Gasoline powered Ford E-450

i5adam8

Forum Crew Member
I just wanted to get some feedback on the newer model Ford Gasoline E-450 Ambulances vs the diesel units. I have heard some pros and cons about the gas engines but wanted to get some feedback on here from some folks that have had some experience with them. Our service is supposed to purchase one in the next several months.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll get about 4 miles to the gallon. Just sayin.

There is an FD around here that got them simply cause the chief doesn't like diesels. Well, they apparently HATE the fuel bills. I ran into a crew once at the hospital in the big city and I asked what milage it got. They said about 4 city. Maybe 6 highway, with a tailwind.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
yea the mileage sucks. my last service for 7.88 combined mileage for the gas and 10.1 for the diesels so they work out to be almost the same price when you figure price per mile. this includes posting/idling.

the gas engines are VERY quiet and do not affect the LP12 baseline like the diesels do, something about electric current IDK. they are smoother shifting and provide GREAT power. i would say the gas engines are faster and more powerfull than the diesels.

the cons are that if you are posting the engine cowl (interior space) gets really hot, like burn your leg hot and this really needs to be addressed by fleet with better insulation. the AC at idle sucks, you have to kick it to high idle (3k-3.5k RPM) to get the ambulance cool, which means that when at the hospital it sounds like your ambulance is about to grow wings and take off.

all in all I like the new gas engines, but have to question how long they will last with the way we all drive. I doubt there will be many 200k ambulances with the gas v10.

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
Our service has 3 e450's that are diesel and they are awesome! the nice thing about diesels are that they idle and run at a really low RPM, which will save a little on the price of fuel

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
The MPG sucks, around 6mpg. From the crew side of it I think they have better acceleration, much quieter, better AC, the cab is designed better. We beat our rigs up pretty good and they handle it. Can't speak to longevity but so far so good

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I would think those gas E450s get better mileage than that...

I still miss the gas engine Chevys we had from '02 to '07. Ours were 6.0V8 3500s with generator powered modules. We got roughly 9.5 mpg during a 12 hour shift which was a mix of idling, highway and in town driving. That was hand calculated and not factoring out the 4-8 gallons the generator used since it was plumbed off the main chassis tanks. The positives were that they were quiet, fuel usage compared to the Duramaxes was a wash when diesel prices went up and stayed up, and they were cheaper to run after factoring in repairs.

Even with the lower mileage I wont be surprised to the gas E-series cheaper overall to operate. Those V10s should easily make 200k+ with normal maintenance.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm usually in a 2010 E350 gasser Type II at work and by my partner's and my calculations the truck never gets more than 7.5 mpg. The day it got that included a fair bit of highway driving, a shift that stays in the city usually nets something closer to 6mpg.

As noted, the engine tunnel in the cab gets quite hot, but they are much quieter.

lifesavingsob

Forum Probie
The MPG sucks, around 6mpg. From the crew side of it I think they have better acceleration, much quieter, better AC, the cab is designed better. We beat our rigs up pretty good and they handle it. Can't speak to longevity but so far so good

We just got four new E-450 gas chassies, replacing the diesels about 2 a year. I agree with the above, but honestly the diesels didn't get much better mpg... especially the 6.0 powerstrokes. Theyre quiet, accelerate nicely, and are pretty comfortable. I can't imagine he gas will last as long as diesel, but they sure are nice while theyre new.

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
I wasn't aware that Ford was back to offering gasoline engines for ambulance conversion. Since I was around when they stopped doing that, I remember the reasons and wonder how they've fixed them. Or if they've fixed them.

They were fast as hell, but that wasn't necessarily an advantage as they didn't stop for crap. They also ran hot as hades, caught fire too often, and got about 4 mpg. Diesel is much better for so many reasons, I don't see us ever going back.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I wasn't aware that Ford was back to offering gasoline engines for ambulance conversion. Since I was around when they stopped doing that, I remember the reasons and wonder how they've fixed them. Or if they've fixed them.

They were fast as hell, but that wasn't necessarily an advantage as they didn't stop for crap. They also ran hot as hades, caught fire too often, and got about 4 mpg. Diesel is much better for so many reasons, I don't see us ever going back.

After the 6.0 debacle Ford won't even let you put a diesel in an ambulance package anymore.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
We've got a 2009 6.0 with no problems. It's too bad we can't get them any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The fuel economy does suck. They are significantly quieter, even in high idle which is really nice. Since we do SSM not listening to a diesel all night is a huge benefit. I haven't noticed increased mechanical problems, but ours is still pretty new.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
After the 6.0 debacle Ford won't even let you put a diesel in an ambulance package anymore.

It isn't so much the 6.0 issues as the newer 6.4 and 6.7 motors with the new emission parts won't fit the van chassis. There isn't enough room under hood and under the dog house. That's why when the 6.4 came out in '08 it wasn't put in the vans.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Looks like we are going with the gas Ford as well. If they have half as many problems as these last Ford E450 D's had we will be ahead of the game! I believe our last batch of new rigs (8) were only all in service at once 60% of the time, terrible motor.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Looks like we are going with the gas Ford as well. If they have half as many problems as these last Ford E450 D's had we will be ahead of the game! I believe our last batch of new rigs (8) were only all in service at once 60% of the time, terrible motor.

To the best of my knowledge it is now impossible to get a diesel in a Ford E-Series. If you want a Type III ambulance with a diesel I think the only options are now the GMC/Chevy G4500 or the Mercedes Sprinter cab/chassis.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
To the best of my knowledge it is now impossible to get a diesel in a Ford E-Series. If you want a Type III ambulance with a diesel I think the only options are now the GMC/Chevy G4500 or the Mercedes Sprinter cab/chassis.

You're right. The Duramaxes are decent motors when maintained properly. The Sprinters motor wise are decent as well. I think the problems we've had is due to how hard we run them. I:E anything will have issues when running 23 out of 24 hours in 100+ degree heat. I still love the Sprinter cabs though.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I drive a brand new, a couple of them actually. They're have alot of power, super nice to drive. But like everybody else says... MPG SUCKKKSSSS. I'm ALWAYS at the gas station! Seems like every two or three calls I'm filling up.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
. I agree with the above, but honestly the diesels didn't get much better mpg...

Diesel also burns cleaner than gas does, just a thought.

/Tahoe hippiness

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
So to those of you that have said you are always gassing up, are you posting with the motor running all day? We stay in stations in between calls and often turn the motor off on scene. Thanks.