Family of slain EMT seeks $10 million

reaper

Working Bum
I am really surprised that those in EMS are criticizing? Seriously, why should an officer or firefighter receive monies if we cannot as well? All were doing their job, except the Paramedic family will not be compensated.. Is that fair? Every LEO and Firefighter knows the risks alike those in EMS. We perform as much risks and endangerment only we do not get the credit or benefits if something goes wrong.

He was shot & killed in the line of duty. Pay up. If the area would take care of their own, then they would not have to sue. I hope they get every penny, maybe things will change. The family deserves it. Was he worth $10 million ? Sure that is a dream figure to bargain with.

How much life insurance policy do you have at work? Yeah.. before spouting off put up. I know mine is $35,000 and I all can get is an additional $35,000 I pay for .. wow $70,000 almost a years salary. This is much more than most EMS services around. Now figure funeral expense will be the least $12,000 were now down to $58,000 not including medical expenditures and other costs such as attorney fees, probate fees and court costs is another $3-5,000. So now, we are down to about $50,000 How long can your family live on the one income or like mine .. the sole income. Yeah, it wouldn't last long. Now compare this to other workers such as LEO and Firefighters... and they still asks for donations on t.v. when an occurrence happens.

R/r 911

Actually my life insurance is very good. I recieve $80k for free, through work. I then have an additional $200k, that was purchased pretty cheap through work.

I agree that we should have LODD compensation, but not 10 million worth!

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hope they get every penny, maybe things will change.

Yeah, let's bankrupt the EMS agency he worked with. That'll sure bring around positive changes and make things better.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
He was shot & killed in the line of duty. Pay up. If the area would take care of their own, then they would not have to sue. I hope they get every penny, maybe things will change. The family deserves it. Was he worth $10 million ? Sure that is a dream figure to bargain with.

Does this apply to everyone shot and killed in the line of duty?

You know where I am going with this don't you? Places like Iraq and Afghanistan. How many families of those killed would have the balls to ask for compensation to the tune of $10,000,000 for their loss.

I will say again, where is the justification in seeking out even a fraction of that figure? Was the young man who was killed already a multi-millionaire with an extravagant lifestyle and family to support? Is this figure consistent with what he could have realistically have hoped to have earned in his lifetime? What is it with people who can sell out their feelings for their loved ones for excessive monetary gain? As I said, his family fully deserve to be compensated accordingly per the policies already in place under his name.

I know what you are getting at with putting compensation in line with other professions - as a whole, but throwing obscene amounts of money at people is not the answer to making EMS a "credible" profession. As you have said many times, it is down to more education.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Rid, I did not say he doesn't deserve LODD benefits. My comment was strictly in response to the suggestion that suing for money was a way for the family to be taken care of. Yes it is, but with some forethought life insurance does that too. People are not restricted to only the life insurance their work offers, you can purchase it privately also. Where I work I can purchase twice my annual salary pretty easily. I believe you can purchase up to 10 times your annual salary as the maximum.

No, Life Insurance isn't going to take care of a family indefinitely, but I don't think it should either. It's not supposed to be a band aid that you can slap on the situation so things can keep going exactaly as they were. People need to accept that when someone dies, things are going to change. Life insurance can make that easier by paying for funeral expenses, and buying some time while the family sorts out their options.

Yes it's unfair that Fire and Police, which are similar professions have extensive LODD benefits but that is not what my comment was in regards to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Just to add, I just checked my benefits and for Life insurance I receive twice my annual salary free thorough work, and I purchased an additional $30,000 for about a dollar a pay period. I also have up to twice my annual salary in Accidental Death and Permanent Disability insurance free through my employer, and I could have chosen more if so inclined.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, let's bankrupt the EMS agency he worked with. That'll sure bring around positive changes and make things better.

If $10 million bankrupts them from their insurance reserve, then they need better management as it is already appearant. One always aims for the stars and if they hit the moon... You can always go lower but to ask higher?

Just to add, I just checked my benefits and for Life insurance I receive twice my annual salary free thorough work, and I purchased an additional $30,000 for about a dollar a pay period. I also have up to twice my annual salary in Accidental Death and Permanent Disability insurance free through my employer, and I could have chosen more if so inclined.

Your lucky! Most EMS services do not offer such an amount. Hence part of the problem. My main point is hopefully, this will awaken city, county, State administrators that EMS should be counted as a provider and if tragedy occurs they should be entitled to the same benefits as other first responders in which cases most assume but EMS is not and it is not fair.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Rid,

Take a look at this link. It lists EMS as eligible for the benefits?

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/grant/psob/psob_death.html

Problem alies is most EMT's are not sanctioned or defined as a "public safety officers". It is true if they were FD and in an ambulance (primary employment of being a Fire Service). Hence part of the problem with retirement issues as well as most states have an insurance and retirement plan for those that are defined under the guidelines.

I can assure you as far as I know; we investigated this thoroughly and would not have passed a bill to increase our license fee for a mere $5 grand. I had thought it covered originally too; but was informed differently after an application was denied in reference to a medic being killed on a response.

I do wish it was more specific to place .. "and at the time those that were directly involved with rescue and medical care".. so all would be covered. This would clarify and definitely involve us in EMS.

Thanks for the info though.. I will try to investigate more. Maybe something we can change or clarify as a group.

R/r 911

Aidey

Your lucky! Most EMS services do not offer such an amount. Hence part of the problem. My main point is hopefully, this will awaken city, county, State administrators that EMS should be counted as a provider and if tragedy occurs they should be entitled to the same benefits as other first responders in which cases most assume but EMS is not and it is not fair.

R/r 911

My lucky what? (Sorry Rid, I had to :p)

Anyway, I have no idea if we have the benefits we have because of our union, or because of the company itself is actually that generous. I would have to compare with someone working for the same company in a different state to find out.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Perhaps they had a policy that prevented this EMT from having what was needed to defend himself? Perhaps they were way to often required to enter known dangerous situations w/o anyone or anything to dend themselves with? Maybe the family wants EMS to be able to defend themselves and hopes this will lead to that?

How old was this EMT? What could he be expected to earn at his real job rather than this hobby? His family should have the right to recoup lost income as should all of our familys if we die either paid or hobby.

As to life insurance if you are the sole provider for your family I suggest you have enough to pay off all debt plus 10 years of salary and if kids enough to cover college for the kids. If you are under 30 you can get a million dollar policy for around $20 a month and higher amounts are not much more. Look at selectqoute, intelliqoute, reliaqoute or other to compare rates.

Paid or hobby don't leave your family in the lurch if you die doing EMS or any thing else.

reaper

Working Bum
Perhaps they had a policy that prevented this EMT from having what was needed to defend himself? Perhaps they were way to often required to enter known dangerous situations w/o anyone or anything to dend themselves with? Maybe the family wants EMS to be able to defend themselves and hopes this will lead to that? Or perhaps he let a psych pt out of his sight???
How old was this EMT? What could he be expected to earn at his real job rather than this hobby? His family should have the right to recoup lost income as should all of our familys if we die either paid or hobby.

As to life insurance if you are the sole provider for your family I suggest you have enough to pay off all debt plus 10 years of salary and if kids enough to cover college for the kids. If you are under 30 you can get a million dollar policy for around $20 a month and higher amounts are not much more. Look at selectqoute, intelliqoute, reliaqoute or other to compare rates. I have had Life insurance since I was 25. There is no where that you will get a million dollar policy for $20 a month! More like $120 a month and some people can't afford that!
Paid or hobby don't leave your family in the lurch if you die doing EMS or any thing else.

My life insurance is not there to support my family forever. It is there to help them get by, until they can make it on their own and pay for college.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My life insurance is not there to support my family forever. It is there to help them get by, until they can make it on their own and pay for college.

I have a million plus and costs me me about $35 a month from a highly rated company, picked up about 3 years ago and I'm an old fart. So you either have major health or other risks or you have not used sources such as I listed.

reaper

Working Bum
I have researched it over the years. I have found two companies that it was that cheap. Both have very bad reps of fighting tooth and nail to not pay off. Both companies I have personally seen not pay off on two fellow workers policies.

If you found a good one, that would be great. I just hope your family gets the benefit of it's use. I continue to look for good policies all the time.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have researched it over the years. I have found two companies that it was that cheap. Both have very bad reps of fighting tooth and nail to not pay off. Both companies I have personally seen not pay off on two fellow workers policies.

If you found a good one, that would be great. I just hope your family gets the benefit of it's use. I continue to look for good policies all the time.

Try http://www.selectquote.com/home9/jsp/term-life-insurance.html and you will see low rates with highly respected companys unless you smoke, are old, have heart/lung condition, or obese. The company I am with is one of the most reputable insurance companys in the USA.

Now perhaps you are talking about a whole life policy that builds cash value over time vs term life that only pays upon death for full value? Big difference in monthly payments. I went term as I make more off individual investments vs what I would make with whole life cash value so makes more sense for me to just get term and invest separately the difference in cost.

http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-finance/insurance/term-or-whole-life-8011/

medic417

The Truth Provider
It sickens me that so many gripe about this family of EMT that gave his life to helping people trying to get what they need to take care of themselves.

reaper

Working Bum
It sickens me that so many gripe about this family of EMT that gave his life to helping people trying to get what they need to take care of themselves.

Why? We are not griping about him or his duties. We are griping about a family trying to get rich off his death. Suing people that had no control of what happened. That is the sorry excuse that people use to make money!:unsure:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why? We are not griping about him or his duties. We are griping about a family trying to get rich off his death. Suing people that had no control of what happened. That is the sorry excuse that people use to make money!:unsure:

Getting rich, I think not. A lawsuit for 10 million will end up settled for maybe a million. Deduct lawyers and other expenses end up with $500,000 maybe. Not much for losing you life doing for your community. It's the least the community could do for him and his family since they asked so much of him as a volunteer and gave nothing in return.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I have just noticed some smallprint on the back of my volly ID card which mentions the Volunteer Ambulance Workers Benefit Law, as well as my Policy Number.

Assuming this is a State-wide requirement of the volly agencies, as well as the benefits of LOSAP in the event of an LODD, it's not like the family are being left with nothing.

Sorry, but the whole lawsuit thing smells of Annanicholism to me.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I have just noticed some smallprint on the back of my volly ID card which mentions the Volunteer Ambulance Workers Benefit Law, as well as my Policy Number.

Assuming this is a State-wide requirement of the volly agencies, as well as the benefits of LOSAP in the event of an LODD, it's not like the family are being left with nothing.

Sorry, but the whole lawsuit thing smells of Annanicholism to me.

Many states have similar laws for volunteers. In California volunteer firefighters and SAR guys are signed up for the "Disaster Relief Workers Compensation Fund". It has ben used by members of my team from time to time for treatments for things ranging from losing two front teeth on a rope rescue to geting poison oak. It also covers death, I just don't know how much my or yours or thise guys state covers him for. 1o mil is still too much and that's why the posters of this thread are split. If they had asked for 50,000 or 100,000 and were refused we would probably all be on board.

The question for me is, would this brave man want his family to be taking to court the agency he loved so much so as to volunteer to risked it all?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Many states have similar laws for volunteers. In California volunteer firefighters and SAR guys are signed up for the "Disaster Relief Workers Compensation Fund". It has ben used by members of my team from time to time for treatments for things ranging from losing two front teeth on a rope rescue to geting poison oak. It also covers death, I just don't know how much my or yours or thise guys state covers him for. 1o mil is still too much and that's why the posters of this thread are split. If they had asked for 50,000 or 100,000 and were refused we would probably all be on board.

The question for me is, would this brave man want his family to be taking to court the agency he loved so much so as to volunteer to risked it all?

Holy crap you cost me my family and their income and expect me to bury them and try and survive w/o their income on 50,000 - 100,000. :wacko:

I would hope an agency would have the decency if they want me to work for free to at least provide for my family if I die. Honestly the family should have been approached and offered money w/o them needing to get a lawyer. Plus do we know whether this service and community had a history of expecting the EMT's to go into potentially dangerous situations w/o LE support?

Yes I would expect my family to get paid for my death and if it was not offered then I would expect them to sue to get it.