EMT T-Shirt

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Wonder if they sell "Real Estate Agent" T shirts?

;)
Don't be afraid of consults, just start and end it with the phrase "You really should make an appointment with your doctor about that", over and over and over. They'll leave you alone.

Make it a shirt that says "I support EMT" or something, then, if you don't want to be ID'ed. B)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Just my opinion but I don't believe in the routine wear of this type of shirt. I don't think it portrays professionalism.

However they can be useful. If you are working, (eg:first aid), an event of some sort and are not representing your company, a shirt may help identify you.
I wear one for registration at a summer camp I volunteer at. When the parents drop off their kids medical forms it helps identify me as the camp medic. By day two I don't need it. The kids know by then who is the camp medic and have no trouble finding me.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Just my opinion but I don't believe in the routine wear of this type of shirt. I don't think it portrays professionalism.

However they can be useful. If you are working, (eg:first aid), an event of some sort and are not representing your company, a shirt may help identify you.
I wear one for registration at a summer camp I volunteer at. When the parents drop off their kids medical forms it helps identify me as the camp medic. By day two I don't need it. The kids know by then who is the camp medic and have no trouble finding me.

huge difference between being identifiable on duty and parading around in an emt shirt while buying groceries or having a beer etc....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
the practice of attempting to establish the soonest date when you can legally/ethically start wearing ems logo gear is beyond the shadow of a doubt a sign of pre whackerdom. but dont fret. this is when the disease is easy to cure.

theres not much wrong with wearing a corp or logo t shirt; but having drawers full of them, never being seen without something that identifies you, and this case where you just cant wait to put it on. they are all signs. next comes lights,first in bags, radio antennas on the mini van, 1000 dollar scopes and full sleeves of ems tatoos.
Kev... Don't you have an EMS tattoo or 2?

And I do have a drawer full of them... and many of them stay in the drawer. They occasionally make appearances as undershirts... so if I take my uniform shirt or jobshirt off, there is still some form of EMS apparel... of course, the logo might be for a different company...but the shirt was free :).

Now that I'm older... and like to have more freedom with what I might say, might do, or where I might go, I choose to avoid wearing log/certification apparel when I'm not on-duty.

Code 3

Forum Captain
the practice of attempting to establish the soonest date when you can legally/ethically start wearing ems logo gear is beyond the shadow of a doubt a sign of pre whackerdom. but dont fret. this is when the disease is easy to cure.

theres not much wrong with wearing a corp or logo t shirt; but having drawers full of them, never being seen without something that identifies you, and this case where you just cant wait to put it on. they are all signs. next comes lights,first in bags, radio antennas on the mini van, 1000 dollar scopes and full sleeves of ems tatoos.

To each his own. Are we really going to put others down because they are excited to get in the field? The OP asked for the legality side of EMS clothing not everyone's thoughts and feelings.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Kev... Don't you have an EMS tattoo or 2?

And I do have a drawer full of them... and many of them stay in the drawer. They occasionally make appearances as undershirts... so if I take my uniform shirt or jobshirt off, there is still some form of EMS apparel... of course, the logo might be for a different company...but the shirt was free :).

Now that I'm older... and like to have more freedom with what I might say, might do, or where I might go, I choose to avoid wearing log/certification apparel when I'm not on-duty.

not a single tattoo, ems or otherwise.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We back to five questions?

:rolleyes: ...........

Sasha

Forum Chief
My EMT shirts are obscure, only people in the health field or people who ask would know what they mean.

I don't think there is anything legislating that you can't wear EMT T-shirts, freedom of expression and all that jazz!

Mine say "GCS < 8? N2B8!" (Say it out loud.) and "OPQRST: Not Just Letters of the Alphabet"

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I am with you on the funny shirts Sasha. Geez, people this is our life, it's what we do. If someone wants to walk around wearing an EMT shirt, EMT socks, and EMT underwear... I could careless! That is their choice, if it so makes them happy - then go for it. And if I want to wear a shirt around that says Big Bird, I most certainly will. It's not like the guy said he was getting EMT tattooed on his forehead.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am with you on the funny shirts Sasha. Geez, people this is our life, it's what we do. If someone wants to walk around wearing an EMT shirt, EMT socks, and EMT underwear... I could careless! That is their choice, if it so makes them happy - then go for it. And if I want to wear a shirt around that says Big Bird, I most certainly will. It's not like the guy said he was getting EMT tattooed on his forehead.

Part of the problem is we don't usually care. After a while the public does not care either, EMT's are a dime a dozen, everyone becomes one, even the greeter at Wal-Mart. (Yes, I seen a NREMT sewn to his vest).

Ironically, other medical professionals seems to honor the profession. Usually with taste and distinction. Sure, every so often one will see "... Nurses call the shots".... T-shirt. This is usually worn by a lesser level or lower trained (i.e. LPN, CNA) type. Very few times I see RN or DR. placard on their autos or see a physician wear ..."I'm a Dr. and I make house calls!".. t-shirt. Yet again, what would your perception be?

R/r 911

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Part of the problem is we don't usually care. After a while the public does not care either, EMT's are a dime a dozen, everyone becomes one, even the greeter at Wal-Mart. (Yes, I seen a NREMT sewn to his vest).

Ironically, other medical professionals seems to honor the profession. Usually with taste and distinction. Sure, every so often one will see "... Nurses call the shots".... T-shirt. This is usually worn by a lesser level or lower trained (i.e. LPN, CNA) type. Very few times I see RN or DR. placard on their autos or see a physician wear ..."I'm a Dr. and I make house calls!".. t-shirt. Yet again, what would your perception be?

R/r 911

Yeah I agree with the physician comment. I just have one shirt now, not a drawer full. I am still frantically awaiting my test results :wacko:; lol just checked results after this post
Written Exam Date: 12/17/2008
Written Exam Scored: 12/18/2008 Passed

Last edited by a moderator:

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Your wife got you the shirt, wear the shirt if you want to. Who cares if someone on the internet calls you a whacker. All that matters is that you will be a professional when on the job.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911

Ohio has Physician Plates but i've never seen them on a car.

Also, when the hospital around here wanted to standardize the dress for doctors so they could be have a distinguished scrub color (nurses are blue, medics are light blue, techs are light green, secretaries are purple, etc...) they were all against it and didn't want to have their own color. Oftentimes, some of them that wear purple end up getting people from other departments who don't know them asking them secretarial questions or asking them to go get office supplies.

They also have something against wearing their photo IDs. The school requires all profs to have the "Physicians" logo on their coat, but oftentimes, they will wear just their scrubs without the coat...

tydek07

Forum Captain
pre whacker syndrome can be rough. there should be a support group....

LOL, so very true haha

jochi1543

Forum Captain
There's a mentally handicapped guy at a mall where my classmates and I frequently have lunch, he always wants to join us. One day he was like, "yeah, I've got an EMT uniform, too, I just forgot it at home!" We were like, uh huh *polite smile.* Next day he shows up in the exact same EMS t-shirt all of us wear to class, lol.:wacko:

So yes, anyone can wear it. Now, a full EMS uniform would be another story.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant

Holly crap on a stick, I am a first class WHACKER. according to Kev. I currently have 3ems, 2fd, and one 2emt dress shirts (for funerals) not to mention the blinky blinky light on the dash. AND an EMS jacket!!! I vote that I be president of Whacker Annon.

FF894

Forum Captain
Are we talking about a random logo EMS shirt or something that ties you to a specific agency?

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
Last year my wardrobe pretty much only consisted of Fire dept and EMS shirts. I was living at the firehouse at the time and was there for the most part unless I was at work. When I wasn't there I was usually out with my firehouse buddies.

When I moved out I realized that's pretty much all I owned clothes wise. Luckily I got me a wife to shop for me cause I can't stand clothes shopping. I wear the shirts when I go out to the store once in a while but most of the times it's under a jacket.