Gasoline powered Ford E-450

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They run the whole time.

Mechanics were worried about the engine vapor-locking and not starting up right away so they stay running. Supposed to use the high idle when parked but those Ford 6.0s are loud!

Never been on a rig that had to fuel mid shift but I'm sure it happens. Always fill them on the way back to the garage at the end of shift.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Company policy is to never turn the rig off on scene. First off, its a diesel, so it is better to keep it idling than to start and stop all the time. Second, you never know when you will shut it down and not be able to start it.

Rob,

The 6.7s are sooooo nice and quiet. :p Sorry, have to rub it in. :rofl:

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with the first part and the last part, but that chewy center has me wondering, we leave ours on too, but what reason does the Brass give that makes it better?

Here's some light reading for you...

http://busbuilding.com/bus-conversion/diesel-engine-idling-from-an-authority-detroit-diesel/

I should have clarified, I was talking high idle. Somewhere north of 1-1.5k rpms.

My single biggest reason to leave it on though is how it reduces the chances of having a dead rig on scene. It doesnt matter how many lights I forget to turn off in the box, ad long as it's running, it'll keep running.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
They run nice, as long as you don't put them through the abuse that diesel engines are built for. Diesels are built to idle, that's why generators run on diesel.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
They run nice, as long as you don't put them through the abuse that diesel engines are built for. Diesels are built to idle, that's why generators run on diesel.

Diesel generators are built to idle, diesel engines in vehicles...not so much.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
The maintenance for diesel is less expensive. Gas engines have smaller oil pans and we burn a quart each day. Of the 9 or so in the county, 6 have blown and required a new block. The companies are ordering more as the frontline diesels reach the 200k mark.