Falck - or the 900-pound gorilla no one is aware of

Drax

Forum Captain
You seem pretty bitter about Falck for some reason. Just my opinion though.

No reason to be bitter. I think the company, as a whole, is a very well run business.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's the common consensus that this is why Falck was chosen and why some council members believe Falck was chosen (monetary reasons).

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "loss" for RM or AMR. Aurora isn't a pleasant work environment.
It is a huge loss for RM without a doubt. Sure, Aurora FD is terrible to their ambulance contractor and as far as I am concerned one of worst FD EMS operations in the nation. But financially this is a big deal for R/M, especially since this is yet another huge contract that they have lost in the last three years.

I would not be surprised to see R/M leave Colorado after this. They were already in such poor straights the last time Colorado Springs went to bid that they didn't submit a proposal.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
It is a huge loss for RM without a doubt. Sure, Aurora FD is terrible to their ambulance contractor and as far as I am concerned one of worst FD EMS operations in the nation. But financially this is a big deal for R/M, especially since this is yet another huge contract that they have lost in the last three years.

I would not be surprised to see R/M leave Colorado after this. They were already in such poor straights the last time Colorado Springs went to bid that they didn't submit a proposal.
RM has been a sinking ship for awhile.

I don't think they really thought they were going to get it.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well Falck NW takes over Salem today. Wonder how that is going.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
No worries, Falck NW specifically got the Salem contract like was mentioned earlier, which I can assure you is primarily former R/M management. I'm not sure which of Falck's branches is doing it's dealings with Aurora. Either way though, you might notice Falck chasing after contracts that R/M holds or is fighting to keep, which might be indicative of their agenda.

True. The Falck NW general manager left strait from RM. The guy I've been told has a reputation for promising all sorts of crazy things to get business and not following through. The CEO of Falck US was fired from RM and brought Falck to the NW it seems to carry out a vendetta on RM. Falck also supposedly owns a large share of RM.. . So who knows what the heck is going on. Both companies are kind of the worst in my opinion haha.

ORMedic

Forum Ride Along
Well Falck NW takes over Salem today. Wonder how that is going.

Great!
Positive, encouraging management, new vehicles & equipment.
Mike Collins, CEO of Falck NW & Central US was out there next to the employees, washing vehicles, toting boxes, etc.
There's been very few issues so far. The whole process has been smooth & efficient for the most part.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I heard a rumor that you guys are negotiating a union contract. How is that going? Management receptive to that?

ORMedic

Forum Ride Along
Yes, we are negotiating our first contract. It's actually going pretty well! Please understand we can't say too much right now.

Pmedic2017

Forum Ride Along
I completed all 500 hours of internship with Falck R. M. Here are some observations. AFD medics rode in maybe 20 % of the time. The rest of the time, I completed the secondary assessment, serial vitals, and medication administration. Sure there are a few "tools" in the fire service, but that is to be expected anywhere. Most of the time though, if you are a medic with Falck R.M, you will get more experience and run more calls than anywhere else in Colorado. In addition, if you can think on a global scale, the opportunities are endless. I speak, Spanish, Norwegian and English. I am hoping to work in Aurora and then hopefully in Norway or Sweden. (The language is similar) Ha de bra.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I completed all 500 hours of internship with Falck R. M. Here are some observations. AFD medics rode in maybe 20 % of the time. The rest of the time, I completed the secondary assessment, serial vitals, and medication administration. Sure there are a few "tools" in the fire service, but that is to be expected anywhere. Most of the time though, if you are a medic with Falck R.M, you will get more experience and run more calls than anywhere else in Colorado. In addition, if you can think on a global scale, the opportunities are endless. I speak, Spanish, Norwegian and English. I am hoping to work in Aurora and then hopefully in Norway or Sweden. (The language is similar) Ha de bra.
How are the guidelines? Denver Metroy? Are their medics still allowed to practice up to their licensure level? I applied to RM four years ago and was told paramedics could do not paramedic things unless AFD rode in. Also AFD could not intubate at that time.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
How are the guidelines? Denver Metroy? Are their medics still allowed to practice up to their licensure level? I applied to RM four years ago and was told paramedics could do not paramedic things unless AFD rode in. Also AFD could not intubate at that time.

I was talking to a falck medic in the psl lounge last week....apparently intubation is still off the table, they use igel for everything...and AFD still rules all.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
if you are a medic with Falck R.M, you will get more experience and run more calls than anywhere else in Colorado.

That's the first time I have ever heard someone say that in a serious manner. Ever.

Attachments

• Wat_png_by_katysz_by_katysz-d6j542d.png
    Wat_png_by_katysz_by_katysz-d6j542d.png
    390.1 KB · Views: 165

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's the first time I have ever heard someone say that in a serious manner. Ever.
Yea. I mean at least in COS we have some pretty decent guidelines and while fire might be legally entitled to the scene, that is rarely thrown about. Business is meaningless if your care is subpar.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain

I'm glad you had a good experience there. It's pretty drastically different from that of other people I know.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
I was talking to a falck medic in the psl lounge last week....apparently intubation is still off the table, they use igel for everything...and AFD still rules all.

can someone elaborate about this? I am scheduled to test with AFD. TBH i applied on a whim trying to get out of Cali. I was hoping to get a better scope but now i'm hearing that may not be the case. I just recently browsed that aurora has modified protocols than the rest of denver?? Whats its like being a medic in the operating area of AFD, for AFD or falck?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
can someone elaborate about this? I am scheduled to test with AFD. TBH i applied on a whim trying to get out of Cali. I was hoping to get a better scope but now i'm hearing that may not be the case. I just recently browsed that aurora has modified protocols than the rest of denver?? Whats its like being a medic in the operating area of AFD, for AFD or falck?
From what I know from friends (both on afd and on falck) you have very limited protocols. You won't be intubating anyone, and a lot of interventions are call ins. AFD has medical control, but they often hand it over to falck unless it's a call they are interested in running.

If you want the 100% honest truth, they are notorious among first responders in the Denver metro area as having very poor medicine. They used to have liberal protocols, but have lost those privledges over the years due to overall poor medicine.

From my understanding, if being a (decent) medic is important to you - you probably won't like aurora. If you are only interested in being a firefighter and don't care about the EMS aspect- it probably won't bother you as much.

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
From what I know from friends (both on afd and on falck) you have very limited protocols. You won't be intubating anyone, and a lot of interventions are call ins. AFD has medical control, but they often hand it over to falck unless it's a call they are interested in running.

If you want the 100% honest truth, they are notorious among first responders in the Denver metro area as having very poor medicine. They used to have liberal protocols, but have lost those privledges over the years due to overall poor medicine.

From my understanding, if being a (decent) medic is important to you - you probably won't like aurora. If you are only interested in being a firefighter and don't care about the EMS aspect- it probably won't bother you as much.

Yikes! I don't like to hear this. I just took a job with Falk. Mainly because I just moved here and didn't have anything else on the table. Hopefully something better comes up soon.