EMT patch on Job shirt

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I have seen this one before, however, from what I have heard, it is no longer used. I believe the story was that was the patch used when EMS fell under the department of public safety, up until 10 or so years. It was then split up so state patrol and police got seperate departments, and they put EMS into the department of Health and Human Services.

Hmm, I guess the NREMT patch is the only one. :(
I guess that's the way to do it, then.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
The company I work for only has two patches on each arm. However, I am not sure as to the placement for your patches. This might help......

Boy%20Scout%20Uniform%202.jpg

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I wasn't looking for criticism or fashion advice, like I mentioned, I was just looking for placement ideas.

Thank you n7lxi. I like the idea of having my name, then EMT. The thought never occured to me.

Standard practice around here is department patch on left, state cert on right. Our fire department does have an american flag on right over the EMT patch. Name on right chest, Florian Cross with station number on left chest.

Nothing on back

I always wonder about having local agencies using the American Flag. wouldnt it make more sense to use the state flag?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Or no patches, and wear a single pin on each collar. Medical symbol on one side, maltese cross on the other. Both are represented and you don't look like a biker who has covered his leathers with club patches.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Much as I like the flag on a job shirt, I'd rather have my EMT patch on one and department on the other.
me too. the american flag goes on an sleeve that has nothing on it. if you have something (such as the level of medical training), it goes in place of the flag.

My FD button down uniform always had my EMS training level on it. my original job shirt from my first volunteer agency had a 9/11 patch on it; outside of that, if it isnt' required by my department, my jobshirts are patchless. I do like them to be nicely embroidered.

OP
OP
M

MidwestEMT

Forum Crew Member
Keep in mind this isn't like a button down shirt. It's one of the tru spec sweatshirt/pullover thing with the 1/4 zip. I do like the ideas some of you are putting out there, so I appreciate it.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
My job shirt has my name and paramedic under it on the front right and a small company patch on the front left. We have the option of adding our nremt patch to the sleeve, but I haven't and probably won't.

OP
OP
M

MidwestEMT

Forum Crew Member
I think I'll take the suggestion of the pins on the collar for now. When I finally get my medic, sounds like the best option is to put paramedic under my name.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I would echo the "add it below your name" bit. Anything else looks too cluttered.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I wasn't looking for criticism or fashion advice, like I mentioned, I was just looking for placement ideas.

Thank you n7lxi. I like the idea of having my name, then EMT. The thought never occured to me.

@Trashtalk, I do not NEED to identify myself as EMS, but I would like to. Our department is set up into Fire/EMS and EMS only. Most of the fire guys want nothing to do with the EMS (let alone putting it on their job shirts), and kick it over to the EMS only personnel. I am passionate about both, and therefore want both entities represented.

If you are not an officer, then just follow what your SOG says. If your SOG is silent on the issue, ask an officer. If he says it's up to you, then there is no need for the NREMT patch. Our uniforms have department patch on left shoulder, name on right chest, and optional flag on right shoulder. I think any thing more would make it look cluttered. Our pull-overs have no standard and it's what you want. A decent minority go with nothing at all, no patch, no name, nothing. The majority go with name on right, and patch or logo on left chest. Didn't you say that PARAMEDIC was already written on the back? If so, no additional patch is needed.

If you ARE an officer and are devising an SOG, then I highly suggest that you not put the NREMT patch on your uniforms. There is no need for it, and there are plenty of other ways to ID yourself as an EMT. Remember that less is more when it comes to uniforms--less (fewer) patches can look more professional.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
I typically go shirtless and it has revived mote than on pt when they get a quick glimce of me :p

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I typically go shirtless and it has revived mote than on pt when they get a quick glimce of me :p

Were those revivals before or after the implants? :p

Roy51

Forum Probie
me too. the american flag goes on an sleeve that has nothing on it. if you have something (such as the level of medical training), it goes in place of the flag.

My FD button down uniform always had my EMS training level on it. my original job shirt from my first volunteer agency had a 9/11 patch on it; outside of that, if it isnt' required by my department, my jobshirts are patchless. I do like them to be nicely embroidered.

+1. Patches belong on buttondown shirts, not on polos or job shirts.

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I would say put your cert level after your name. So Jonah Pregulman, BSN, EMT or something like that. There is no need for your NREMT patch as it only says that you passed your test, not that you are licensed to practice any where. Keep it simple. Our Job shirts have Name with cert on one side and the squad patch on the other (its embroidered). Flags are good, but more than that is over kill.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTown714

Forum Probie
Hey fire guys with job shirts, quick question. I am trying to figure out placement on my NREMT patch for a custom job shirt i'm ordering for my fire dept. The standard format is this:
Right shoulder: Flag
Left shoulder: dept. Patch
Right Chest: last name embroidered
Left chest: Dept. Logo embroidered
Back: Dept. Fire/Rescue embroidered.

Do you have any suggestions of where to fit the NREMT patch without it looking cluttered? Or any other options besides the patch to identify myself as EMS personnel would also help.

Thanks!

Here in Florida, the standard usually is Department patch on the left shoulder and EMT/Paramedic patch/Flag on the right...

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I wonder, does your partner allow this? If so, what is their standard for similar situations? Are there no other EMTs/Medics in your FD?

If it truly is your responsibility for making and paying for your own job shirt, I have seen the patch below the flag or in place of the flag.