EMTs and Paramedics with radio straps

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
Most EMTs and medics in my county's EMS department use radio straps. I thought about getting one too. Are they beneficial or are they more of a hassle?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I love mine. But I'm the only medic in my system with one. Ask to borrow someone's for a shift and make up your mind that way

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Love mine. I am also the only medic in my system using one.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of people wear them in my system; most are trying to go fire. I wear mine while working Fire* but not when on the ambulance; stripped down and in my pocket keeps it out of my way.

(I am FT Fire and PT transporting medic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Many of my coworkers use them as do I. I love it. But we also do rescue so it's easy with the turnouts compared to a belt.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
There's a few medics in my system that use radio purses (that is what they look like, so that is what I call them).

I think it's more the placement of where they clip it to their shirt, but they seem to get a lot of open mic's...which is sometimes entertaining for me, not so much for them.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
We are dual role where I work part-time, radio strap goes under the turnout jacket for fire, and still gets worn for EMS calls. I don't like things hanging off my shirt, and find that the strap positions the lapel mic perfectly for speaking. I also have the short extension so the strap doesn't swing all over the place. Much better then trying to tuck it in a pocket and have it fall out, or have to constantly pull it out to us it, allows for quick and easy radio transmissions when needed.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a few medics in my system that use radio purses (that is what they look like, so that is what I call them).

I think it's more the placement of where they clip it to their shirt, but they seem to get a lot of open mic's...which is sometimes entertaining for me, not so much for them.
So they have the "purse" and still clip to their shirt?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

That doesn't make sense. My mic is clipped to my strap itself

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a radio strap with a mic attached. (My service doesn't use mics, so I have my own.) I can't stand clipping the radio on that goofy 5.11 strap or shoving it in my pocket. I find a radio strap works great for me. Frankly, I don't care what anyone else thinks or says. :)

People with always find things to yammer about. Do what works for you.

Last edited:

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief

They clip it to either the front of their strap, or to the button up front of their shirt.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Never wore one consistently. I'm not even sure if I've ever tried one out while working. I just put the radio on my belt on my left hip and just left it there most of the day. If I had a should mic, that would either go around my back and onto my chest or just straight up to my shoulder, depending on how I felt. No point in carrying extra stuff!

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Love my radio strap. Without it I find myself dropping or sitting on it. Also, when I go to the bathroom I can take it off and hang it on a hook instead of having to try to find somewhere not-icky to set it down. The second strap to fasten it to a belt loop/hook is essential. Love my radio strap.

(Auto correct put "someone" in place of "somewhere" there.. that was amusing.)

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I used a radio strap for a short while, but it just wasn't for me. It looked cool, but I felt like it was a big inconvenience for something pretty much cosmetic.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Radio just goes on my belt. I've only seen 1-2 people at my company wear the radio strap. Its just something that I have never needed. Radio gets clipped to my belt on the right side. I am still able to sit down without it getting in the way.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I actually have one at home. I used it when I was a seasonal firefighter. It came in handy because we used Bendix Kings that had no belt clip, plus its a bulky radio to put in your back pocket. At my current ambulance gig I don't use it, theres really no need to. Yeah I don't like having things on my belt, but its just the radio with no speaker mic. Plus our radios have belt clips on them, it'd be a different story if it didn't have a belt clip.

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
It's sort of a fire suppression thing.. I felt weird wearing one as a paramedic for a private company. Anyways, I didn't like it. At times I felt like it looked cool, but to be honest it was kind of a hassle, when you sit down you have to keep taking it off and hanging it up.