EMT Boot Camp Starts Monday

In MA they don't require clinical time/Ride time but the dept I am going to volly for has been letting me ride im averaging a 12hr shift a week for the last 2 months (I had a month and a half wait between my class ending and my state practical which was last Sunday).... I want to do medic and I have no doubt that I would make it thought the class if I started in the fall ( I already have a BS in Phys ed with a concentration in coaching so have had a ton of Athletic training classes and Physiology of exerciser ect...) but I feel that I will be doing an injustice too myself.... From all I can see so far is that experience is everything in this field and we have this medic where I volly that went emt right to medic didn't work a day in the field till she had her medic and no one can stand her because she is very arrogant and thinks she knows it all and talks down to all the basics and intermediates that have been working in the feild for 10-15 + years its pretty annoying

Any way I plan on waiting at least a year, which was a hard decsion for me because i am very impatient and just want to get it done now! I mean i just did 4 and 1/2 years of college, 4 months of basic school whats another year lol

How many patients are you actually coming into contact with as a volly doing one 12 hour shift per week?

Is the Paramedic a paid employee?

And what does the Paramedic's personality as a know it all have to do with whether you take the Paramedic class now or later?

If one has remained as an EMT-B for 15+ years, maybe they do need a reality check occasionally.

Why exactly are you want to be a Paramedic? Are you going to have enough time aside from your real job to work or volunteer as one?

How many patients are you actually coming into contact with as a volly doing one 12 hour shift per week?

Is the Paramedic a paid employee?

And what does the Paramedic's personality as a know it all have to do with whether you take the Paramedic class now or later?

If one has remained as an EMT-B for 15+ years, maybe they do need a reality check occasionally.

Why exactly are you want to be a Paramedic? Are you going to have enough time aside from your real job to work or volunteer as one?

Don't plan on stying on my current job once I have my medic, Its just i cant afford the pay cut to a basic right now so its gona be volly for a bit, I would say i have been averaging 4 to 5 calls a shift, have worked everything from a couple of codes to so pretty bad MVA's and everything in between by no means seasoned but I have had good luck with getting calls (or bad luck depending how you look at it) ..... Fair enough about the medics personality, I guess I was more using that as an example of what i don't want to happen and less of a reason not to go right into medic... as far as the EMT-B, the person i was thinking of with 15 years on was an I and I do know a few b's with 10 plus years and for personal reasons just don't want or have the desire to go further.... all the medics here are paid and depending the time of day and amount of shifts that week you are sched I's and B's can get paid too.

By no means meant to ruffle any feathers just stating my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't plan on stying on my current job once I have my medic, Its just i cant afford the pay cut to a basic right now so its gona be volly for a bit, I would say i have been averaging 4 to 5 calls a shift, have worked everything from a couple of codes to so pretty bad MVA's and everything in between by no means seasoned but I have had good luck with getting calls (or bad luck depending how you look at it) ..... Fair enough about the medics personality, I guess I was more using that as an example of what i don't want to happen and less of a reason not to go right into medic... as far as the EMT-B, the person i was thinking of with 15 years on was an I and I do know a few b's with 10 plus years and for personal reasons just don't want or have the desire to go further.... all the medics here are paid and depending the time of day and amount of shifts that week you are sched I's and B's can get paid too.

By no means meant to ruffle any feathers just stating my opinion

You'll find a good majority of the people on these forums will recommend you to get into a medic school as soon as you can. Most people I know who are B's and I's for ten plus years are burnt out and show no motivation what so ever not just to go back to school but in patient care as well, that being said I personally (just one person's opinion) think you should work around a year as a basic prior to going into a medic program -reasons I stated in another post and won't go back into- but no more than that. Also if you do decide to go through with medic school goto an actual school not a medic mill, I went to what one could define as a medic mill and I feel cheated and am still making up for the crucial knowledge I missed despite it was through the Department of the Army I feel very short changed. If one does go through a medic mill and has actually worked the job for any significant period of time and doesn't feel short changed they seriously have some problems...In other words just don't do it.

You'll find a good majority of the people on these forums will recommend you to get into a medic school as soon as you can. Most people I know who are B's and I's for ten plus years are burnt out and show no motivation what so ever not just to go back to school but in patient care as well, that being said I personally (just one person's opinion) think you should work around a year as a basic prior to going into a medic program -reasons I stated in another post and won't go back into- but no more than that. Also if you do decide to go through with medic school goto an actual school not a medic mill, I went to what one could define as a medic mill and I feel cheated and am still making up for the crucial knowledge I missed despite it was through the Department of the Army I feel very short changed. If one does go through a medic mill and has actually worked the job for any significant period of time and doesn't feel short changed they seriously have some problems...In other words just don't do it.

thats exactly what I plan on, I want to work for a year and next September start medic get some experience first and also save some money so I can do school full time and only work part time so I don't get burnt out, I pulled 40hr work weeks and full course load in college and def don't want to go back to that!

Trevor,

You are going to let us know WHEN you graduate in a couple of days, right? Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Thats a lot of things to learn in a very short period of time, I'm not sure i could do it. I study 4 hours a night 5 days a week and still forget things, but I am getting better, now that we are working scenerios things are making sense, and starting to come together.
I'm pulling for you and hope you do well, study hard, just a couple more days!:)

UPDATE: Passed my state practical today, state written is tomorrow, then I am done! Just have to wait to get my certificate.

Not really worried about the written I have done great with the written tests in class so far, plus I can always retake it if I do something stupid.

Will post back tomorrow once I am all done with class and let you know.

My opninion means nothing yet since I'm not even in school yet, but I would never want to take a course like that. I would feel like I wasn't absorbing anything and on top of it would have no time to ask questions or practically apply any of the information that I was already forgetting.

Precisely why the accelerated program is not for everyone.

Everyone learns differently.

The students in the 2 week class get no less practice time than the students in the 6 months class. Once again, 120 hours is 120 hours no matter how you slice it.

Perhaps then those students should reconsider if the accelerated program is for them before continuing.

Guess who usually ends up in the accelerated programs? It's not usually the ones who do the best in a totally immersive intense learning environment. They are the slackers who want instant gratification.

I know.

I went to through an accelerated program, but it wasn't even a mill. It was through a community college. It was a 180 hour combined NREMT/WEMT course that lasted 5 weeks (it was really over 200 class hours NOT including testing nor the 24-48 hours of clinicals (I took 48)). Of the people in the class, one other student and I were the only ones I'd have classified as "immersive learners." The instruction was as great, but most people who choose the intense compressed EMT classes don't learn that way nor retain it. For that reason, the college ended the condensed program and only offers the 1 semester NREMT-B program (they also have a 3 semester AAS in Paramedicine). That other student and I are the only ones from that class that I know to still be in emergency services.

I had no problem, I had previous knowledge and field practice plus I am just good at science. So being "accelerated" was right at my pace. If it would have been slower I would have been bored.

Now, the people who have no experience in the field and aren't familiar with it at all, they didn't do so well.

As for the instructors, the lead instructor is the county coroner and also the paramedic supervisor for a large ambulance company based near a level one trauma center. Very knowledgable and didn't just teach us the minimum, but made us get an understanding of why, so when we get out in the field we aren't robots working down a step by step sheet.

We also had the state medical director come in and speak in our class, so I would say the class went better than I expected it to.

I have read through this thread and got a chuckle or two. I have seen some arrogant statements from a few folks who I recognize from other forums. One one side I agree with the majority but on the other I have to take a stance on the other side. Many are not seeing the whole picture here.

I will be the first to state that I am not a fan of these accelerated programs. I will also say though that I am not a fan of many of the standard length programs. Lets take a look though at the real "jist" of why many of these accelerate programs exist. Many are situated in areas that are rural and protected by volunteer services. There is a severe lack of EMT's in these areas. This is a marketing tool to get people to take a class to gain membership for these services. They are also provided as a prerequisite class for those taking other health care classes such as nursing as "easy" and "quick" credits for their current profession classes.

So lets look at the rural area that is severely understaffed or have no providers at all. When you have an emergency what do you want? Absolutely no one coming to scrape you up and get you to definitive care or at least someone who has somewhat of a clue on what to do? Again, I am not advocating these programs but for many of them, I see why they exist. Now I will say I see a few that are there basically to make a buck and for those who appear to want the easy way out

I have met a few folks that have taken these classes. Some are totally worthless to the profession and are weeded out by the providers pretty quick or actually never make it to a provider as they never pass the testing. I have met quite a few though that were actually competent at the greenest level. It is then the preceptors job to make them an EMT. These classes are really just there to pass the certification test. You then learn to be an EMT from your mentor. If you don't have a mentor, you are pretty well hosed and will not make it in this field.

I don't buy the "lack of respect" thing in this profession. You earn your respect not from where you went to school but by what you say and do but not only you yourself but by your entire team. I took my EMT class in 1979 and it wasn't much more knowledge than is taught in the First Responder class now. My Paramedic class in 1986 was 5 months from start to finish going two nights a week and this included clinicals. I was ready for anything when I came out of each class. I had a great mentor though each time.

My only advice I could give anyone taking a class such as this is to find yourself a good, experienced mentor and milk them for everything they have. My advice to all here making the arrogant statements slamming these programs is to take these people under your wing and help them. Then the "respect" level for our field will raise. If you continue to condemn them nothing will ever change and in reality it is ourselves shooting ourselves in the foot to get this respect you desire. EMS is a team based environment. As long as there are "Lone Rangers" here, nothing will change. The damage to this profession is done by "experienced" providers, not the Probies. They don't know any better. We do.

Once again. let me state that I am on no way endorsing these accelerated programs. I believe in education as much as the next person. I am just saying I just see why they exist and in some areas succeed and I support why they are there. EMS is not a template. In some areas it just has to be this way.

So lets look at the rural area that is severely understaffed or have no providers at all. When you have an emergency what do you want? Absolutely no one coming to scrape you up and get you to definitive care or at least someone who has somewhat of a clue on what to do? Again, I am not advocating these programs but for many of them, I see why they exist. Now I will say I see a few that are there basically to make a buck and for those who appear to want the easy way out

Being rural should not mean you decrease standards just to get warm bodies with a patch on the street. The residents of the rural communities are entitled to well trained and educated providers just as anywhere else.

Rural hospitals still require the same education and competency for their staff and do not make exceptions because of location.

Sorry, somewhat of a clue is just not good enough.

Being rural should not mean you decrease standards just to get warm bodies with a patch on the street. The residents of the rural communities are entitled to well trained and educated providers just as anywhere else.

Rural hospitals still require the same education and competency for their staff and do not make exceptions because of location.

Sorry, somewhat of a clue is just not good enough.

Sorry, got to disagree with you. I want to get to definitive care. Didn't say I was gonna jump for joy. You can just lay there and wait for a provider that meets your requirements. Hope they bring their resume. I knew there would be comments like this. Evidently you have never lived in BFE. Didn't say I condone it or supports it. Just saying I got a clue to why these programs exist. :sad:

Forgot to add to, Comparing Rural EMS to a Rural hospital is like comparing apples to chainsaws. Not even the same planet. Rural EMS is provided by the guy that owns the hardware store on a part time volunteer basis taking time from his job and family. Rural hospitals are staffed by full time paid staff. Don't you think that the hardware store owner would go to a "full fledged" class if they could? I bet they would in a heart beat but if they do there is no one to run the store which is their life and income.

Once again I will state. I do not support these accelerated classes. I just realize why "SOME" of them exist.

Sorry, got to disagree with you. I want to get to definitive care. Didn't say I was gonna jump for joy. You can just lay there and wait for a provider that meets your requirements. Hope they bring their resume. I knew there would be comments like this. Evidently you have never lived in BFE. Didn't say I condone it or supports it. Just saying I got a clue to why these programs exist. :sad:

So you are just providing a taxi ride to the hospital for the definitive care?

Providing poorly trained providers is not acceptable. The people that live in rural areas of this country should not be treated like third class citizens just because some who want to do EMS do not take it serious enough to get properly trained and educated.

Forgot to add to, Comparing Rural EMS to a Rural hospital is like comparing apples to chainsaws. Not even the same planet. Rural EMS is provided by the guy that owns the hardware store on a part time volunteer basis taking time from his job and family. Rural hospitals are staffed by full time paid staff. Don't you think that the hardware store owner would go to a "full fledged" class if they could? I bet they would in a heart beat but if they do there is no one to run the store which is their life and income.

Why is it so different? RNs and RRTs must find a school to attend for at least two years. MDs still must go to at least 12 years. Why do those in EMS whine about attending a 3, 6 or 12 month program? If you don't want to make the commitment, step aside and let those who want EMS to be a profession do the job. Those that insist on this "oh woe is me whacker mentality" are doing EMS a disservice as well the community they supposedly serve.

BTW, some states do provide paid ALS to even those that live in BFE.

[QUOTE=

Why is it so different? RNs and RRTs must find a school to attend for at least two years.
Because the are careers, again people don't like to hear this, but ems is a stepping ston job to bigger and better paying careers such as RN, RT, X-ray techs ans so forth at least where I come from anyways and it's not about to change anytime soon.:P

So you are just providing a taxi ride to the hospital for the definitive care?

Providing poorly trained providers is not acceptable. The people that live in rural areas of this country should not be treated like third class citizens just because some who want to do EMS do not take it serious enough to get properly trained and educated.

Why is it so different? RNs and RRTs must find a school to attend for at least two years. MDs still must go to at least 12 years. Why do those in EMS whine about attending a 3, 6 or 12 month program? If you don't want to make the commitment, step aside and let those who want EMS to be a profession do the job. Those that insist on this "oh woe is me whacker mentality" are doing EMS a disservice as well the community they supposedly serve.

BTW, some states do provide paid ALS to even those that live in BFE.

OK, this is my last post on this one as there is no need to hash this out and beat a dead horse. You continually fail to realize that I am not supporting this concept. I don't have to post in a conservative manner on this forum as I do not own it. I post as well not from my attitude but from personal experiance and observation.

Since you edited the last post and deleted the statement "You are too young and do not have enough education to be determine what the people in your community deserve for health care and EMS." Lets give you a little bit about my background. I have been in EMS 30 years now. I ran my first EMS call June 5th, 1980. I have 2 degrees. One a BS and one an MBA so I have a little education. I have been an EMT since 1980 and a paramedic since 1986. I have ran a few calls in my life with lets say around 30,000 to be conservative. I have been an Administrator so I have an idea of what a community wants and in fact demands. I am also a State Certified EMS instructor. I have mostly worked metro municipal EMS in my career but have worked rural volunteer as well as private services. I have been around the block a time or two.

I grew up in a rural area. The closest ambulance was 25 miles from where I lived and it was staffed by a paid on call staff. If there was an EMS call in my rural community there was absolutely no assistance available until the ambulance arrived with an average 30 minute arrive time. No first responders, no nothing. The people in this community were not affluent. Most made minimum wage or just a bit better. They could not afford to take time off work and drive a conservative 60 miles one way to the closest EMS training program. A concept like this would of been a life saver in a situation like this. If fact a similar program was administered to the volunteer fire department there. So, instead of sitting there for close to 30 minutes watching your dead family member lay on the floor you had someone there to help you within a few minutes. Sure, they weren't the best trained but you had some help. As I said, in some situations these classes are great. In situations where the goal is to pump out patches they aren't and I would never support them.

You can not condone someone for taking such a class though. As said before, many who enroll in these classes do so as it is their only option. Some just don't know any better. And yes, some do it for the easy way out. These are easy to spot and are easy to get rid of. Why would you say that if they did this they should not even attempt a class? What if it was the only option? Then also, why would you stigmatize this person and not take your experience and skill and mold them into a competent provider at an advanced level? You are missing the entire point with your "My way or the highway" attitude. This is the mentality that heaps the stigma on EMS which must be bad where you live and work because we don't have that where I live and work.

My philosophy is to help anyone advance that I can. That is why I choose to be a preceptor. I hold their hands and let them take baby steps. Usually it works but sometimes it doesn't. I have had students from accelerated programs (not this accelerated, but close) and have seen many go on to advanced levels of care with the experience they receive in the beginning. Why don't you look at the glass half full instead of half empty and do your duty that the EMS Oath dictates to help others be it a patient or a fellow provider. It makes the shift a lot more relaxed without the negativity. I do truly see where you are coming from and to an extent agree but I know what You have as well as I is just not possible for many. It is our job and responsibility to assure that those that did take this route are competent and productive. It is our responsibility to convince them to seek more credentialed training opportunities. Not ostracize them. That is how this industry succeeds and advances.

Your whole post is still a bunch of excuses to keep a volunteer service with EMTs who don't have time to really concentrate on much associated with the profession because they are too busy with their other degrees and lives.

It is those who boast their "expertise, education and knowledge" that want EMS to stay just as it is in their communities who are sometimes looking solely at their own egos and needs. Who knows one of them big city companies might come to town or heaven forbid a FD might try to do ALS in that area. In that respect you may be more of the problem than the help that community really needs.

Just a heads up. I passed my written today. Should be getting my state certificate in the mail next week sometime. Also had some quizzing from some experienced emts and had no problem answering their questions. So accelerated doesn't mean less it just means the same faster. Yeah it is a problem if you can't keep up with the material, but if you can why not take the class full time rather than taking it spread over months? I still put in the same number of hours as other emt-bs...

Back