First Call of the Year

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
What was your first call this year? I had a lovely psych invol. Im just happy he was nice.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Drug OD. 24 grams of Tylenol. 30 grams of Benadryl. 160 grams of cymbalta. Unknown amount of ibuprofen, but at least 15 grams.

Nastiness.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First actual call I didn't get cancelled on? Assist EMS w/ a "well being check". Crazy guy keeps calling 911. Never saw the patient myself, left the call with PD.

Haven't actually seen a patient yet this year. That'll change in the AM with a TPN Taxi shift.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Suspected CVA, found unresponsive. Intubated her in the ER.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I can't even remember our first call of the year.. I think it was at a SNF for "Low SpO2"

Epi-do

I see dead people
Belly pain, followed later in the day by a cardiac arrest.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
First call of 2013 was a hyperglycemia who AMAed.
First good call of 2013 was a shooting.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
First call, sick person. Emesis leading to syncope (vomiting is an uncommon cause of vasovagal syncope -- I was told I'd "never see vomiting make somebody pass out" about a year ago).

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Hip FX, unknown time of event, unknown reason (lots of shoulder shrugging and not my patient statements).. SNF AMS patient

Followed up immediately by a couple of ETOH calls. It was a long night.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
My first call of the new year started New Year's eve and ran into New Year's. It was a 26 y/o syncope turned cardiac arrest, with unknown reason.

leoemt

Forum Captain
What was your first call this year? I had a lovely psych invol. Im just happy he was nice.

Same, patient contacted SPD officers at the Space Needle and said he wanted to go to jail or was going to commit suicide by cop. They gave him to us for an invol. Took 30 minutes with lights and sirens to navigate that damn traffic. Felt like Moses parting the red sea.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We got call 0001 and it was for an assault. We got canceled.

First pt I saw was a drunken type 1 diabetic. Her bgl was 130 then 110 then 90. All within like 15 min on scene. She kept demanding it to be taken because she was trying to refuse transport.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
(vomiting is an uncommon cause of vasovagal syncope -- I was told I'd "never see vomiting make somebody pass out" about a year ago).

Say what? I have seen quite a few patients vasovagal while vomiting.

phideux

Forum Captain
A lift assist for a 500+lb patient at 0220 in the morning.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Requested by a BLS ambulance to rendezvous with them so we could "give fluids" because their patient was "dehydrated". Apparently drinking water wasn't an option??

leoemt

Forum Captain
Requested by a BLS ambulance to rendezvous with them so we could "give fluids" because their patient was "dehydrated". Apparently drinking water wasn't an option??

Not sure what your Protocols are but here a Basic cannot "diagnose" dehydration nor can we give fluids. Last time I checked water wasn't carried on my ambulance - unless they want to drink Sterile Water.

Signs and symptoms of dehydration and potentially unstable will get a medic eval.

The hospital is going to start an IV on them anyways, why not beat them to it and do it yourself - unless of course it interrupted your sleep.

Of course, giving a dehydrated patient fluids by mouth can lead to other complications such as vomiting. Dehydration + vomiting is not exactly beneficial to the patient.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not sure what your Protocols are but here a Basic cannot "diagnose" dehydration nor can we give fluids. Last time I checked water wasn't carried on my ambulance - unless they want to drink Sterile Water.
You need a protocol to allow you to determine if a patient is dehydrated?...

The patient doesn't magically appear in your ambulance. If they're at home, you wouldn't give them some water? At a worksite, you couldn't grab them a cup? Or is it not written in your protocols to allow the patient to drink?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger

Signs and symptoms of dehydration and potentially unstable will get a medic eval.

The hospital is going to start an IV on them anyways, why not beat them to it and do it yourself - unless of course it interrupted your sleep.

Of course, giving a dehydrated patient fluids by mouth can lead to other complications such as vomiting. Dehydration + vomiting is not exactly beneficial to the patient.

Well, perhaps you can't "diagnose" it, but dehydration is generally pretty easy to recognize. Nothing life threatening about the situation, just typical sick and not taking care of herself. Why did she need an IV? I don't start IVs just because "the hospital will probably start one later". If they want one, they can do one themselves. Oh and have you ever wondered why we carry sterile water on the ambulance? It's also for drinking...