EMT refuses to respond

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Very one-sided article - I'd like to hear the EMT's side of the story.

Maybe she knew something about that address that the dispatcher didn't. Were police on scene? What other information was given in the dispatch? Did she give dispatch a reason for not responding? These are all potentially important details that were left out of the news piece.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
I agree but it doesnt look good and why not respond to dispatch or request for back up? I agree I would like to hear her side

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
There has to be way more to this story. If something sounds sensationalized and inflated, there likely is some kind of exaggeration going on. Let's see what the investigation discovers. They have far more information than we do and will hopefully make the right decision.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Looks pretty clear-cut to me. "I don't wanna do CPR" is not "scene safety concern."

squirrel15

Forum Captain
There is so much missing from this article... I'm curious as to what her partner had to say. Because he chose to not respond also, when if they were that close easily could've made it on scene on foot to do cpr but also chose not to. Interested to hear the reasoning behind not responding

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Looks pretty clear-cut to me. "I don't wanna do CPR" is not "scene safety concern."
And you know for sure that's what she actually told the dispatcher?

And you know she didn't give any other reasons that somehow didn't make it into the news piece?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Maybe she knew something about that address that the dispatcher didn't. Were police on scene? What other information was given in the dispatch? Did she give dispatch a reason for not responding? These are all potentially important details that were left out of the news piece.
Agreed.

Let's not forget, this is Detroit: you don't get FD first responders to EMS calls. You NEVER beat the PD to an EMS call. and if you are in trouble, and request PD assistance, there is a high probability they won't make it to help you in under an hour. They are just that understaffed.

As I read the news article, they responded to the scene, and staged until additional resources arrived. Per the article, this was what she said: "I'm not about to be on no scene 10 minutes doing CPR, you know how these families get." I interpret that to me she doesn't want to be doing CPR on this infant, have it not be successful after the first few minutes, and then have the family get violent. Esp if both providers are concentrating on the baby, and not focusing on scene safety or a scene that is deteriorating. But that's all conjecture, as we only know half the story, and the city isn't going to accept any blame if they can make a scapegoat.

That all being said, even if the medic was correct, she is going to be convicted by the court of public opinion. Even if the address was a known crack den occupied by heavily armed ganged members, and staging would have been appropriate, her career is basically over, especially if she ever applies to a job outside of detroit.

There has to be more to this story that we aren't being told.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Since I know many that work for DEMS....

The supervisor had repeatedly told her the scene was safe. This is not her first time refusing to go to a call. She quit years ago after refusing and then they allowed her to come back.

They also have the option as an echo unit to just transport to the nearest ER. There is a hospital on every corner basically in Detroit.

If you listen to the tape the supervisor tells her over and over to make scene, and she says no. She should be fired. Plain and simple.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I agree but it doesnt look good and why not respond to dispatch or request for back up? I agree I would like to hear her side

There is no back up available in Detroit. They refuse to call the handful of private ambulances in the city. And all ALS rigs are always on calls. You hardly ever will get PD either.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Her reason was..

"I don't want to be doing no CPR for 10 minutes. You know how these families get".

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I keep hearing about the lack of units for public safety in Detroit -- and I wonder, why don't they call in mutual aid from private EMS, neighboring jurisdictions fire/PD, etc? Isn't that what mutual aid is for?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I keep hearing about the lack of units for public safety in Detroit -- and I wonder, why don't they call in mutual aid from private EMS, neighboring jurisdictions fire/PD, etc? Isn't that what mutual aid is for?
Mutual aid is supposed to be for times when your units are all occupied or on a very large call where help beyond the normal department's capacity is needed. Mutual aid is meant for the unusual circumstance, not the everyday type of short-staffing that Detroit has. No company/agency is willing to just come in and do another agency's job for no compensation because said agency is incapable of properly managing their assets.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There are 3-4 private services in the Detroit area that are willing to take the extra calls. Detroit just never calls them

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
There are 3-4 private services in the Detroit area that are willing to take the extra calls. Detroit just never calls them

What? Why? Are they afraid of ruining their own image? It's kind of late for that. But they could help themselves by lowering response times, and since the privates are willing to help...????????

Hockey

Quackers
She was just fired.

She has a history of doing this. People that work with her have ALL said this doesn't surprise them. She has done stuff like this in the past (not to this severity). There is a long paper trail on her. She works on the Romeo Unit so she doesn't have to lift, or transport. She is the definition of lazy. She is not a good person. She's going to end up losing her license as well I'm almost certain. She will never work in EMS again.

She was quoted saying that "you know families get"

EMT2015

Forum Captain
I hope she loses her license and is never able to work in EMS again. I can't understand why she was fired and then rehired...doesn't make any sense

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Personally (as a mom I may be a little biased) if an EMT or P refused to help my baby "because youknow how these families get" I would strongly be considering legal advise on her personally. But, like I said, I could be biased... And a bit of a Mama Bear.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Personally (as a mom I may be a little biased) if an EMT or P refused to help my baby "because youknow how these families get" I would strongly be considering legal advise on her personally. But, like I said, I could be biased... And a bit of a Mama Bear.

I think i would be the same way! My deal is this was a baby a child and how could someone just say oo I dont want to help, It just makes me sick! I read the investatgation report and wow just wow... we all see bad things and we all do thing we may not want to but this come on! Does any one want to ever have to do CPR on a child or baby no beacuse its hard emotionally but we do it to help save lives and this is OUR JOB!! Even if i wasnt an EMT I would do any thing for any child that needs help... I guess thats the human and Mom in me....