FDNY EMS Candidates

Cmushlit

Forum Probie
Do I have to report if I plan to get another job while in the academy.

At estimate what does our first check look like. They keep saying we will be depressed. We started on a pay week so it should cover 2 weeks right?

It’s 2 weeks but it’s not as bad as they seem to make it. Unless you were making over 1k a week then it will be a bit of a shock.

Valley42

Forum Crew Member
What is intake?
It’s the intake/interview when you meet your investigator . After you take your Physical Agility test you get an envelope with a bunch of paper work for background investigation. They call you for a date to go for the “intake/interview “ and you bring all your paperwork and whatever else they requested of you.

Jesus935

Forum Crew Member
It’s the intake/interview when you meet your investigator . After you take your Physical Agility test you get an envelope with a bunch of paper work for background investigation. They call you for a date to go for the “intake/interview “ and you bring all your paperwork and whatever else they requested of you.
Ohh lol. Good luck. You got this. It's not hard. It's just 1 hour then you're done.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Don't know how accurate this is, what I heard today all over BOT. the FDNY EMS UNION finally got their way and the next incoming EMT class in Feb will be the last to be able to take the Fire promo. as they will be ending it.
Fire will be a total separate process and no longer EMS promo into fire.
This is what was being talked about all day today.

scu1993

Forum Ride Along
Don't know how accurate this is, what I heard today all over BOT. the FDNY EMS UNION finally got their way and the next incoming EMT class in Feb will be the last to be able to take the Fire promo. as they will be ending it.
Fire will be a total separate process and no longer EMS promo into fire.
This is what was being talked about all day today.
So could that mean they'll be offering the promo exam earlier then 4 years?

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
This has been a rumor for many years and almost every year you hear about how they are getting rid of it but it always ends up being a false rumor. I don’t think they will ever get rid of it. It brings in too much diversity into fire.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
This has been a rumor for many years and almost every year you hear about how they are getting rid of it but it always ends up being a false rumor. I don’t think they will ever get rid of it. It brings in too much diversity into fire.

who knows ? this apparently came from Union reps who were there yesterday. that yes, has been rumored but finally has come to fruition. We will see. if true that sucks for the guys who want fire.
From what I heard yesterday they want EMS to have salary entitlement without having to go to Fire.
Remember I was "That Fly on the wall" listening in. We'll see what comes out from DCAS.

fdnyemt1

Forum Lieutenant
Wouldn’t they have to let the people who already applied and are going through the process have the ability since it was a part of the job when we applied?

Woodenspoon

Forum Probie
I had a paragraph written but then I deleted it.

I'm going to just leave this PUBLIC INFORMATION here. Objective 2.3 on Page 22 (Page # on the document itself) would probably be of you're best interest. You can decide what rumors you do or do not want to believe for yourself...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/ofc/FDNY_strategic_plan_2015_2017.pdf

If you are planning on Promoting to Firefighter via EMS, continue to follow you're dreams on the path you are going. You will learn this very fast on EMS....Do not believe anything you hear until there are official orders on official department letterhead. Everything else is simply a rumor.

Last edited:

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
who knows ? this apparently came from Union reps who were there yesterday. that yes, has been rumored but finally has come to fruition. We will see. if true that sucks for the guys who want fire.
From what I heard yesterday they want EMS to have salary entitlement without having to go to Fire.
Remember I was "That Fly on the wall" listening in. We'll see what comes out from DCAS.

Yea I know what you mean. Hopefully it’s just a rumor and not the case for those looking to go fire.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Wouldn’t they have to let the people who already applied and are going through the process have the ability since it was a part of the job when we applied?

I would think so, I am just as confused at what I was hearing. As I heard that this was on ongoing issue. I was just there as they were talking. So only way to really know is to see what happens in a few months. Hope for those that are looking for Fire this is all that it is. But would find it strange that Union Rep and a couple of Lts speaking about it here at BOT make up a rumor.