Fire Explorer on Applications

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Hello,
I just recently got certified in San Diego county as an EMT-B, and i'm looking for work. But I ran into a question, I was a Fire Explorer for the better part of year and was wondering if its a good resume builder for a BLS job.

Here is how I see it is the positives of putting it down is it shows my determination, I learned discipline, how to clean (VERY WELL!!), and how to dress professionally.

But the negative thing I keep coming back to is that they might see it as i'm just using there company to get my required hours for Paramedic school, and then go onto Fire.

So what does everyone think, should I put it down or leave it off?

JPINFV

Gadfly
But the negative thing I keep coming back to is that they might see it as i'm just using there company to get my required hours for Paramedic school, and then go onto Fire.

If that's a negative, then probably 1/4+ of the EMTs in So. Cal. that are employed wouldn't be employed.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Ok

Thank you, this was just a question me and my dad were trying to figure out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was an fire explorer for 5 years. I put it on all my applications never had any problem. It actually helped me get hired at my current company. During my interview I told them I planned on going into fire and I still got hired.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Ok, thats good to hear. I just put in an APP and put it on there.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Every single private service in SD County knows your are only going to be with them for an average of 2 years. People work for them full time, get into Medic school and then go to Part time, then once they graduate they leave to go work as a Medic if they do not currently work for a service that does 911. I think they prefer you have some sort of Public service experience over some one who does not.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Ok, yea I will defiantly now put it down on all my Applications.

LAKings

Forum Probie
If you got good medical experience as an explorer i'd say list it. And you dont have to mention that you eventually want to work for a fire department, unless they ask you.

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
If it was more then a year I would say use it as it shows dedication. Under a year, not so much. If you are still in it then use it. Every young EMT has a hard-on for fire service and employers know that.

mike1390

Forum Captain
It hurt me on a medic interview, cause the company was looking for lifers who didnt wanna go fire. just FYI

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
It hurt me on a medic interview, cause the company was looking for lifers who didnt wanna go fire. just FYI

So if you're applying for a company, in say Kern County(just guessing:p) where there is little to no ALS fire, don't put it down, in most other places in SoCal, it shouldn't be an issue.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Put it on there. You're young. It's better than nothing at all.