First Football Detail! Any tips?

Set2det617

Forum Probie
He guys! Got a football detail tomorrow for what i believe to be the college level or HS with rig. It is a BLS BLS truck. I am looking for some tips. Dispatch was very vague with details on whether we are working with Trainers or the only unit.

So i feel like i am walking in blind. Will probably get more details tomorrow but i am inpatient haha

Anyways i am looking for any tips tricks or things you have picked up over the years!
Thanks Everyone

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't fall for the jailbait.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There will likely be an athletic trainer present given that football is a contact sport. Introduce yourself to the ATC and see if he has any requests about where to put your truck and stuff. Also go over how he will notify you if your assistance is required. For what it's worth you don't really work with the training staff, they can take care of 99% of the injuries themselves and will do so. I currently work as an assistant athletic trainer and my boss gets a bit peeved when our paramedics are milling around the treatment area throwing their two cents in about how to treat various injuries.

If you end up on the field, listen to the ATC's instructions. He is more than competent in spinalling someone and things of that nature. He will probably already have manual c-spine, don't bother having him relinquish it or anything like that. With football helmets you can usually leave it on along with the shoulder pads to maintain a neutral spine. The facemask will still have to come off, but the ATC should be able to do that for you prior to transport. If you have to transport a player, the ATC will likely want to ride in so as to assist the ED staff in removing equipment.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get in communication with the coach, find out where he is and what he expects. Don't get roped into clearing people you shouldn't. Have a clear idea where you will take patients to. Know how to move around the venue, walk the halls etc you might be expected to know. Maye talk o an earlier crew?

Anjel

Forum Angel
We sit at the edge of the field in our truck during the game.

If somebody gets hurt that the trainer can't handle during the game. So something more than wrapping or just ice.

We get waved over and we take our stretcher jump bag, backboard or anything else that we might need.

If someone needs to go to the hospital, then we call our dispatch and they Send an ALS unit.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get in communication with the coach, find out where he is and what he expects. Don't get roped into clearing people you shouldn't. Have a clear idea where you will take patients to. Know how to move around the venue, walk the halls etc you might be expected to know. Maybe talk with an earlier crew?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Do the exact same thing you would do for any other injured patient?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Football duty for me involves the following.
A) drive truck to game.
B) sit in truck
C) get a frito pie from concession stand
D) more sitting in truck
E) going home.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Football duty for me involves the following.
A) drive truck to game.
B) sit in truck
C) get a frito pie from concession stand
D) more sitting in truck
E) going home.

Frito Pie??? :blink:

What sorcery is that???!!?!?:eek:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What!?!?!?

You've never heard of the magic that is frito pie?

usamypa3.jpg

Click and be amazed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frito_pie

Veneficus

Forum Chief

SSwain

Forum Captain
Around these parts, we call them "Walking Tacos".
I will be posting my first two HS games next Thurs and Fri night.
WIAA rules mandate that an ambulance be on scene before play can commence.
99.9999999% of the time it is just that...being on scene, and not much else. (from what I have been told)

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
Ya when I am on football duty about all I do is watch the game while getting paid.. Just watch out for the trainers because they will try to get you to start IV's and give them a fluid bolus during half-time and I know at my service that is a negative. My medical director said if they want fluids they had to be transported..

Also.. agree with the don't fall for jailbait comment. If I was single I would have to ask for 2 forms of ID with some of these girls :rolleyes:

+1 for Frito pie!

pilotmedic

Forum Probie
My I haven't done that for years. Gotta agree with others sheer boredom. Bring a book or something else to do. I always hit the food stand for a dog and some popcorn.

Cheers

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
My I haven't done that for years. Gotta agree with others sheer boredom. Bring a book or something else to do. I always hit the food stand for a dog and some popcorn.

Cheers

same goes with being at the county fair, it's nothing but band-aids and cold packs. mp3 player also works

choices are limited really, eat out of boredom, read a book, scroll on your facebook, mp3 player.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm amazed by the number of people who've never heard of Frito Pie....