EMT-Basic Shared Articles

JPINFV

Gadfly
Want additional ideas?

Oxygen and reactive oxygen species (ROS).

Evidence behind spinal immobilization and selective spinal immobilization (look up National Emergency X-ray Utilization Study (NEXUS) criteria and Canadian C-Spine rule).

Helicopter EMS in terms of safety, effectiveness, and utilization.

Community Paramedicine.

Edit:

Also, look up Dr. Bryan Bledsoe and his Myths of EMS series. Sure, it might be a little old at this point, but it's still very pertinent to current EMS practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
So is this Tammy, Rocio or Stacy?

JPINFV

Gadfly
So is this Tammy, Rocio or Stacy?

Let's cut the dudette some slack. If all you knew of EMS was RCC, how would you act. Sure, the time spent in inspection would be much better spent learning anatomy, physiology, pathology, and patient management, but she can't change that.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I know we're off topic here, but anywho....

While i think the para military aspect of the OP's course is quite stupid, i kinda like the fact that they incorporate PT into their program. Many people get into EMS without realizing that its a physically demanding career choice, and that in many cases they will have to pass a CPAT in order to even be considered for a paid job. Not to mention the physical challenges that come along with a fire academy.

At least this program is helping the fatties to achieve some level of fitness before they attempt to break into this competetive field.

But seriously, the para military thing rubs me the wrong way.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I came off grumpy, school is making making me a douche lately sorry about that.

To go along with JPs idea about O2 and ROS check out supplemental O2 and myocardial infarctions and its benefits/problems, you'd be surprised.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
RE READ....I GOT ONE SUGGESTION....AFTER THE BANTER....
and for those of you who keep referring to me as Dude.... I am a woman...

Err you got two but who's really counting?

Sorry, but I guess I think people should do homework assigned to them by themselves. By all means use the this site as a resource, and ask questions if you don't understand something. But to come in and say "what are some interesting topics relating to EMS?" comes off as just plain lazy. It's a whole industry, surely a small bit of poking around the Internet will yield something of note?

Also don't delude yourself too much about class. It may be a great program, but there is a limit to what can be learned in 140 hours. Class is a start and not much more.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry, but I guess I think people should do homework assigned to them by themselves.

While, in general, I agree, I think it's more than acceptable to ask what major issues are being faced. Especially if an area isn't going to teach NEXUS, CCR, or an equivalent criteria then there is no reason to expect students to believe that spinal immobilization of everyone is some sort of established science. If the school is teaching "OXYGEN FOR EVERYONE!" then there's no reason to expect them to learn about the issues of reperfusion injury and other issues with hyperoxia. Additionally, I'd rather corrupt them now and force them to put their teachers in the hot seat than try to deprogram the derp later.

OP
OP
J

jnsangel33

Forum Crew Member
Ok, look.... now that we are getting a little bit back on track.. I still have 9more weeks of class and I have done almost all of my homework in advance. I don't have a problem doing my homework by myself and I am certainly not lazy. I have only been in the program for a little while and am not sure what I should do about the article. Not asking anyone to do it for me, just asking for opinions. Thank you for the comments offering suggestions. And as for being a "woman" in the field... I am thick skinned. And you are very correct....I AM THE STUDENT...hence the reason for me asking for opinion or suggestions. :cool:

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Ok, look.... now that we are getting a little bit back on track.. I still have 9more weeks of class and I have done almost all of my homework in advance. I don't have a problem doing my homework by myself and I am certainly not lazy. I have only been in the program for a little while and am not sure what I should do about the article. Not asking anyone to do it for me, just asking for opinions. Thank you for the comments offering suggestions. And as for being a "woman" in the field... I am thick skinned. And you are very correct....I AM THE STUDENT...hence the reason for me asking for opinion or suggestions. :cool:

Maybe thicken it just a little bit more. Aside from that, http://www.ems1.com/ is a great place. Its not that tough, you pick an article and write a little bit about it. *1-2 paragraphs* if I remember right. The instructors didn't even read mine when I did them. Just gave me an A.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
NEXUS, injuries caused by backboards and oxygen is not a panacea would likely make the instructors' heads explode...

Community paramedicine, Medicare reimbursement freezes, social media and how it affects EMS and the professionalization of the career field are all thoughts.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
NEXUS, injuries caused by backboards and oxygen is not a panacea would likely make the instructors' heads explode...

Community paramedicine, Medicare reimbursement freezes, social media and how it affects EMS and the professionalization of the career field are all thoughts.

Or she could use an article on RCC's EMS program and be the class brown nose :ph34r:

aidan

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the Wednesday class (176). Our instructor told us to search current events in EMS and write a two paragraph article on them. www.ems1.com is one site you can use. Make sure other squad members are going to actually write an article if they say they are. If you don't have all 5 I'm sure the entire squad will be screwed... also good luck on your golden, mine is next week also. It is a compilation of the first five silvers, 20 questions from each silver (just in case you didn't know). Don't worry about what everyone else is saying here... :)

Also remember that your curriculum officer, squad leader, class president and your instructor are there to answer questions like this :D

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I'm in the Wednesday class (176). Our instructor told us to search current events in EMS and write a two paragraph article on them. www.ems1.com is one site you can use. Make sure other squad members are going to actually write an article if they say they are. If you don't have all 5 I'm sure the entire squad will be screwed... also good luck on your golden, mine is next week also. It is a compilation of the first five silvers, 20 questions from each silver (just in case you didn't know). Don't worry about what everyone else is saying here... :)

Also remember that your curriculum officer, squad leader, class president and your instructor are there to answer questions like this :D

I like this guy already.. Schulz is awesome isnt he? And you're right, the whole squad gets screwed. I got a 97% on my golden 1, its fairly easy if you've been reading up... but 99% of the info you need to know is in the lectures. Have any of you done your clinicals yet?

aidan

Forum Crew Member
I like this guy already.. Schulz is awesome isnt he? And you're right, the whole squad gets screwed. I got a 97% on my golden 1, its fairly easy if you've been reading up... but 99% of the info you need to know is in the lectures. Have any of you done your clinicals yet?

Yes, he's great. I've done all 3 ER clinicals and just rode with Riverside City Fire today :) Lynch on Monday.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Yes, he's great. I've done all 3 ER clinicals and just rode with Riverside City Fire today :) Lynch on Monday.

Nice, what station you run with?

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Station 5 :)
Good deal. Alright I guess we gotta get this thread back on track before the mods get mad at me again.. so yea.. what'd you choose for your article?

OP
OP
J

jnsangel33

Forum Crew Member

I have Fontaine. I admire Schultz. I saw him in a skills group and the way he taught them was amazing!! :) Anyway, we were told just to print up something we find relating to EMS. The basic reason why I came in asking for advice is because I figured most people here were either going through this, too or had already been through it and I could get some over the top ideas and blow this out of the water!! :) I don't want to just pass this class....I want to own it! You know? and I took my prozac..... no one will bother me anymore!! (kidding)

OP
OP
J

jnsangel33

Forum Crew Member
I postponed my clinicals because I wanted to have more skills under my belt first (regretting that decision now). I start mine next weekend. ER on Saturday and Lynch ride out on Sunday. Now that class is getting a bit hairier I wish I would now have half of my clinicals done. It will all work out. I have read up. Passing all of my silver's and skills so golden should be fairly easy.