Equivalence salts

Thomas239

Forum Ride Along
Hello, do you know the equivalence of the differents salts of this molecule :

10 mg Tranylcypromine sulfate Molecular Weight : 364.46 g/mol
10 mg Tranylcypromine hydrochloride Molecular weight :169.65 g/mol

10 mg Tranylcypromine hydrochloride will have 2.14 times more tranylcypromine than 10 mg Tranylcypromine sulfate.
Is it correct?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
qqa7ok.jpg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So my chemistry is a little rusty...and organic chem is even rustier... But assuming you have two molecules, both are composed of Tranylcypromine and a second molecule, and you are comparing their concentrations (in grams per mol), than you would be correct, provided the second half of the molecule (sulfate vs hydrocloride) are equal in weight, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

Since they have the same 10mg dose, but different concentrations, if you assume the second half do not factor into your equation, than yes, you would have 2.14 times as much Tranylcypromine in Tranylcypromine hydrochloride than in Tranylcypromine sulfate, because the lower the g/mol, the more chemical you have per gram.

Don't forget, Tranylcypromine itself has a molar mass of 133.19 g/mol, so if you confirm that the hydrocholide and sulfate's molar masses are equal to the (weight of the new molecule) - 133.19, you might find out that they are equal in amount of Tranylcypromine, or different ratios altogether.

But like I said, my chemistry is a bit rusty.

Last edited:

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
This really depends on the context in which you are addressing this.

If you are talking about a chemistry class in which you have 10 mg of each drug on a scale then you would have a different amounts of tranylcypromine. No only do the various salts to which drugs are binded during production change total weight, but often pills are made with other active and inactive ingredients to make their size appropriately large, stay together, control how long they dissolve over, et cetera.

If you are talking about having two bottles of parnate that are labeled as 10mg pills, one of which has tranylcypromine sulfate and one that is tranylcypromine hydrocholoride, then they should have an equivalent amount of active ingredients.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello, do you know the equivalence of the differents salts of this molecule :

10 mg Tranylcypromine sulfate Molecular Weight : 364.46 g/mol
10 mg Tranylcypromine hydrochloride Molecular weight :169.65 g/mol

10 mg Tranylcypromine hydrochloride will have 2.14 times more tranylcypromine than 10 mg Tranylcypromine sulfate.
Is it correct?

Thanks for your help

For the purposes of your chemistry class homework assignment, yes, you are correct.