FDNY EMS Candidates

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
What were the main reasons you lost 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly academic i believe. My tour lost 2 one decided it wasnt for him and the other need surgery

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
Just to confirm..the last reached for this class was 1100 on 6003? That's what I can remember from past pages

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
Just to confirm..the last reached for this class was 1100 on 6003? That's what I can remember from past pages

Yeh it jumps around a bit, but I was 11xx... also was told by one of the LT's we can sign up for the open competitive for paramedic in July. Apparently DCAS is changing things up, not sure how it works but was told we'd be allowed to sign up for exam even without medic license

Patel92

Forum Crew Member
After having done your CPAP, Intake, Medical, and Psych, what would be the next step? Awaiting the big phone call?

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
After having done your CPAP, Intake, Medical, and Psych, what would be the next step? Awaiting the big phone call?

Yeh if I remember correctly that's everything, some wait longer than others but gotta stay out of trouble. Also the less you hear from your inspector the better.

graycord

Forum Crew Member
The DCAS exam list is out for the next 12 months and it really looks like there will again be no intake for outside medics?
I don't get it.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
The DCAS exam list is out for the next 12 months and it really looks like there will again be no intake for outside medics?
I don't get it.
You have to go in as an emt b from my understanding. They are hiring medics from within and not outsourcing it

graycord

Forum Crew Member
You have to go in as an emt b from my understanding. They are hiring medics from within and not outsourcing it

But it is not really outsourcing, otherwise they would not require people to already be emts to go in as emts.
This sudden policy change is really strange and something fishy is going on.
There is probably some kind of financial aspect to this for it to make any sense.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
But it is not really outsourcing, otherwise they would not require people to already be emts to go in as emts.
This sudden policy change is really strange and something fishy is going on.
There is probably some kind of financial aspect to this for it to make any sense.
They are wanting the emts to promote up to medics. So they are hiring from the inside . The emts tgat are on the job are already trained how everyone is in thr field. Makes plenty of sense

Emttttt

Forum Probie
They are wanting the emts to promote up to medics. So they are hiring from the inside . The emts tgat are on the job are already trained how everyone is in thr field. Makes plenty of sense

To add onto to this, a lot of FDNY EMTs want the upgrade, so getting the bodies is not a problem. Also they don't have to retrain in operations and evoc which takes up most of the academy. Also upgrades are locked in contractually.

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member

I think it's more for incentive to keep people on the ems side instead of switching over to fire. Also heard they were starting to recruit people without emt licenses. But it's not really FDNY it's DCAS changing it

NycEmt7

Forum Crew Member
I was just thinking... if any of you awaiting the PAT (like myself) live in the city , and ever want to start a small little workout group to help each other prepare. I'm all in. Anything to get us one step closer :)

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant

While I certainly agree with you about them knowing the field and operations end, medic basic (the emt to medic upgrade class) is 9 months long. Coming into the department as a medic, (ptop, or the new name- pps) is only 3 months. Gets medics on the street a hell of a lot quicker, and trust me, we need it right now.

bigtimecards

Forum Probie
Does anyone have any experience with metal in their bodies and if FDNY prefers you get it out or leave it in? I broke my ankle last summer but can get the metal out now. I've heard stories of both sides so im not sure what to do. Thanks in advance