everything bag

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
In addition to all my standard equipment (pens, stethoscope, shears, etc.) I usually bring the following:

-sleeping bag, pillow
-a separate bag for food (enough for at least 4 meals), lots of snacks
-cooler
-extra uniform, socks, underwear, etc.
-toiletry bag (toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, etc.)
-another bag for books, laptop, phone/computer chargers
-Xbox (depending who my partner is)
-other miscellaneous items depending on what I think I might need

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
This drastically varies depending on the length of my shift.

Every shift

Small duffel that has:
Extra gloves & pocket mask (in case i ever respond from home and beat the rig)
Flashlight with holster
n95
A couple bottles of water
A ziploc of assorted dry snacks
General hygiene items I might need if I don't make it back to a station for hours.
Baggie of OTC meds for headaches, GI and allergies.
Hi viz vest if it's not on my jacket
Zip folder to hold my paperwork between calls
Anything else I think I might need

For 36 hour shifts

Small suitcase that holds:
extra uniform and underwear/socks as well as a shirt with sleeves or tshirt (whichever i'm not wearing) when the temperature is really back and forth.
Shower bag with toiletries

Any overnight shift:
I keep a sleeping bag and a pillow in my truck. This alleviates the sleeping on nasty sheets or surfaces that other people sleep on without something between me and I'm always warm.

Sometimes I take my backpack with my laptop and other entertainment. This really make me look like I'm moving in!

Like everybody else said you'll come up with a system that works for you. Just start with a small bag and put things you think you'll need in it and then add/remove after you've worked a few shifts and found things you need or didn't work for you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were listing everything we brought with us to a shift. in that case my list is:

two sets of turnout gear (one with agency name sewn on, one without), $300 pair of boots, Litmann Cardiology Scope, bat belt with radio holster, trauma shears, bandage sheers, glove pouch, 6 pairs of black socks, 2 pairs of puncture resistant gloves, yellow safety glasses for night time, smoke safety glasses for days, clear safety glasses for every other time, a CPR mask, remote microphone for radio, one boot knife, one sheath knife, one leatherman knife, reflective traffic vest, reflective winter coat, tactical winter coat and lastly, the most important item, winter hat & gloves and summer baseball hat.

oh yeah, and an umbrella, never go anywhere without an umbrella.

well, that and never go anywhere without your towel.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I bring myself
Shears
Sharpies/Pens
Snacks
Water
Book

Yea that's about it. Oh gum, definitely gum.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I bring myself
Shears
Sharpies/Pens
Snacks
Water
Book

Yea that's about it. Oh gum, definitely gum.

+1 on the gum, its a must. By the end of a shift I've usually got some serious yuckmouth.

Another must have for me is Immodium. Can't do my job properly with bubble guts!

DrParasite

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
Saw Towel listed somewhere in the thread... going to recommend a Micro Fiber over any other.. saves space, drys quickly, and inexpensive... great addition to any "Go Bag"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were listing everything we brought with us to a shift. in that case my list is:

two sets of turnout gear (one with agency name sewn on, one without), $300 pair of boots, Litmann Cardiology Scope, bat belt with radio holster, trauma shears, bandage sheers, glove pouch, 6 pairs of black socks, 2 pairs of puncture resistant gloves, yellow safety glasses for night time, smoke safety glasses for days, clear safety glasses for every other time, a CPR mask, remote microphone for radio, one boot knife, one sheath knife, one leatherman knife, reflective traffic vest, reflective winter coat, tactical winter coat and lastly, the most important item, winter hat & gloves and summer baseball hat.

oh yeah, and an umbrella, never go anywhere without an umbrella.

well, that and never go anywhere without your towel.

Just curious but why two pairs of turnout gear?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I try to bring my lunch and snacks everyday so I have my cooler.

Then I have a bag with my own steth, shears, penlight, mini-mag, extra notepads, an N95, and my "notebook of EMT notes." For my own well-being I've got a book, iPhone charger, headphones, large sunglasses suitable for undercover napping, a small personal med kit, a leatherman, service baseball hat, winter coat, gums, mint, and a nalgene.

For nights I bring a small pillow since we have to post. I just take linen from the truck for sleeping.

DrParasite

Just curious but why two pairs of turnout gear?
most of that was mean to be tongue in cheek (hence the towel reference, which n7lxi got).

actually, there was a FF where I used to go to school that did have two sets of gear in his car. The first was his agency issued gear, with XYZ FD sewn on the back of it. The second was his personal gear, with no lettering on it, that he used when he would take calls with the neighboring department or any department other than his own.

I do, however, have 2 helmets (well, i actually own 4 helmets, but only keep 2 in my car) for pretty much the same reason. One is my personal helmet that stays in my EMS bag which is always with me in the cab of the ambulance, along with the reflective coat and safety glasses, and the other is my agency issued helmet with agency stickers, which is kept in my turnout gear bag with the rest of my rescue gear. My agency issued equipment can only be used when I am on the ambulance or Heavy Rescue of that agency, while my personal gear is used whenever I want (special operations details at my FT job, or when I was on the ambulance at my former PT jobs).

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Now i feel like a loser with 4 sets of turnout gear. My home volunteer squad, my paid EMS gig, My county set, and my NJ EMS Task Force set

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
most of that was mean to be tongue in cheek (hence the towel reference, which n7lxi got).

actually, there was a FF where I used to go to school that did have two sets of gear in his car. The first was his agency issued gear, with XYZ FD sewn on the back of it. The second was his personal gear, with no lettering on it, that he used when he would take calls with the neighboring department or any department other than his own.

I do, however, have 2 helmets (well, i actually own 4 helmets, but only keep 2 in my car) for pretty much the same reason. One is my personal helmet that stays in my EMS bag which is always with me in the cab of the ambulance, along with the reflective coat and safety glasses, and the other is my agency issued helmet with agency stickers, which is kept in my turnout gear bag with the rest of my rescue gear. My agency issued equipment can only be used when I am on the ambulance or Heavy Rescue of that agency, while my personal gear is used whenever I want (special operations details at my FT job, or when I was on the ambulance at my former PT jobs).

Oops. :blush: I guess the more worrying part is that I work with some people that do bring that kind of stuff to work in a giant duffel.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Since I got my iPhone I bring my duffle with pt clothes and changes of uniforms, toiletry bag, bedroll, and phone charger. I can stream pandora while bouncing from my kindle app to Facebook. I have never been bored yet.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere