I'd rather they not work in EMS.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
How DO you feel about redheads? Personally gingers freak me out and I'd rather they not work in EMS.

Is this in some sort of jest? While I am not a red head I can see how this might be offensive to someone who is.

:(

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
A little late here....

my opinion... and everyone don't jump on me here

I have no problem if your gay/lesbian/bi/ or any of the above.... you a person and i have no problem who you love.

I have a problem if...;

1. they're hitting on me. I don't roll that way. so, please, stop asking (theres a story behind that one)

2. they decide to give me a whole long speech about how I (being republican and catholic) are not tolerant to their culture. I am very tolerant... but I do not agree with gay marriage in any church/religion that does not accept them. If they want marriage in the state... thats fine and good.... but keep it out of religion. After all, it was adam and eve. I'm not trying to sound condesending or anything, but having been raised in California has really "bugged" me because everyone automatically things that because Im a catholic republican, I automatically hate gays/lesbians/etc... which isnt the case by a long shot.

anyhow. sorry for the short rant. but I just want to add my 2 cents and make it clear that I am perfectly fine with gay/lesbians in EMS. Theyre great people and whatever their preference is.... thats fine by me so long as it doesn't interfere with my work :p