Ever get mistaken for a police officer

Have you ever been mistaken for a police officer.

• Yes

Votes: 49 73.1%
  • no

Votes: 18 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Have youe ever been mistaken for the police when dressed in class a or class b. I have been misten for one.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I Have a few times, Mainly from little kids though. Lol, Then the parents correct them and say "No Sonny/Girl, Hes a doctor on wheels!"

That makes me laugh

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
All the time - police officer, security, fire department, meter maid, you name it.... although it is nice sometimes because cops get way more discounts for food than we do ;)
People tend not to be too aware of obvious indicators like the lack of a gun belt, and the presence of trauma shears, a big patch that has a caduceus and says "EMS", and the big ambulance I drive up in

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Mall security, at least once a week. "Excuse me, m'am, where can I get a stroller?" *punch in the throat*

LOL, just remembered, a classmate said she was standing outside having a smoke a while ago, and this pretty clean-cut-looking dude walks by and mutters under his breath "Fking pigs, why do you always have to be everywhere I go." She was like, alriiiiiiiighty.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've gotten park ranger several times also. Not surprising, however, for SAR.

The worst was "are you a boy scout?" :glare: but they were just trying to push my buttons. I was doing bike EMS on the 4th of July and a bunch of stupid preteens who didn't appreciate me preventing them from crossing a fireworks perimeter realized I wasn't a cop.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Back when my area was the murder capitol of the country and the big riots were happening, we wore jumpsuits with a big reflective Star of Life on the back. However, it essentially gave us a very insecure feeling of having a target to aim at for those that wanted to shoot. The Star of Life was also the part of our ambulances that had the most bullet holes.

The T-shirts with PARAMEDIC and EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN in big letters front and back were welcomed during that time. I guess I could count riots as a "special event" for the sake of the other thread.

NJN

The Young One
Of course cop, FF, but the weirdest one was being mistaken for ICE.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Aren't you with an explorer post? :)

It has happened occasionally.

Nope. The SAR team is the only youth-led unit in the nation, but it's completely independent and operates in the same capacity as every other adult-led team. And I'm 18 (still young, I know): I've stuck around to help with instruction and training, mainly. I see where you're coming from, though. The comment wouldn't be surprising at all if I was with a bunch of the youngins, but I was actually alone at the time because my partner was grabbing a cop to help with the situation. I don't know; maybe there ARE 18 year old female boy scouts out there. Or maybe I just look like a boy :(

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I was picking up a pizza for my family after a shift yesterday, and I forgot to take off my pack and stethoscope. A little girl asked me if I was a doctor.

But my uniform is a pair of BDUs, a polo, and a fleece pullover. We don't look very cop-like. We are very much a "function over form" agency.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Can't say that I ever have. Of course, the only time it might happen would be if I were in class As. My class B shirt is light blue, and my duty wear is either polo shirts or the "evil" t-shirt. Since we only wear our class As for ceremonial events, it just isn't something that happens.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not a LEO.

BUT.

I was working with a partner who needed to look at house decorating stuff so we went to K-Mart while we were holding the local hospital, and some lady came up and asked him where to find the spatulas.

So... Cop? No. K-Mart Worker? Apparently...

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Yea it happened once. I was an explorer FF and was taking my MFR class in Indio. They happened to have a carnival going on at the same time right around the corner so a group of us went over to check it out on our lunch break. A couple of guys came up to us and were like "hey officer's how do you get to such and such street?" We said we were explorer fire fighters and didn't live in the area and they were like well you look like cops and they walked away.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Vent,

You must be talking about 89' ?

1989 wasn't much fun either.

1980 with Liberty City and the Mariel Boatlift was worse.

The Conch Republic uprising at the "border" in 1982 was also a T-Shirt type of event.

1992 was also a year for tension and then Andrew came along.

No, I don't care to be mistaken for a Police Officer when I've got a medical job to do and safety is an issue.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't know; maybe there ARE 18 year old female boy scouts out there. Or maybe I just look like a boy :(

Actually the venture, explorer, and varsity programs ran through the Boy Scouts of America are mixed gender.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually the venture, explorer, and varsity programs ran through the Boy Scouts of America are mixed gender.

Very true. But aren't they more likely to call themselves "venturers" or "explorers"?

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Very true. But aren't they more likely to call themselves "venturers" or "explorers"?

Yes. My fire explorer program was run through boy scouts of america but we just called ourselves explorers.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I got it the other day.

Went into Pac Sun for some new jeans (aparantly, 3 pairs just aint enough), and had a call right in the middle of shopping. I gave my stuff to the girl behind the counter, took the job, and the 3 that followed, before I came back. The next cashier said, "Oh, you must the the Police Officer that was in here earlier". :rolleyes::glare:

Yes. All LEOs now carry PINK shears in their off hand hip. :glare: