Flight Medic Path

mikepud

Forum Probie
I just wanted to see how some of you came to be flight medics. Where you started, types of jobs you have had etc. Basically your career path to a flight med. Any input is helpful as always!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Worked as a paramedic in a busy 911 service for almost 10 years, got instructor certs in everything possible, took part time jobs in hospital working in trauma center, PCU and ICU to get more knowledge. Took flight physiology course, took CCEMT-P, became FP-C....then started applying.

Was willing to move anywhere to fly, took remote dangerous gig in the Arctic. Got experience...led to next flight medic job in better climate, led to international flight medic gig...which led to remote medicine in war zones...which led to owning/operating own business.

Moral of the story...get a lot of education (degree), a lot of experience, instructor certs, keep applying and be willing to go anywhere to get that proverbial foot in the door.

Anything less than a college degree, < 5 years as a paramedic, none of the courses above...you simply will not be competitive in the flight medic market.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
might as well become an MD in emergency medicine or trauma surgery.

OP
OP
M

mikepud

Forum Probie
Re Flight med path

Worked as a paramedic in a busy 911 service for almost 10 years, got instructor certs in everything possible, took part time jobs in hospital working in trauma center, PCU and ICU to get more knowledge. Took flight physiology course, took CCEMT-P, became FP-C....then started applying.

Was willing to move anywhere to fly, took remote dangerous gig in the Arctic. Got experience...led to next flight medic job in better climate, led to international flight medic gig...which led to remote medicine in war zones...which led to owning/operating own business.

Moral of the story...get a lot of education (degree), a lot of experience, instructor certs, keep applying and be willing to go anywhere to get that proverbial foot in the door.

Anything less than a college degree, < 5 years as a paramedic, none of the courses above...you simply will not be competitive in the flight medic market.

What sort of degree?

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
Paramedic for 4 years, instructor in all the the card courses, CCEMT-P, applied and interviewed all over (was able to relocate), started flying, obtained FP-C and other card courses plus instructor, worked in level 1 trauma center.

OP
OP
M

mikepud

Forum Probie
Re: Flight med path

Associates or Bachelors.

Most of the replies are what I had expected, except for the instructor cards as well as the degree. I guess the thing I am still not understanding is what degree specifically? I know there are flight nurses, but thought they were seprate from the medics. Is EMT-P considered a degree? I didn't think so. So what other degrees are related to Trauma? Or would help someone gain a spot on a flight crew?

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
Most of the replies are what I had expected, except for the instructor cards as well as the degree. I guess the thing I am still not understanding is what degree specifically? I know there are flight nurses, but thought they were seprate from the medics. Is EMT-P considered a degree? I didn't think so. So what other degrees are related to Trauma? Or would help someone gain a spot on a flight crew?

You can obtain your Associates, Bachelor's and Master's degree in Emergency Health Services.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Most of the replies are what I had expected, except for the instructor cards

Card course instructors are a plus because many flight services do training for area services and hospitals. Some free some small charge but either way it helps keep their name out in front of the people deciding which service to call when they need flight. Also by theory if you teach it you should have ability to perform it as well.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I just wanted to see how some of you came to be flight medics. Where you started, types of jobs you have had etc. Basically your career path to a flight med. Any input is helpful as always!

Not only should you get as many instructor certs as possible and a degree with FP-C & CCP-C, you should also get as much ICU knowledge/experience as you can get. Because a flight medic needs to be ICU minded. If he/she isn't able to fully comprehend all the ins and outs of all pt care in the ICU setting (advanced ventilator setting, PA lines, IABP, pts on multiple pressies/dilators/anti-arrythmics/isotonic solutions/hypertonic solutions all at different doses for different reasons), then that medic is nothing more than the nurse's attache' and self-loading baggage.

Medics who aren't able to wrap their brains around all of that shouldn't apply in the first place.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Asking the question because I genuinely don't know... How did you guys get your ICU experience? Becoming a CCP and doing IFTs? Are larger ICUs hiring paramedics?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I'm a seasoned Respiratory Therapist, worked in a burn center, and I worked for a busy 911 service that housed a CVICU. Asked questions, helped out, got busy, stayed busy. Networked like madman.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

DPM

Forum Captain
Are Flight Medics / RNs aircrew? i.e. Do they actually have an active role in the safe handling of the aircraft, or are they more along the lines of self loading cargo?

I'm not having a dig, I'm just curious. I've under-slung loads, marshaled them and even taken part in an RPG assisted hard-landing... and there always seemed to be some fella in the back with a headset giving the pilot the old "down 5, down 4, tail's clear".

Does anyone know if HEMS Medics / RNs fulfill this role? Or is it up to the Pilots?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
They're not "self loading baggage" per se, but not officially air crew by FAA.

They do assist on landings on scene flights especially at night. However, if they were they would be restricted to the same duty hours by the FAA. Flight medics/RN's are allowed to work more than 12 hr shifts. Some work 24. Some even 48's. Though there are arguments against those. But that's another thread.