Forgot oxygen

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I will reply once I get things in order. Just a moment please.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Clearly not every patient needs O2/IV/Monitor. Some patients need one of them, some needs two of them, some need all three of them. If someone is in an ambulance and there is an emergency then it is likely they will get one of the three. The sicker and more injured they are the more like it is they will get all three.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wait a minute. So you're backtracking from "Items 1, 2, and 3 are needed on basically every call and almost all of my patients gets them" to "Well, at least 1 of the three are likely to be used, the more serious the patient the more likely they'll get all three, and the provision that there's an "emergency" present"?

So, yes, I agree that the sicker the patient is the more likely they are to get at least one of those three, and more likely all three of them. That, however, bears no resemblence to your original claim and doesn't address at all the fact that EMS abuses oxygen more than Rush Limbaugh abuses OxyContin.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait a minute. So you're backtracking from "Items 1, 2, and 3 are needed on basically every call and almost all of my patients gets them" to "Well, at least 1 of the three are likely to be used, the more serious the patient the more likely they'll get all three, and the provision that there's an "emergency" present"?

So, yes, I agree that the sicker the patient is the more likely they are to get at least one of those three, and more likely all three of them. That, however, bears no resemblence to your original claim and doesn't address at all the fact that EMS abuses oxygen more than Rush Limbaugh abuses OxyContin.

I was watching Emergency! while making that posting and Johnny and Roy were starting an IV while a patient was on O2 and a monitor.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was watching Emergency! while making that posting and Johnny and Roy were starting an IV while a patient was on O2 and a monitor.

They also used IVs, monitors, and oxygen a lot on NBC's Trauma. What does Trauma and Emergency! have in common? They're fiction.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
They also used IVs, monitors, and oxygen a lot on NBC's Trauma. What does Trauma and Emergency! have in common? They're fiction.

Never seen an episode of Trauma. Johnny and Roy are not fiction!

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
While on the subject... most patients don't truly need a pre-hospital IV either...

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
It can't hurt?

IV Cannulation risks:

infection, phlebitis and thrombophlebitis, emboli, pain, haematoma or haemorrhage, extravasation, arterial cannulation, nerve puncture, syncope, needlestick injury.

Oxygen?

"Effect of high flow oxygen on mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients in prehospital setting: randomised controlled trial"

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5462.full

Results In an intention to treat analysis, the risk of death was significantly lower in the titrated oxygen arm compared with the high flow oxygen arm for all patients

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
I'm kind of a fan of that whole "charging for what we do" thing. Might make some folks think twice about putting O2 on pts who don't need it.

I really don't think those folks even care about their pt.'s bill...if they are even aware that every little thing they mark on their run sheet gets a thorough look-over by the billing department.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I really don't think those folks even care about their pt.'s bill...if they are even aware that every little thing they mark on their run sheet gets a thorough look-over by the billing department.

I do care actually. It is irresponsible of me as a patient advocate to perform a service the patient doesn't need when I know they will struggle or not be able to pay the bill.

I strongly feel those that throw their patient on oxygen regardless of the need are either seriously needing further education or need to step out of the profession.

18G

Paramedic
i do care actually. It is irresponsible of me as a patient advocate to perform a service the patient doesn't need when i know they will struggle or not be able to pay the bill.

I strongly feel those that throw their patient on oxygen regardless of the need are either seriously needing further education or need to step out of the profession.

+20

EMTFozzy

Forum Crew Member
O2 and go use to be the base of EMT-B Programs! Hopefully they start teaching the importance of not overing oxygenating your patient!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I really can't see why O2 is important in this patient...:rolleyes:

Im not sure where you are going with this one...

Is the sarcasm airing on the side of GIVING his patient oxygen?

If thats case, then you have kind of misread the entire thread...

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
I do care actually. It is irresponsible of me as a patient advocate to perform a service the patient doesn't need when I know they will struggle or not be able to pay the bill.

We have the same problem with patients in the hospital being on oxygen for no reason. I think it's one of those psychological things that just makes the pt feel like we're doing something and makes the nurse feel better. But if not needed (which it isn't most cases usually) it's one of the first things I D/C. Even sometimes have to walk the patient with pulse ox or check room air ABG just to prove to them that they don't need the oxygen if they put up a fight.

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
@NYMedic828

Sorry, but in my opinion, this patient did not need oxygen.

I know that I was not there to access him , but according to the info given, he had no respiratory distress, SOB, altered state of consciousness,altered circulation, politrauma, chest pain, hypovolemia or other clinical signs/symptoms that require O2, so this patient do not need O2.

The theory of giving oxygen to all patients its really annoying. Ok, can have a placebo effect? Perhaps, but it is waste of money and resources.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
@NYMedic828

Sorry, but in my opinion, this patient did not need oxygen.

I know that I was not there to access him , but according to the info given, he had no respiratory distress, SOB, altered state of consciousness,altered circulation, politrauma, chest pain, hypovolemia or other clinical signs/symptoms that require O2, so this patient do not need O2.

The theory of giving oxygen to all patients its really annoying. Ok, can have a placebo effect? Perhaps, but it is waste of money and resources.

You stated

"I really can't see why O2 is important in this patient...:rolleyes:"

I thought you were portraying that sarcastically in the direction of they should have had oxygen based on symptoms.

My apologies.