EMT drop out?

Emergencyjunkie

Forum Probie
Just curious as to know how many people dropped out of your EMT-B, AEMT, or Paramedic course? The average average drop out at my school is between 20 and 22 people

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
This may sound harsh, but anyone who drops out of an EMT-B class because they can't handle the workload is a moron.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Out of 40 people in my class I think three miserably failed the course test. Nobody dropped out.

I totally agree with you, Cheif Complaint. I don't see why anyone would drop out from basic. It is a lot of common sense, basic anatomy, and skill learning. There is a bit of memorizing, but it has to be a bit tedious when lives are at stake. If you can't deal with it, then go find something else to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
For our Diploma in Ambulance Practice (volunteer course) the pass rate has varied between in excess of 90% to less than 50%. The lower end of the scale is found with volunteers on rural or remote stations who often have less clinical exposure.

In recent months the pass rates are increasing because of more careful selection of volunteers who can handle the level of study and commitment required and better rotation of rural and remote volunteers through urban stations for clinical mentoring.

Now, for our Paramedic degree the pass rate is much higher but a few students do drop out, usually during the first year. We only admit 60 odd students to the Degree programs.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
EMT-B course: I don't recall. I know we lost a couple people to personal issues but the people that stuck it out got through no problems.

Paramedic course (6 months in/7 months left): 36% up to this point

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
The thing with pass rates, is they don't tell you much.

If 50% of a class drops out / fails, then what does it say about the training? Does it mean that the program was really thorough, detailed and challenging, and that many of the students couldn't handle it? Or does it mean that the instructional staff did a bad job of teaching, and only the stronger students managed to struggle through.

If 100% pass, was it too easy? Or was it well enough taught that by the end of the program even the weakest students were competent enough for the instructors to pass? Or did the instructors just pass everyone for funding purposes?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
We had a bunch drop out of the EMT-B class but it was due to lack of interest.

Our old chief (Dept is Perdiem days volly nights) was a firm believer in education. His philosophy was, train all drivers and Fire Fighters as basics. Well, some of them failed the basic comprehension tests, others hated it and did poorly and a couple passed the class and became EMT-B's... some passed the class and never even tested.

Poor.

My NCTI Intermediate class? 20 started, 19 are intermediates and out of those 19 about half of them are in the medic program.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Started with 20 ended with 15. One kid actually disappeared in the middle of our IV skills class. One minute he was there, the next minute GONE! Left his backpack and books sitting in class!

Another kid wasn't allowed to test because he got in trouble for hitting on ER nurses during his FIRST clinical!

I mean...REALLY?!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The basic program through one of my departments typically loses just over 50%, whether from students dropping out or being let go (they are very strict on grades). The medic program I went through, we only lost 2 (though we only started with 11).

MedicBender

Forum Captain
For my paramedic program, we started with 30 and ended up with 22. 5 failed out, 2 stopped showing up, and 1 was kicked out.

kybackcountry

Forum Probie
I dropped my medic class about 25% through and enrolled in the university paramedic science program, seemed like the wise thing to do.

Joe

Forum Captain
Ha! We started with 70. The day drug tests were due we went to 60. The day background packet was due we went to 45ish. Finished class with around 30. As far as I can tell around 10 passed nat reg. But I didn't keep in touch with the annoying people so they may have passed nt.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Started with around 22, ended up with 17 or 18. Most of the ones that left, I guess the program was not what they were expecting. I don't believe we lost anyone on "academic" issues. (Basic)

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Another kid wasn't allowed to test because he got in trouble for hitting on ER nurses during his FIRST clinical!

I mean...REALLY?!!

There are many more important things in this field than trying to pick up women. Hell that should be the last thing on your mind when you are serving a duty to the community. It's a good thing he was kicked out, I'm sure if I was his patient I would be pretty PO'd

Started with around 22, ended up with 17 or 18. Most of the ones that left, I guess the program was not what they were expecting. I don't believe we lost anyone on "academic" issues. (Basic)

I will admit I had academic issues too. That doesn't mean you quit, it just means you should put in a little more effort to learn. I got dumped after a 9 month relationship when I was taking my class and it was a little depressing for me. There was one day I sat through the class and stared blankly at the paper. I got over it and I realized how important it was to learn this stuff if I wanted to be an EMT.

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member
Our B class started out with 22 people, and then when clinical time started (you had to have above a 70% or above to do clinicals) a lot of people started dropping. And our instructor made sure to weed out those who would most likely hurt someone in the field. :rofl: We ended up with five people once the course was finished.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Trauma - Apparently not only was he hitting on the nurse preceptor, he was asking a friend of mine out for coffee while she was on her clinical in the same ER, IN THE PATIENT'S ROOM! So, come NR skills testing day, he was not present...Don't know specifics of what his punishment was.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Our class started with around 43 and we ended with 23...

The nice thing for us is if you fail out on one of the mods, you can start right where you left off in the next class.

RDunn

Forum Ride Along
my emt class started with 20. we lost 3 along the way and of the 17 that tested. 16 passed on the first attempt.

my medic class started with 30. we finished with 28, lost one to drug clac's and the other to cardiology.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Class started with 46. No one dropped out. On the second week 3 got kicked out for not following dress code/uniform policy. 30 failed the mid-term and were not allowed to continue the class. All the people who passed mid-terms passed the final. And 10 of the 13 passed the NR the first try.

We had to maintain at least an 80% in class to not fail. We had to get an 80% or above on the mid-term and final or we would be dropped (fail) the class.